My 2011 Word/phrase-Exploring the simple

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Ginger suggested we start our on thread for our 2011 word. My word was originally just "exploring" by itself. But as I made my notes in the 'After Christmas Notes for your Notebook-2010' thread I realized I wanted to look for more simple ways to do things.

Exploring the simple things or ways to be happier. It doesn't all have to be big or fancy or just like everyone else's to bring joy. Exploring the simple ways to have fun. Exploring the simple ways to let other's know they're loved & appreciated.

Exploring the simple to find ways to have a more relaxing, less stressful life...

Looking forward to sharing my journey and reading & learning from each of yours...

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I find that very interesting Tricia. I will love to see what you come up with :)

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I too find this very interesting....look forward to reading about how you "live your word" in 2011

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I've shared this in chat but don't think I have on the board. I recieved a gift this year from a friend that I consider "simple" to put together. I have wanted to do his for years but haven't for whatever reason. I consider this gift one of the nicest I receieved & the "simple" wrapping was so elegant. My stepmom shared with me that she usually got a gift of this each year from a friend but didn't this year and was disappointed.

So now I will go "exploring the simple" ways to get together what I need to have this lovely gift ready for my love ones.

What was it you ask? A clear qt jar of homemade hot chocolate, wrapped in clear cellophane paper that has snowflakes on it, tied with jingle bells...BEAUTIFUL I LOVE IT!!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Tricia I agree... that is a truly wonderful gift! Simple, warm & comfy.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Great gift Tricia! I love homemade goodies or something practical that benefits everyone.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Simple and beautiful. What a great gift, not only the hot chocolate, but the gift of friendship that goes with it.

Enjoy your journey.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
what a great phrase for the year. I think it will be interesting to see what you learn from it and what we can learn from it.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
As I sit here listening to the quite I realize another part to "exploring the simple." That is to recognize the goodness, the easiness of the simple.

I feel there is a complicated mindset in the world-not everywhere but a majority thing. Alot of people feel if something is too easy, it's not good enough. And if we're not always busy doing something we're not being a productive member of society.

Alot of folks work for a living outside the home...And alot of folks work from home being home monitors(taking care of their home) But I wonder how many folks take time when their weekend(whatever part of the week those 2 days fall on) to relax, rejuvenate, reconnect with others in simple ways...

LOL I'm laughing because I can almost hear someone reading this & maybe thinking I'm nuts. I'm a home monitor so let me share with you my simple upcoming plan for my weekends. With work schedules around here my weekends may change from week to week. But never the less a weekend is 2 days. In 2011 if laundry, cleaning or anything else that has to be done, will be done before my weekend. If real life gets in the way then the minmum of those things we be done on 1 weekend day. If it doesn't get done that 1 day too bad it waits.

So what will I do with my weekend or my 1 day...Whatever I feel like to relax, rejuvenate, reconnect with others & I don't have to do all 3 pieces of that every weekend. I might just want to lay in bed and read one day all day or go visit someone or try a new restuarant.

The point is "exploring the simple" ways to relax, rejuvenate, reconnect with others at least one day a week.

I challenge you if you work outside the home to find at least 1 day a week to enjoy the simple pleasures of life....

BTW my weekend starts tomorrow. I plan on taking it easy, having a simple New Years Eve snack party tomorrow night DGD, DD & myself DH won't stay up. I pulled The Happiness Project out tonight & will read on it...

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Exploring the simple is a great challenge. I've done alot of that myself this past year and it hasn't been all that bad to be honest. Change yes, bad no!

Mackiesmudder

Premiere Member
May 21, 2010
Hackettstown, NJ
Oh, my gosh, I love this! Funny how simple can be so profound! I believe I can learn a lot from following you on your journey here, thank-you and good luck!
Cathie :smilegift:

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Thank you, I'm working more on my commandments for The Happiness Project tonight. I look forward to learning from others as we grow this year...

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
These are my 12 commanments that go with my happiness project...As you can see for the most part I'm "exploring the simple" with them also

Act how you want to feel-I have loved this saying since the first time I read it in the Happiness Project. For me the majority of the time when I remember to apply it, I get a positive result.

Focus on what I want-To me this is so simple I forget to do it. If I focus on what I want instead of what I don't want I get more of what I want. Goes hand in hand with focus on the solution not the problem.

Try my best-Again simple. My best is all I can do & it's all I'm working to expect of myself, in the moments.

Keep it simple-Keep it simple and see just how satisfing things are.

Give thanks-The more I recognize & give thanks, the more things I realize I have to be thankful for.

Laughter is good-The Bible, all kinds of spiritual leaders, dr's, even our bodies(when we listen) will tell us laughter is good for us. I want to laugh more. My sense of humor is one of my best characteristics when I use it.

Be creative-I love to create in so many different ways. So I want to use my creativity to bring me more happiness which in turn will bring happiness to others.

Be true to your nature-This one is very important to me. Gretchen uses Be Gretchen. For me Be True To My Nature works better. While I feel there is always room for improvement I also believe there are certain characteristics about me that are in the best interest of my happiness not to change.

Share your mischeivousness-I have a mischeivous streak that is quite funny when I apply it so I want to get back to using it more.

Enjoy the moment-If I enjoy the moment then I might very well recognize there are alot of moments to enjoy. So I'm working to stay in the moment of now.

Treat myself-I want to find ways to treat myself to things I enjoy wether it's an experience or something I purchase.

Give & Receive hugs-While I have no problem giving or accepting hugs from my DGD I have problems accepting them from others. I think it's because of childhood experiences I don't like having my space invaded. I didn't grow up in a hugging family or a family that said I love you. However, I gave my children plenty of hugs & I love you's when they were growing up. But as adults the hugs don't come as easily. But I'm going to try to become more hugable...

This will be the year to go exploring the simple ways to bring my commandments into my life and increase my happiness.

Last edited:

Basket

Retire Member
Dec 25, 2007
Northern Germany
That´s great, girlsinmo - I´m with you and accept all your points. they could be written by myself. Tfs.
- and I like your "have you started your "Happiness Project" - can I steal it?? :)

Last edited:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Tricia,
I love what you have come up with!!!!

Annie

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Thanks ladies, the encouragement is greatly appreciated...Basket you may use whatever you like...It feels good to help & encourage others...

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Below are my Secrets to Adulthood for my Happiness Project. Some of them are the same as Gretchen Rubins but they reasonate with me.

Every little bit helps.
If you're feeling out of sorts check to see if you're H.A.L.T
The Days are long but the years are short.
Someplace, keep an empty shelf.
What's fun for other people may not be fun for me--and vice versa.
It's okay to ask for help.
What you do EVERY DAY matters more than what you do ONCE IN A WHILE.
It's important to treat people the way you want to be treated.
It's good to give and receive.
Nurture your mind, body and spirit regularly.
As long as I can look myself in the mirror at the end of the day it's ok.
Do good, Feel Good.
Think outside the box.
Actions speak louder than words.
One Day at a Time.
Reach for the more positive.
It's good to listen to and let my inner child out to play.
Trust myself first.

I might be adding more later, mine are mostly quotes/saying that reasonate with me. Which is because I've experience them to be true.

Look forward to reading others 12 commandments & Secrets to Adulthood

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Tonight I'm exploring the simple of being quite. I have a lower grade fever & just feel in a quite mood...