My 2012 Word: Spirit

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Hi Everyone,

So... it's January 1st 2012, the beginning of my "Spirit" journey.

I'm starting off simple... with a bath :)

Now, I don't mean a regular cleansing bath. Usually I would just have a quick shower. I mean a relaxing bath with candles lit, essential oils added (lavendar and bergamot) and infused with dried camomile flowers. I had a glass of Baileys and a book as well.

I was able to simply relax and just "be" for about an hour before I decided it was time to get out.

I would like to do this every week or two, on a Sunday night. It's a great way to end the weekend and is easily done when the kids are in bed and DH is home to tend to them if need be. Next week, I might even get the face mask happening LOL!!

Hope you all had a fantastic New Years Day, and best wishes for your own personal 2012 journeys :)

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
wonderful word and off to a great start. Looking forward to hearing more. It's great to start w/ somthing simple yet recharging. Something you know you can do! Good job.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
With Spirit your life will be uplifted.

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Thanks everyone!

I'm feeling very inspired today. I'm thinking.... of going to Uni and studying to become a teacher.

I have always been called to teaching, but for some reason never pursued the career. I am thinking now could be the perfect time? Looking at the course, it's four years full time, but I can study the theoretical units online, and the practical units can be done in two week blocks. This can be combined with my part time job quite well - since I can book annual leave for the practical units.

Hmmm... will need to think more about this. Applications need to be in tomorrow night. Who knows? Maybe it's meant to be?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Go for it. Once you get started if you find it's not for you, you can always stop.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Saquilla- GO FOR IT!!!!

Also, your bath sounded wonderful!

Annie

caitsmum

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2008
Bedfordshire England
Thanks everyone!

I'm feeling very inspired today. I'm thinking.... of going to Uni and studying to become a teacher.

I have always been called to teaching, but for some reason never pursued the career. I am thinking now could be the perfect time? Looking at the course, it's four years full time, but I can study the theoretical units online, and the practical units can be done in two week blocks. This can be combined with my part time job quite well - since I can book annual leave for the practical units.

Hmmm... will need to think more about this. Applications need to be in tomorrow night. Who knows? Maybe it's meant to be?

A Teacher????

You're MAD woman, MAD I say! :) Lol!

DO IT!! .....The paperwork will drive you mad, you'll spend more money than you earn, you'll never find your house under all the text books, piles of marking and craft ideas/materials, the hours are lousy (NEVER the 9 til 3 that everyone thinks!), the holidays are NEVER long enough.......AND YOU WILL LOVE IT! Lol!

AM - 16 years in the classroom, 4 years at home (slowly going round the twist!) and missing the classroom more each day! :)

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
LOL thanks everyone!!

I put in my application, so we'll see how it goes!

Don't worry - I never expect to work from 9 til 3 lol!! I have a friend who is a teacher, and my image of him is always at the dinner table surrounded with exams to mark lol!!

I have a good feeling about this :)

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
So.... I got my first preference at Uni!! YAY!!

So happy!! :D

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Congratulations, Sarah! I am very happy for you and wish you well on this new adventure!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Sarah, I am so proud of you!!!!

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Thanks everyone! I'm so excited!

:D

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Well... it turns out my "Spirit" journey has taken a detour, and my 2011 word "Balance" is going to need to make a comeback!

So... in 2011 I sorted out my work/life balance. Changed my work hours to suit my family life perfectly. Had a day off during the work week to sort out home stuff and relax, and was also able to do the kindy drop offs and pick ups on the two days my eldest daughter goes to school. That is important to me.

All arranged. Life is good :)

Enter 2012, and "Spirit".

I have always wanted to become a teacher. I got in to uni as an external student. I'm loving the course so far so it's all good.

Now. In order to manage the school experience units in a couple of years, I will need to either leave my day job or get a second evening job to supplement, as I won't have enough holiday leave to cover the number of school experience units I will need to do. It also happens that my eldest daughter will be in school five days next year, so I will want to reduce my day job to school hours only. These things combined mean it's time to look for an evening job so I'm ready for this when it happens.

So a couple of weeks ago, I started my evening job. Five days a week, rotating Mon - Sun and hours being either 6pm- midnight or 7pm - 1am. I like this. The people are great, and it suits my family life perfectly.

Suddenly I realise I really like my day job. Something inside is stopping me reducing the hours so early. I don't really need to until February.

So, at the moment, I'm working a total of 60.5 hours per week, studying for a degree, doing the mum thing (swimming lessons/ballet/school runs/playdates etc) and attempting to keep the house in a somewhat decent condition (not really happening at the moment lol!).

I'm considered my everyone I know to have lost my mind. I probably have. I will figure it out though. I sometimes think it would be nice to quit my day job competely and spend the days doing house things (decluttering, making things). The thing is, if I cut back my hours or leave the day job, I feel really slack and guilty for not doing more. I obviously expect too much of myself and it's really a battle with myself. No one expects me to do everything.

Hmmm... some thinking and weighing up is in order...

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
You sound so happy with the way things are going and with what is in your life. The housework can wait. Do what is in your heart.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Thanks for the update, Sarah!
A lot going on for you! I don't know how you are keeping it all going!

I agree with Ahorsesoul- The housework stuff can always wait!

Annie

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Wow Saquilla! that is ALOT! of course the housework can wait, that is for sure.
Wishing you only the best. :)