Master bedroom week HGP

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Where to start? LOL
I need to tackle the dreaded closet LOL
I have a 10 foot walk in closet in the house that
I inherited from my mom. And it still has her stuff, and my stuff.
(AND I MEAN STUFFED!) Most of my holiday decor is in there some where.

Tasha

Retire Member
Dec 29, 2007
Arkansas
I really need to get my bedroom cleaned out this week. My closet would be nice as well but I'm thinking I'll be able to purge a few things and that might be it.

I'll write a better list later, trying to squeeze as much as I can in during my son's nap time.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Wow, a 10 foot closet! Leave breadcrumbs to find your way out again :)

My "Master bedroom" is under renovation, the room we are now sleeping in looks like a book store and a yarn store exploded!

It seriously needs some clean-out. Will package up most of the books, ready for the renovations.
Go through ALL our clothes and toss what we do not wear - and clean up my yarn by actually completing the two scarves I have started and stopped too many times!

I even have a few boxes of candles I need to take an inventory of, and some board games that do NOT belong there. Think we will be able to clean out most of the clutter and get a better sleep.

Do need to add new pillows and a blanket to our list of 'to buy' items. Our pillows are several years past there comfortable, and my husband likes a lot of blankets :)

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
my master bedroom is in need of major help. I will not be doing anything that cost $$ to it though. I have summer stuff in one are that needs to go up, can't shut one wardrobe door and there are clothes everywhere. Ugh. It's DH and me in there. Plus my closet is also spilling. I am embarressed to admit I have almost 50 "jackets" (anything that buttons or zips-hoodies, sweaters, cardigans,winter coats, spring coats...) I also need to organize some stuff and find the Christmas gifts I do have in there.

Here is my starter list-
*take summer things to attic
*straighten out pants
*clean up jewelry area
*sort shirts
*clean up DHs shirts
*clean out under bed (put extra blankets some where else?)
*closet- go through my clothes
*bucket of school supplies some to keep down rest into attic
** more to come I am sure.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I am far behind this year - I have been trying to keep family stuff going so I haven't done much on the HGP yet. Well, not exactly true, I have mostly sorted the garden, and I have been making progress on lists and gift purchasing over the past couple of months, and made about 8 cards in the past 2 weeks. And I had managed to give my bedroom a good clear out during the summer, so it's not in terrible shape. But I am not getting the cleaning done generally and I need to start to get the main present buying sorted, as well as plan the festive calendar - mostly in terms of organising a Santa outing for DD (I was too late to book the Santa train this year, which was the original plan).

So this week, my plan is:

[x] Change sheets on my bed
[x] Change sheets on DD's bed
[x] Sort summer clothes for seasonal change
[] Put away summer clothes
[] Take out winter clothes
[] Clear off dressing table
[] Sort jewellery
[] Tidy hair and nails drawer
[] Dust bedroom
[x] Clear off bedroom chair
[] Remove stain from bedroom chair (spilt makeup)
[] Clear books clutter from bedside
[] Clean bedroom windows
[] Dust air vent
[x] Change bathroom towels
[x] Put away at least 6" of papers in sitting room
[x] Tidy magazines in basket, and throw out ones I won't use
[] Dust sitting room bookcases
[] Hoover sitting room to skirtings

[] Make more cards (aiming for 10)
[] Sew buttons on 3 crayon rolls
[] Sew up 1 beanie hat
[] Knit a few more rows of other beanie hat
[] Work on tree decorations for siblings stockings

[] Keep working on emptying out freezer (can't restock until I clear old stocks)
[] Start purchasing things for sewing hamper for KK sister
[] Decide what to get DH
[] Put aside a box for food drive collection

Last edited:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Another week!!! Yipe!

This should be an easier week to hit my goals on. Knocking on wood as I say that!

Master Bedroom Tasks:

[ ] Dust ceiling for cobwebs
[ ] Clean fan blades
[ ] Dust blinds/spot clean as needed
[ ] Windex windows/Clean window sills
[ ] Sort/Org my dresser
[ ] Sort/Org DH’s dresser
{ }Pack away/Donate what he doesn’t use!!!
[ ] Empty, clean and reorganize closet
{ } Flip seasons in our closets
{ }Reserve some summer clothes
[X] Dust
[ ] Vacuum behind dressers, etc.
[ ] Wipe down baseboards/Wipe down light switches/Etc.
[ ] Wash and put out fall/winter bedding
[ ] Wash and put away summer bedding

Holiday Prep:

[ ] Put up fall decor
[ ] Continue craft projects for Christmas gifts

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm working in the bedroom. Dusting, cleaning nicknacks and polishing furniture today.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I am waiting for DH to leave on his business trip to China tomorrow before I tackle the master bedroom (& closet). Both are in serious need of attention. Why is it that our bedroom becomes the catch-all? Most of the stuff doesn't even belong there *sigh*. That's OK, my mom is coming to help out and she LOVES a good project! Of course, I'm also hoping I can talk her into helping me paint the kitchen - LOL! No, seriously. If I tape everything the night before, the 2 of us should be able to finish it in one day. A girl can dream!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Colleen - good for you painting & decluttering.

Instead of master bedroom this week, I did dd's bedroom.

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
Again I am off plan with you guys. This week I am working on my living room. Moved the furniture around today (Thank God for those sliding things that go under the furniture :) ) but just couldn't arrange it the way I liked sooooooo I'll try again tomorrow. I have to get it done in the morning.

Taking a few days off tomorrow afternoon through Thursday for some much needed R&R. Heading out of town for a few days.

I still need to paint my front door. My front porch week was last week. And I'll have to go back and reclean the porch floor after my climbing vines die off.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Yesterday I cleaned the ceiling, ceiling fan, molding and walls.
Today is the cabinetry. I have all built-ins.
I hope to tackle the drawers or closets as well but I'll be okay if it's just one or the other.

How's everyone doing on their Master Bedrooms?

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I found the bottom of three drawers, and half the floor. :) Yep, it is still a lot of work needed! This room it seems to have turned into the place to dump things!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
I am making some progress this week - at last!!

[x] Put away summer clothes
[x] Take out winter clothes
[] Clear off dressing table
[] Sort jewellery
[x] Tidy hair and nails drawer
[] Dust bedroom
[x] Clear books clutter from bedside
[] Clean bedroom windows
[] Dust air vent

[] Make more cards (aiming for 10)
[] Sew up 1 beanie hat

[x] Keep working on emptying out freezer (can't restock until I clear old stocks)
[] Decide what to get DH
[x] Put aside a box for food drive collection

Every little job done makes a difference!!
The only problem with having sorted the bookcase and magazines in the living room the other night is that DD then decided to get out the baking books to start looking for what she will make for her classmates and teachers for Christmas, and a cake sale for a local charity that she's planning in about 4 weeks time (DD is only 6.5, so lots of :) in seeing this take shape, but also a bit :0 )

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I'm weird. :) Instead of working on the master bedroom, yesterday I tore into DS's room. His closet is now sparkling and organized. His toys are sorted and organized.

Too small clothes and toys hes outgrown have been put away for next years garage sale.

Storage drawers under bed have been emptied, cleaned, repaired and refilled.

So I did make some progress, just not in the room I planned on. Does that ever just happen to you? lol

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
So I did make some progress, just not in the room I planned on. Does that ever just happen to you? lol

Oh yes...regularly! ;) After work yesterday I switched beds in the boy's rooms...moved DS7's twin into DS3's room (still have to take down his toddler bed) and brought up a queen bed from storage for DS7. Washed and changed all of the bedding and rearranged most of the remaining furniture in both rooms. Whew! I still have to do their closets, but that will happen this weekend. Of course, the master bedroom has not been touched!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
LOL! :)

Ok, I did do a little in the master bedroom. Dusted ceiling corners, ceiling fan and dusted one window's mini blinds.

UGH! Few tasks I hate more!!! Although, this was my first really successful attempt to do so somewhat quickly. I used dryer softener sheets and it seemed to work pretty well.

Plan to finish the other window's blinds tonight. If possible, I'll windex the window glass and clean out the sills too.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have a little let to do in my bedroom. Two shelves in the closet that need some work. Mainly wrapping gifts since I have stuck some Christmas gifts up there.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
[x] Put away summer clothes
[x] Take out winter clothes
[/] Clear off dressing table (did half the job)
[] Sort jewellery
[x] Tidy hair and nails drawer
[] Dust bedroom
[x] Clear books clutter from bedside
[] Clean bedroom windows
[] Dust air vent

[x][x][][][][][] Make more cards (aiming for 10)
[] Sew up 1 beanie hat

[x] Keep working on emptying out freezer (can't restock until I clear old stocks)
[] Decide what to get DH
[x] Put aside a box for food drive collection

Aunt Jamelle, you are far from the only one to do that and tackle the "wrong" room!!! But I reckon that every little job I do helps towards to overall goal.

This week, I have made more progress in the bedroom than I feared, and I have also made good progress in the sitting room on the books (although DH may look askance at the 3' tower of old magazines that I want to rip recipes from before I bin them). But I KNOW that I have already dumped a 2' tower of magazines, and another big box load of papers and other rubbish, so I refuse to feel guilty.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Winged One - It looks like you made awesome progress on your list!

I finished dusting the other set of mini blinds last night. Also cleaned both windows with Windex and newspaper.

Between tonight and tomorrow morning I plan to tackle our closet. If I can get that done I'll be really happy! Summer clothes need to get packed away, etc.

Holiday Prep:

- Tried DS's Halloween costume on last night. He looked so cute! It is a Nemo costume and he loved wearing it. Wouldn't let me take it off, actually, so he played in it a while. lol

Now I just have to find/pick up a pair of black sweatpants to wear under the fish part of the costume and we are all set. Located his little plastic pumpkin the other day.

- Plan to finish putting up Hallowee decor this weekend too, with totes neatly, ahem, back in the attic :)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm working in the living room still..I've adjusted my weeks, because I've been sick. Yesterday, I did manage to dust everything, including my photos. And I stripped my couch and all the cushions to wash in the washer. Today I'm going to tackle cleaning the frame with a formula I found on the internet. I still need to wipe down the door frames and the baseboards. We'll see how far I get with that. It may have to wait till tomorrow.