Luncheon with friends

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/luncheon.html. I don't know for you but these recipes make me feel all warm & fuzzy inside...
Tomato and Herb Soup
Ingredients:
2 1/2 pounds ripe plum tomatoes
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups chopped onion
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
extra basil leaves, whole
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups milk
In a large pot of boiling water blanch the ripe tomatoes for 10 seconds. Cool slightly and peel off the skins. Cut tomatoes in half, remove seeds and chop. In a large saucepan, cook the onion in the olive oil until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper, and chicken broth. Simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered. Spoon 3/4 of the mixture into food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Return to pan, add the basil and milk. Simmer until JUST heated through. Stir in chives and divide into bowls. Garnish with a fresh basil leaf. Makes 6 servings.

Thyme-Rosemary Tea Bread
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix in the thyme and rosemary and set aside. In large bowl, mix egg, sugar and oil with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until combined. Add in milk and blend well. Add flour mixture and mix until smooth. Pour into a buttered 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Bake 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when tested.Brush with melted butter, remove from pan and serve warm with additional butter.

Herbed Chicken Salad
Ingredients:
2 cups diced, cooked chicken
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1/2 cup toasted almonds, chopped
Dressing:
2/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons milk
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. pepper
4 tablespoons fresh snipped chives
1 tablespoon fresh tarragon
Spring lettuce mixture
Pansies
Stir mayonnaise, lemon juice, milk, mustard and pepper in a large bowl until well blended. Stir in herbs. Add chicken, celery and almonds. Stir gently to mix. Line a platter with the spring lettuce (one small bag will be plenty) Place the chicken salad in the center of the platter and arrange the pansies around the edges. Note: Pansies, nasturtiums and violets are edible. Whether you buy them or use your own be sure they are chemical free.

Orange Iced Tea
Ingredients:
6 oranges, washed
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup boiling water
4 cups black tea, chilled
ice cubes
fresh mint sprigs
With sharp knife, cut peel from one orange in a spiral motion so it's all one piece. Cut spiral into 6 long narrow strips; set aside. Slice peeled orange and 2 unpeeled oranges into a large bowl. Add sugar; crush with large wooden spoon or bottom of a glass until sugar is dissolved. Add water; crush the slices again. Let steep 15 minutes. Strain the mixture and combine with the tea. Fill glasses with ice cubes and add tea. Garnish by twisting reserved peel around straws or dropping in the ice tea with a sprig of mint. 6 servings.

Sponge Cake with Raspberry Sauce
Ingredients:
6 eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tsp. grated lemon or orange peel
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup cake flour
2/3 tsp. salt
Sauce:
1 cup fresh raspberries
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease and flour the bottom of a 10 inch tube or Bundt pan. Sift flour and salt. Set aside. Break eggs into a large bowl. Add lemon juice and grated rind. Beat at high speed with electric mixer until soft peaks form, 12-16 minutes. Add sugar to egg mixture in a fine stream while beating eggs for about 2 more minutes. Change to lowest speed and add flour mixture. Scrape sides and beat for 30 seconds. Pour batter into pan and bake 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Place pan upside down on cooling rack, but do not remove cake until cooled.

Sauce: Combine cornstarch with 1 tablespoon cold water; stir to make a smooth paste. Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in sugar, raspberries, and cornstarch mixture; bring to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Cool. Cut the cake into slices and top with sauce. You can sprinkle with confectioner's sugar and top with chocolate shavings for an extra touch.
Copyright 2000-Brenda Hyde

Rackandrollgal

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
Great Smoky Mountains
oh yummmmm!!!!! Printing them out as I type! Thaks a million! :pink:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
What a lovely, cozy sounding menu! I love the sound of it...I may have to plan a luncheon just to serve these goodies! Thanks for sharing!! "heartstrings:

I am joining a girls night out tonight with some Moms and teachers from my boys' school. I haven't been out with just adults in a looong time...lol We are going to someone's house for happy hour and then to a bar/restaurant for dinner!!! I am pretty excited about it but nervous too because most of these people have known each other for quite some time and I don't know them all THAT well. I wish all of you lived in my town....lol