Master bedroom week HGP

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
So here we are and this week is almost over. With my crazy work schedule I ahve not gotten much done. I did sort through the pants today and think I will go do the drawers in a few minutes while DH watches NASCAR. I need to pack for our weekend away.

*take summer things to attic done
*straighten out pants done
*clean up jewelry area
*sort shirts
*clean up DHs shirts done
*clean out under bed (put extra blankets some where else?) done
*closet- go through my clothes
*bucket of school supplies some to keep down rest into attic done

my list didn't even look long and yet didn't get much done. Oh well always another day :) keep up the good work ladies.

Last edited:

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
DH will be mowing tomorrow, so I will tackle this first off. I don't have much because of my major cleanout this summer, but I would like to get some new curtains and curtain rod for this room. That may need to wait until payday Tuesday. I have some candles in the china cabinet that I want to relocate to under our bed so I can put some things in the bottom where the candles were. It'a like a merry-go-round, isn't it...this cleaning thing? You clean in one place and shift, shift, shift things to other places, so round and round we go!

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Jane, that's been the way of it here as well, except I'm actually taking things out of where they don't belong and putting them where they are needed, used and accessible.

One example is our underclothes. DH gets up at 3am. He showers, dresses, heads into the breakfast area where his eyeglasses, phone, money clip and shoes are waiting and leaves for work. After being woken up several times with him trying to find underclothes I knew that we had to resolve this issue. We have floor to ceiling wall units in the bathroom so I simply cleared a shelf and put his t-shirts, underwear & socks on one shelf. Problem solved. Why they were ever put in the bedroom I'll never know because in the 32 years we've been married he has never once dressed in the bedroom.

Where are your candles used? I have a sneaking suspicion that it's not in your bedroom. I have certain candles for each room. I keep the extras for each one in a basket in that room.

One thing I did do this time with HGP is actually assembled baskets for each room containing the supplies I needed to maintain that room. I want things when I need them, where I need them............not under the kitchen sink where I never have needed furniture polish or electronics spray while doing dishes. LOL I just finished the living room and in my Living Room Cleaning Basket I have:
Windex
Furniture polish
Electronic's cleaner
Spare scentsy
Lamb's wool duster
Febreeze
Extra AAA batteries for the remotes
Extra micro CFL bulbs for the ceiling fans
Mini blind duster
Mini dustpan and hand brush
Paper towels

It doesn't take alot of room because I bought the small spray bottles that you normally find in the travel stuff at Wal Mart and filled one with the Windex, one with the Febreeze and one with the polish. It's small, but for a single room use it lasts several months.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Ellen thanks for sharing your cleaning basket contents, I like knowing what others have in theirs :)

We have one in each of the bathroom, the kitchen, diningroom and living room share theirs, each of the boys rooms has their own (they are supposed to use them lol) and one in the master bedroom. The basement/ laundry area has a shelf as it also contains the refills for the room baskets!

I use a small snap lid tote for my car, it has window wipes, surface wipes, paper towels and extra garbage mini bags. I drive a SMALL car so space is a premium!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Ellen, I used to work for a couple when I was in high school that stored the entire famly's underwear in their bathrooms - whichever one they used - which is perfect if there's room.

These particular candles are seasonal or just extras. I do a lot of decorating for various events and never know what color or type of candles I will use, so I pick them up on clearance sometimes - especially unique shapes that would add interest, and that is what most of these are. So really, I just need a "home" for them until they are needed.

You are very blessed to live in a house with so much storage. My house is almost storage spaceless. We have three clothes closets and two shelves in a closet in the bathroom for towels. That's it for closets. I have cabinets over the washer and dryer and in the kitchen. That's it for cabinets; bookshelves built at the end of the hall and three free standing bookshelves that are about 3 x 4 in various places, that's it for shelves. That's one of the reasons we bought a storage shed because there really is no storage space in the house, but it's too hot for the candles out there!

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Jane, your house sounds just like this one until we rebuilt after Rita. It was 1,100 sq. ft. and none of the bedrooms had closets. I'd made wall units and storage by taking plain bookcases and adding legs and bi-fold doors. I think it was around that time I taught myself to use power tools. I'm no carpenter but I can cut wood and use a hammer. LOL

I know about the heat and storage all too well. I've lost alot of money by storing things in the attic or garage so I understand completely.

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
Still working on Living room and front porch. Finishing up leftovers.

My DH re-arranged my furniture (in the middle of the night......he couldn't sleep) So I woke up to a pleasant surprise :)

I painted the first coat on my front door. I bought a burnt orange to make the door "pop" ummmmm now I'm thinking maybe I was missing Fall a little too much. It looks more like a pumpkin LOL. Maybe I'll get used to it. If not maybe I'll change it to Christmas Red hahahaha

Still have to totally clear off the tables in the Living room and pollish and replace the decor. And I will be ready for the next room.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Aww Dreamto that was a pleasant surprise.

I'm only following the holiday prep part of the HGP. Here's what I got done this week.

(X) Made a batch of cookies (Actually made two batches. Had to make up for last week)
(X) Made one extra meal (Again made two, making up for last week)
(X) Made a list of table and bathroom linens needed. List is made.
(X) Buy 1/8 of to-buy gifts. Well I have them on layaway.

Still to do:

( ) work at least 1 hr a day on homemade gifts (I need to pick up some printer ink and photo paper. This year I'm making some family photos for an aunt who lost all of hers in a fire a few years ago. I have over 8 thousand photos on my portable hard drive so finding pictures of her and my cousins will not be hard to do. Also making another family photo calendar for my mom. She expects them every year now. lol)
( ) buy 2 canned food items from holiday menus. Will have to double on that as I didn't pick up anything last week either.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Aggy you are doing great
Dreamto... now that is the top of decorating... painting the doors to follow the Holidays :)

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Final update for last week:

[x] Change sheets on my bed
[x] Change sheets on DD's bed
[x] Sort summer clothes for seasonal change
[x] Put away summer clothes
[x] Take out winter clothes
[/] Clear off dressing table (did half the job)
[] Sort jewellery
[x] Tidy hair and nails drawer
[] Dust bedroom
[x] Clear off bedroom chair
[] Remove stain from bedroom chair (spilt makeup)
[x] Clear books clutter from bedside
[] Clean bedroom windows
[] Dust air vent
[x] Change bathroom towels
[x] Put away at least 6" of papers in sitting room
[x][x] Tidy magazines in basket, and throw out ones I won't use (I threw out an extra 3 foot stack of old mags on Sat!!)
[x] Dust sitting room bookcases
[] Hoover sitting room to skirtings

[x][x][x][][][][] Make more cards (aiming for 10)
[x][][] Sew buttons on 3 crayon rolls
[] Sew up 1 beanie hat
[] Knit a few more rows of other beanie hat
[] Work on tree decorations for siblings stockings

[x] Keep working on emptying out freezer (can't restock until I clear old stocks)
[] Start purchasing things for sewing hamper for KK sister
[] Decide what to get DH
[x] Put aside a box for food drive collection

Making progress

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
My final update as well...

Master Bedroom Tasks:

[X] Dust ceiling for cobwebs
[X] Clean fan blades
[X] Dust blinds/spot clean as needed
[X] Windex windows/Clean window sills
[X] Sort/Org my dresser
[ ] Sort/Org DH’s dresser
{ }Pack away/Donate what he doesn’t use!!!
[X] Empty, clean and reorganize closet
[X] Flip seasons in our closets
[X]Reserve some summer clothes
[X] Dust
[X] Vacuum behind dressers, etc.
[X] Wipe down baseboards/Wipe down light switches/Etc.
[ ] Wash and put out fall/winter bedding
[ ] Wash and put away summer bedding

Holiday Prep:

[X] Put up fall/Halloween decor
[X] Continue craft projects for Christmas gifts