Magazine Challenge

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
A few of us have discovered that our magazines have been piling up on us.
A friend of mine swears that magazines like to go into dark corners and reproduce.

For me, I've decided that the 1st two weeks of August need to be devoted to going through and catching up with my magazines.

August 1-15- Magazines only.

Anyone care to join?

Annie

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
In starting this- I should say that Sunday is also our day for our Christmas in July Book discussion! I don't want to miss that!

Annie

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Annie, count me in. Perhaps we can have a cup of tea and some cookies as we read through our magazines.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Annie - You know I'm in! I have stacks of magazines in nearly every room in this house!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Me too! I need to make some room for the new holiday magazines that start coming out at the end of August!!!!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I'll join in also. Mine isn't too bad b/c I lost my magazine basket to be used as something else but I still have plenty. Mine go to work b/c we have some really, really old ones there I get tired of looking at.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I'm in. I was looking through the pile I have the other day and saw some from 2008. I need to go through them, take out what I want and get rid of the rest.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Doodlebug- Tea, cookies while going through magazines sounds positivly delightful!

I'm glad others are interested!

Annie

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I too am joining in. I can remember not too awfully long ago that I anxiously waited for my next addition of my favorite magazine...now it seems they are coming every week or so because I still have some still in the plastic they were mailed in! I NEED this badly!!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Foxpaw - I still have magazines in plastic too! Sometimes I'll be in the grocery store and I'll look at a magazine on that rack that I have a subscription too and think "hey, I did not get that issue!" but when I get home and really look - I have it, just have not gotten to it yet.

Like Colleen, I want to get ready for my favorite fall and Christmas issues!

sallyj08

MHH Member
Feb 5, 2008
I'm a magazine addict and need to clear them out of here! There are stacks around the house!

Tea and cookies sounds great!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I notice that if I buy a magazine at the grocery store I make time to read it.
If I then get a subscription to that very same magazine, I don't take the time to look at it.

Wierd, I don't know why I do that.

Also- every year for Christmas my mom gets all of us kids a subscription to National Geographic. That is a wonderful, informative magazine. But do I ever take the time to look through it- NO!!!

Annie

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm one of those people who are buried right now, so I'm so in!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Okay, many of us have vowed to climb the mountain of magazines! My next question for all you magazine-a-holics is how do you go through them? Do you tear articles out? Copy ideas down? Then what do you do with all the things you want to keep?

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
I just tackled this challenge! For the past month I have been going thru all of my magazines (mostly food mags) and tearing out the recipes that looked interesting to me. Then I trimmed around the recipe and glued it to card stock that I hole punched to fit in a binder. Then I sorted them all out by category: salads, appetizers, soups, main dish (sorted by protein), desserts (kept the cakes together, cookies together...). And I keep this in a big binder. My goal is to go thru and pick one or two recipes a week to try. If it's a keeper and the family likes it, the recipe gets moved into another binder where I keep the "good" recipes. I'm on week two of trying new recipes and so far so good.

I was sure to recycle the magazines when I was finished.

Good luck everyone! It sure felt good to get those magazines off the shelf!!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Carol - I'm in awe! What a wonderful way to handle the recipes! Thanks for sharing your project details!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
In the front of my Christmas notebook I have 4 file folders. As I go through the magazines, I tear out what I want and put them in the folders. Recipes, Decorations, Jokes/Stories and Crafts. When I have time I go through the files and pull things out like a recipe or decorating idea. If I try it and it is a keeper I will either make a copy or hole punch the original and put it into my Christmas notebook in the appropriate section.

Sounds complicated, but it really isn't.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I go through and tear out what I want- especially recipes.

My next step is to do exactly what Carol did.
Carol- that's a good suggestion on the card stock. I was planning on doing mine on plain ol computer paper.

I also want to do a special binder just for holiday recipes/table scapes, etc.

But- at the rate my time gets filled up- I'm VERY tempted to gather everything up and hole myself up in a hotel somewhere. Just me, my magazine cut outs, binders, glues sticks, tabs, pens, card stock.

Sounds like a plan to me.........