Looking for dessert contest categories & prizes

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

tracya

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Me and a friend are in charge of our sons' Blue & Gold Banquet for Cub Scouts. We're having a dessert-making contest and we need some categories to award prizes to. We want to do a Best Presentation and are stumped on what else we can give awards for. Also, we want to make the prizes kitchen oriented (aprons, kitchen utensils, ovent mitts, etc). Does anyone have any more ideas for prizes and a neat way to present them? The categories are what's really stumping us. Thanks ladies!

johnasmom

Retire Member
Dec 18, 2007
Central Michigan
Maybe a "most unique" or "most colorful". I may even brainstorm something on the color theme of the banquet or maybe even the Cub Scouts- Nothing is coming to me right now though.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I posted a reply to this earlier and it's gone. Very strange.

Are you doing a test taste along with this? You could do a Most Delicious or let the kids taste it and have them pick a favorite. There were some more ideas I had and now I can't remember. Where did my previous post go??

pattycakes

Retire Member
Nov 4, 2007
shutterbugsmd.blogspot.com
As an 8-year veteran of Blue and Gold cake bakes (well, of course the Scouts and dad did it, but I was an event organizer!) here are some of the categories we used in our Pack:

Biggest cake
Smallest cake--my older son won this category one year for making a mini-cupcake!
Best fits the B&G theme--whatever that is this year
Best Scouting theme
Ugliest cake--Scout MUST state upon contest entry that he wants his cake in this category!!!!!
Best cartoon cake
Best food cake (looks like hot dog, hamburger, etc)
Judges' Choice--best of the best

Our Pack insisted on the cakes being TOTALLY edible--no Lego characters or toothpicks holding things together or anything. For the birthday of Cub Scouting a couple of years ago, my younger son made a birthday cake--sheet cake decorated in Cub Scouting's colors and complete with candles--those pirouette cookies topped with orange fruit roll-ups!!!! Totally edible--and he got Judges' Choice. It looked great and tasted pretty good, too! (Not that we did a taste test--it was strictly appearances--and Mom couldn't help at all--it was a Dad/Son event.)

Our prizes were trophies and Cake Bake patches that we ordered from patch.com I'm not sure how kitchen items would go over with a Tiger or Wolf Scout. But everyone loves a patch!!!!! Especially if they have the red vest to show them off! One year the Pack tried certificates and the kids were disappointed. Maybe some prizes from the Scout store???? They have cool fold-up eating utensils that they may like--perfect for camping!

Good luck!!! I look back with great love on my Cub Scout days!!!!

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
pattycakes, your info was pretty much what I was thinking. My DS11 just crossed over to boy scouts last year. Our blue & gold banquet dessert contest always involved the decorating of a cake or dessert. The catergories I can remember were:

best blue & gold dessert
best theme cake - based on the year's theme
best achievement cake - based on an achievement/pin/belt loop the scout earned that year
judge's choice - best of the best
best camping cake - based on campout theme

We had patches as prizes also. And, I think, scout store bucks for the judge's choice winner. The winners were also allowed to take the centerpieces home - usually a small potted plant.

tracya

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Well after reading through some of these replies I see that we might not be going about this as everyone else has done. We're pretty new to the whole scouting thing and didn't realize that most packs make this a son/father project. We just wanted every family to contribute a dessert to have after our dinner. If that's the case, I'm sure young boys would not appreciate any kitchen gadgets--looks like I might be heading to the scout store. Our banquet is on February 10th so I doubt I'd have enough time to order patches. I appreciate all the help everyone has given so far.

tracya

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Hey Mrs. Soup, I solved the mystery; I know where your earlier replies went. Somehow my topic got posted twice and your replies are in the second one, thanks again for the ideas.

pattycakes

Retire Member
Nov 4, 2007
shutterbugsmd.blogspot.com
Tracy, regarding patches: you could for this year just get generic Blue and Gold Banquet patches--they make a different one every year.

The cookbooks are a great idea, Jackfrosty!!! I know there's a Cubbie one for simple cooking projects--in the kitchen and outside--and there's a cool Dutch Oven Scout Cookbook that I own that may be of more use for older Scouts, but any of them would like that!

Have fun with this, Tracy and let us know how it goes on the 10th!!!