June declutter club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Saturday, I packed a 13 gallon trash bag with clothes. Dd26 called today and wants to have a rummage sale in fall. Since consignment store is no longer taking clothing at this time, I'll sell most of it then.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
When cleaning this weekend until last night, 2 bags of trash out, Allen and Ryan worked in spare (junk) room that we have just been putting in since about May of ‘19. You can walk in there and see the walls. More moving of stuff to do and sorting but…..95 percent better. They burnt a lot and not sure what but….. guess if I haven’t used it since then……

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I thought I had finished cleaning the photo trunk but looking with fresh eyes I can do more. I have 2 albums of my wedding photos so will condense them into one.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Some antique food from the pantry
Sounds so much nicer using "antique."

I cleaned out the car and found a time capsule of papers that went to the trash. I also found a few cloth masks tucked into the seat pockets. I'm actually going to save them form posterity. My mom made some cute cloth masks and it will go with my pandemic papers.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
4 boxes of books are in the car for the church fete this weekend. Happy dance.

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
I think this is the first time I've looked at the decluttering thread(s) here. I've been burnt out lately, and having piles of junk everywhere doesn't help, does it?
Feeling inspired now. I need to go through my books... Does anyone struggle to declutter books?

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Does anyone struggle to declutter books?
Whusky - as a former librarian I find it hard to declutter books unless there is some obvious reason like excessive wear or damage. However, now I try to buy only books that I use for reference - like cookbooks, my personal favorites.

But, I do like to buy books. I try to give the ones I don't keep to people I know will read them. Last resort is the library.

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
Whusky - as a former librarian I find it hard to declutter books unless there is some obvious reason like excessive wear or damage. However, now I try to buy only books that I use for reference - like cookbooks, my personal favorites.

But, I do like to buy books. I try to give the ones I don't keep to people I know will read them. Last resort is the library.
Ahh, I'm friends with my local librarians, and I've been told about their own home-libraries lol.
I think my problem with books really started after the pandemic. When all the libraries closed, I felt it. I was frightened that I wouldn't be able to get my hands on books to read, so I've been stocking up over the last couple of years.
I've only just had this realisation :confused:
I was considering buying another bookcase earlier. I think what I need to do is glaringly obvious...

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Does anyone struggle to declutter books?
Yes, I struggle. I love books and I love reading. Really the only reason we have just done a huge declutter of books/magazines is because we are moving next year and I want to take as little as possible.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I gave up most of my books when I started decluttering with flylady. Now with the internet I can find what I need at the tip of my fingers. No storing, no dusting or finding a place for them. Once in a while I will purchase a book. Not long ago I wanted to re-read a series and the local library had a 20 week wait so I bought the series in paperback, read them and donated them to the library.

I use to collect cookbooks. I gave them away during a move. Only cookbook I think about is the first edition I had from Julia Child. But I never cooked a thing from it for all the years I had it. I figure I made someone really happy.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
My friend is moving at the end of the month. She de-cluttered some stuff and I went to her house and picked up her stuff and went to donate it away for her at the Humane Society!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I think this is the first time I've looked at the decluttering thread(s) here. I've been burnt out lately, and having piles of junk everywhere doesn't help, does it?
Feeling inspired now. I need to go through my books... Does anyone struggle to declutter books?
I do all the time! I love books and buy and also get Teigan several!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I struggle, too. I have children's books that my children had growing up! Oldest is 38, youngest is 26! Lol!

girlfromthebog

MHH Member
Jun 3, 2023
NY
i've been on a long time mission to declutter, but i still hold on to things and accumulate things, and forget to deal with older things. this year i'm starting the HHP early, but focusing mainly on the home areas each week (rather than the holiday prep) this go around. yesterday i took advantage of the day off to tackle the master bedroom. there's a long way to go but i took a good pass at a bunch of stuff that was actually trash, in addition to setting up a new shoe shelf in the there (finishing a project counts as decluttering!) anyways, hopefully by end of week the bedroom will be in better shape than it was (and better is good). :)

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I, finally, cleaned and organized the bathroom linen/storage closet. A lot of expired medicines disposed of. Some pieces of this and that thrown away (nail polish, hair care products, lotions).

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
i'm starting the HHP early, but focusing mainly on the home areas each week (rather than the holiday prep)
My HGP is very modified. I do not have the same rooms as are listed on the HGP. Also I find I am pretty well set with the Christmas side of things so I just concentrate on the room by room cleaning and organising.