making a book

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
hi,

i've found a site that allows you to make and publish your own books very cheaply (uk). well i plan on making a book for the new elf to bring like a training manual etc. (we're thinking she works in the library/bookshop, that way elf and xmas books can appear in the house throughout the year).

anyway, the minimum amount of pages is 20! doesnt sound to bad until your trying to find things to put in it.

so far i have:

*a welcome page with written about elves, the training etc
*an elf with speach bubble that says "there is no such thing as a stupid question, apart from the 1 you dont ask" any questions???
*elf notes - things like elves dont like violence, elves are happy etc
*5 pages on elf training - the things they can/have to do - reading, writing, sleigh driving and many more
*elf pictures - doing some of the elf training
*list of girl/boy elf names

this takes me to 11pages and i'm now totally stuck as to what i can put on the remaining 9 pages. any ideas???

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
That is great! I'd just love to see your book once it's finished! this will be such a treasure. :)

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
That is great! I'd just love to see your book once it's finished! this will be such a treasure. :)

as soon as i get it sorted and its printed and here i will add pics. the site does give me the option of putting it up for sale as well, but i dont think its to a high enough standard.

but as you say it will be a great keepsake. i dont know if they ship to USA, but i will have a look. x

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Amy - Can you make a few pages sort of memory page that the kids can fill out (maybe a page for each of them?) Questions like:

My favorite elf memory is:

I wish my elf would (might get you some insight on new activities)

If I were an elf I would:

JeniferDwn

MHH Member
Jul 21, 2010
Florence SC
www.jeniferdwn.blogspot.com
I made several elf books last year which included the "courses" they take to learn all the elf jobs, jobs they've completed and current jobs, all kinds of stuff, don't know if any of it would help you or not, but I'd be happy to send it to you. You are welcome to use any of it or maybe it'll give you some ideas. I do like the memory part for the kids to fill out or even just blank space for pictures you take.

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
I made several elf books last year which included the "courses" they take to learn all the elf jobs, jobs they've completed and current jobs, all kinds of stuff, don't know if any of it would help you or not, but I'd be happy to send it to you. You are welcome to use any of it or maybe it'll give you some ideas. I do like the memory part for the kids to fill out or even just blank space for pictures you take.

hi,

that would be great if you could share them.

amy. x

christmasrocks

MHH Member
May 30, 2008
Scotland
What website did you use to do this? I'd really like to take a look at the website and perhaps make one myself. :)

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
What website did you use to do this? I'd really like to take a look at the website and perhaps make one myself. :)

hi,

i started off on lulu.com, but then i found a site i got on better with - http://uk.blurb.com/

i've not sent it to print yet as still need to finish it.

**i didnt say, our 4th elf if going to work in the library/book shop, this is how we are coming by the book written by our 1st elf! plus it means if i see any books on elfs or christmas during the year i can get them and add to the xmas dvd/book shelf - she has sent them another book as it was getting tatty in library. x**

Last edited:

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
hi,

well, the book has been checked, checked again and spell checked twice, the site kept trying to change everything to USA spelling though.

i hit order, i hit upload i hit purchase, i hit pay - the book is on its way and should be here by 8th july!!! it cost me £13 in total with shipping, but never mind, my boys will love it!

Mouse2

Retire Member
Jun 29, 2011
London, United Kingdom
Sounds like such a great idea.

Could also add favourite elf recipies.

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
Wow Amy, how exciting! Can you post pics when it arrives? I have my first full year teaching in August and think it would be a great thing to do with my class, it has so many possibilities. Thank you so much for sharing.

PS...also want an elf manual ;)

yes i will post pics when it arrives (they said upto 14days but then said 8th).

there was alady on here from australia who is teacher and has an elf at school, maybe she could help you out (sorry i cant remember her name).

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
hi,

its arrived!!!! i cant wait 4 kids to go bed so i can open it!!! will let u no wat it like n add pics later

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
hi,

all i can say is i'm well pleased with it! looks great.

only thing i will say if any of you do decide to make 1 through the company i used (blurb.com) PLEASE make sure your photos are as high quality/res as possible as a few of mine are pixaletd, not that it has ruined it etc. just adding pics to my laptop then will add to my album on here.

nicurn92

MHH Member
Sep 25, 2008
your book looks super cute! I think I would like to make an elf book now too! :) have any of y'all ever seen the book series with "a very young dancer" (gymnast, horse rider, etc). I think it would be fun to do one for an elf. A very young dancer was all about a little girl who took ballet and was trying very hard to get into the nutcracker (it was my favourite book ever when I was 7-8) but it would be fun to do a very young elf all leading up to his/her first visit to a family.

maggie

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
hi,

thank you for your comments. i hope the boys like it. we have sorted out a shelf for all the xmas dvds and books. i have emailed the boys (from elf) that they will have to keep an eye out on the xmas shelf as he (elf) may leave books from time to time - not necessarily xmas ones!

so far none have arrived but i did get a parcel today that i believe is elves and shoemaker, got a xmas elf mouse 1 the othe day

a book about a family of elves having a baby and it going through school/training etc then being asked to be a visiting elf and its adventures could be ggreat.