July decluttering 2014

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
So ... dd decluttered at least a dozen pairs of flip-flops, 31 sweaters, 29 camis, 5 skirts, and 19 (pants, shorts, leggings)!! wow! that girl sure had alot.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Wow Lucie I do not think I ever owned that much at one time - good for her!! :)

I went through 23 and a bit of paperwork this week! Shredded two large plastic bags of paperwork (from old reports to bills of sale to manuals for items we have not had in years!), and organized 23 years of tax info into one file folder box - with each year completed and filed in order. It was a huge task I am glad to be done with. Something that I kept on thinking of getting to - but really did not want to commit to the days it took.

I have been going room to room and finding places or getting rid of it - keep you posted how that goes!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am using this cold July day to sort through my desk...
I am throwing out lots of old work papers and pay slips, tidying up my family history papers, and looking at my stock of birthday and Christmas cards. I am glad that job is done.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I need to join you girls on the paperwork...just not there, yet...SMH...

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'd like to do a whole house declutter job.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Right before I went to Jay's, Iwent thrum some books and old plastic Christmas dishes. I have a box to take to a thrift store! I need to do more! But when? I don't know.

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
Y'all are on fire! I did clean out my clothes closet and have a few boxes to take to good will..I am also diving into the paperwork piles and slowing making some progress there..this is a busy month for us with vacation, so will probably do little projects..craft room needs a serious clean though..

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
LittleElf, great job on the garage. I would love to get stuck into ours, but it is DHs domain and I am not allowed.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I decluttered the extra's pantry. I have linens in there too. All the extra items for the bathrooms are now in one place and easy to see. All the carpet cleaning crap is together. Extra kitchen stuff is all together. Now other people can find items without shoving stuff all over.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Today I tackled the storage in the bathroom - put three electric shavers in the donate box, bagged up two old bath sheet towels for the animal shelter, and tossed several bottles of products that we do not use or expired.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DH bought a box of old china in from the shed. I went through it, kept two things I like and the rest I am taking to a coffee shop near my work. They use mis-matched china for serving. Now I have an empty box. :)

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I have spent all of my spare time decluttering my kitchen cabinets. The food that was thrown out because it was expired and wasted is embarrassing.

I went to Wal Mart yesterday to replace things and was paying careful attention to the expiration dates because on more than one occasion I've come home with expired food I'd bought minutes earlier. I honestly think I'm going to stop shopping there for anything with an expiration date. I looked as though 90% of the items I needed were set to expire in a month or so. A few items were expired and others due to expire within days. I went to another store and the shelf life was much greater. Wal mart has a much larger purchasing and delivery process that takes almost a month or two longer than your average retail super market.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I looked as though 90% of the items I needed were set to expire in a month or so. A few items were expired and others due to expire within days. I went to another store and the shelf life was much greater. Wal mart has a much larger purchasing and delivery process that takes almost a month or two longer than your average retail super market.
Our Walmart has a greater turnover rate than our local store. The local store has a lot of unexpired items on their shelves. Maybe because some of their prices are a $1 more than Walmart. Walmart is big but our local store is owned by another very large corporation so there is no excuse for their higher prices.

I do buy my meat from the local store. Walmart's meat are injected with either water or broth by up to 25%. I do not want to pay for water at meat prices.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I need to declutter my car!

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Last week, I finally FINALLY got DD to take some things I offered her years or months ago. I had some really nice Correlle baking dishes. She finally took the shoe cubby that i do not have room for. Hallelujah! Now if she would just come get some books. I will give her one more chance, and then they will go to a thrift store!

Now, I need to tidy up my kutchen cabinet.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
The decluttering is certainly on ongoing issue. I am doing well with my things, but DH has got so much stuff that I would love to go through. He is very hesitant though, and unless he is in the mood, there is no point even talking about it.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
July De-clutter Area

Well, everyone is doing well!

Me ... I fell off wagon.

But hubby did do his stuff in April. So, here I am again!

De-Clutter Areas
January – Homeschool Books
February – Craft Box of UFO’s
March – My clothes (closet, t-shirts, sweaters, pj’s)
April – DH clothes (closet, dresser)
May
June
July – Computer room book shelves

hollybow

Retire Member
May 19, 2008
Wie just started a huge project with remodeling our livingroom ... Boy... sitting between boxes and wished I never started ...