Midsummer

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Thanks for the reminder of the shorter, cooler days to come! It really helps make this heat bearable.

:bigsnow:

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Noelsmommy said:
Wow.....how intresting. Here in the US it is not even officially summer yet!

Kelly

Actually, even though it's not even summer here in North America the "summer solstice" is around June 21. I looked it up to find our longest day of the year and it falls anywhere between June 13 and June 25 depending on where you live in North America.

Our days have been long for a while now and they start getting progressively shorter in just a few weeks!

:bigsnow:

patteemom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Idaho
We are still waiting for spring here. Really we have only had a handful of days that reached 70, and yes it snowed two days ago. School is out and we are still wearing winter clothes.

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
I can't believe that in 9 days time (well 8 now) that we will be on the countdown to Autumn. Summer has hardly got going here yet. We has a couple of nice days at the beginning of the week but yesterday and today are dull. Hope we have a bit more sun to look forward to.

:flower:

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
At the moment we have cooler weather - it is already like fall (a little bit). I also had a cup of tea when I came home from work.

But it is not unusual that it gets a little bit colder again in June - it is called "Schafskälte" (when you translate it word by word it would mean something like "sheep's cold"):

A Schafskälte or Schafkälte is a statistically frequent European weather phenomenon. A true "sheep's cold spell" can result in a temperature drop of 5 to 10 degrees Celsius (9-18 Fahrenheit degrees) during the period between June 4 to June 18 (most often around June 11). The name comes from the risk to freshly shorn sheep from the unusually cold weather. It usually results from cool and damp northwesterly winds.

Chilli

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Chilli - thank you so much for starting this thread! And for reminding us to think a little bit about the grand scheme of things! The length of the days is going to peak in about a week! In the northern hemisphere - we will hit the longest day - and begin summer. (In the southern hemisphere, you will hit the shortest day and begin winter.)

I hope our members in the southern hemisphere will thoroughly enjoy celebrating "Christmas in July" in the cold weather!

And - Chilli - thank you for reminding us that everything changes! That is a wonderful thought to those of us suffering terribly from hot summer weather! (I am ashamed to complain about the heat - when so many people are suffering from more devastating weather.) But it IS comforting to remember that the weather will change. :frosty:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
You're absolutely right, SparkleNana! I have been fussing about the heat and wishing for cooler weather. I'm going to try as hard as I can to remember that every season is for a reason...God had a reason for making Arkansas a sauna in summer! Must be those lucious watermelons and tomatoes we're famous for!! LOL!! Wish I had a watermelon right now!

My sister in law lives in Hope, AR (yes, where Bill Clinton is from) and she always gets us those good melons for the 4th of July! Can't wait!!

holidaymama

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of the summer...I prefer fall, but this summer I just want to soak up every minute of it...our first year teaching was hard, and I have so much I want to get done this summer...I always say I will do things even when school starts, but it's a hard job ;-) and next year, my hubby and I are both starting grad school as well...so I better get things moving!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Don't get me wrong, I like the summer months. My family, friends and I do a lot of cookouts and weekend trips. But something about fall... I just love it. It's the warming and cozy feeling I get, the beautiful colors fall brings, the warm (not hot) days and cool eveninings. What's the most exciting part about it is that it means Christmas is not far away and I just get a giddy!

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
aggy said:
Don't get me wrong, I like the summer months. My family, friends and I do a lot of cookouts and weekend trips. But something about fall... I just love it. It's the warming and cozy feeling I get, the beautiful colors fall brings, the warm (not hot) days and cool eveninings. What's the most exciting part about it is that it means Christmas is not far away and I just get a giddy!

I think the words "cool evenings" are the keywords... In summer when it is hot and sunny outside many people (including me) have a bad conscience when they are inside, because "you have to be outside in summer as much as you can (also in the evening)" - eg my parents always said this....
In fall when we have cooler evenings again we can sit inside, drinking a cup of tea, watching TV or doing some crafts - with a clear conscience.

Chilli

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I used to absolutely hate summer - the hot, sticky, humid weather - the arrival of fall was a huge relief to me.

But I have really tried to focus on all the good things of the season as I've gotten older.

But the thing that has really "saved the season" for me was learning to garden. I get excited every year for the chance to watch and smell green, growing things.

And learning to can has connected summer to Christmas for me since I can or freeze certain things with the goal of using them or gifting them during the holiday season.

So I am much happier in the summer months now! But Fall is still my favorite!

snowangel00

Santa's Elves
Oct 9, 2007
Winter Wonderland
This is the website I use for a sunrise/sunset calendar.
http://www.sunrisesunset.com/custom_srss_calendar.asp

Usually about this time of the year I'm wondering when the days will begin to get shorter because of the heat. However, this year we really haven't had too many extremely hot days. Here in the midwest we've been watching rain pour outside our windows for weeks it seems. It's storming as I type this in fact. Already 3 inches this morning.

According to this calendar we don't lose our first minute of daylight until July 6th. Our sunset time will go from 8:54 to 8:53 on this day. By the end of July the sun will set at 8:38.

Hope you have as much fun with this site as I do. Reminds me that no matter the season, nothing lasts forever.
:grin:

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
Longest day today! From tomorrow the days will be getting shorter and Autumn won't seem so far away. I must admit I do like the darker evenings. There's something so nice about feeling cosy and warm on a dark evening! ;-)

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
Happy Summer Solstice! :flower: