Need info on elves

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

gllatshaw

Retire Member
Jan 13, 2008
Florence, South Carolina
This seems like a really fun idea. Since my son is grown, Christmas has kinda lost some of the magic. If I do the elves for my nieces and nephews, it would really make Christmas fun again. So here are some questions - do you have some correspondence (sp) from the elves all year or just at the holidays? Do you get an elf for each child or one for the family? Does it matter how they arrive? I may have more questions as I get into the planning. You ladies are really great. I think Christmas is going to be happy again this year because I found you. Last few years I didn't even bother with a tree. Sad Sad Sad.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Oh, I hope it will be happier this year!!! We'll do whatever we can to help!!!

This past Christmas was the first time I did an elf with my family. We just had 1 elf for all 4 kids; most people, I believe, had 1 for each. Most people did something every night the elf was visiting; I didn't have the time to plan that, so Tobias was a little mischievious every other night or so. Some had a special sled to arrive in and sleeping bags for at night; ours just showed up by the fireplace one morning and the kids tucked him in on the sofa each night. I do plan on having Tobias visit once in awhile - maybe birthdays - mainly because DD8 and DS6 were SO sad to see him go and they still say they miss him!

That's part of the fun of it, I think. You can do as much or as little as YOU want and make it special for YOU and YOUR FAMILY.

Have fun!!

Bren

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
I am buying clearance Christmas goodies now for our Elf to bring the kids Christmas 2008 (elf shoes, elf stickers, new cocoa mugs, Christmas craft kits, etc.). We did this for the 1st time this past Christmas. Boots arrived in a stocking I had hanging on the wall for decoration (on my youngest child's Bday....Dec. 14th). He brought a few things on different nights...cocoa, candy, a gingerbread house kit. He was playful....moved toys around, hung up snowflake decorations around the house & climbed the Christmas tree. Our Elf (one for three kids) slept in a shoebox that the kids designated as his bed. They had lots of fun setting up a little room for him. I let them use a Christmas tea towel for a blanket.

We won't see him again until next Christmas.

The visiting Elf idea is fun because you truly can personalize it. You can do as much or as little as you want (Just like momof4 said :grin: ).

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas full of the season's spirit :skate: .

Bren :package:

cipalla

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
PA
this upcoming season will also be my first time using the elves....I ended up getting an elf for each of my boys.(with a little help from a friend ;-) We put our christmas stockings up early, so I thought maybe the elves could arrive in the stockings and sleep in each of the boys own stockings at night? Really only going to get the elf notebook together starting now with all the great ideas I can find on here. Maybe they can pop in on Thanksgiving for a heads up for the kids! Guess they could pop in on special occasions to say they are checking up on the kids for when christmas time comes around. :leprechaun:

One of our elves came last night for a visit and will be returning home tonight. Yesterday was DS's 9th birthday and his elf came for a visit. It was cute, we went to chuck e cheese and he went into the CEC sketch picture machine with his elf...how precious!!!

Spring baseball season is about to start here in Florida and all 3 elves will return for the tournaments later on in the season!!!

They will also arrive for Christmas in July!!!

Christmas in July is something I always heard about when I was a little girl and is carried on in many families!!! Some people use it as a reminder to start Christmas shopping!! I now use it to host a Cousins dinner" . This year it is on a Friday (July 25th of course).

I make a nice homecooked meal and host a "Cousins dinner" and that is where all 14 cousins here in Florida pick out Secret Santa names. I started it last year and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately some people forgot who they were to buy for so this year I am going to have one of the Aunts handle holding onto all the secret santa picks. I think the Aunts and uncles want to chime in on this too. And then there are the 7 great grandkids in Florida also!!! If everyone wants to participate (Florida family memebers only) there will be at least 30 of us!!! Most of my relatives would not be able to afford shipping gifts so out of state relatives won't be a part of this.

It really brought us a little closer (at least that's how I felt) together.

My elves will be giving my kids a good boy/bad boy status update to remind them that Santa and the Elves see and know everything good or bad that they do!!!

They will bring my boys a gift card to buy their mommy a present(s) for Christmas. I am a single mom and NO ONE took my kids out to buy me a gift from them this year. I thought for sure my dad would do that but apparently he didn't think of it. When I lived in NY with my mom and sister they would take my boys out and there would be something under the tree from my boys and their faces would light up when they handed it to me!! That is one of many things I missed out on this Christmas so time to take charge again with a little help from the elves.....lol

They will also bring with them Holiday card making kits that I bought on clearance from the dollar bins at Michaels. They will get a jumpstart on the cards!!