Non-perishable take-along

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
Greetings all,

I am traveling cross-state to attend a family BBQ, and am looking for suggestions for a hostess gift/basket/non-perishable take-along.

Any/all suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Gidget-

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Are you contributing food and/or beverages to the barbeque? Is this hostess gift IN ADDITION to the contribution to the barbeque -- or -- "instead of"?"

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
Good question. Actually, I am looking for suggestions for both. Since we are going to be traveling 4+ hours, and my other 75 relatives all live within 15 miles of the party site, they asked us not to bring anything but ourselves. However, I would like to contribute something. Maybe a food or drink item for the party that will not spoil, and perhaps some type of gift basket for the hosts? Gidget-

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hhhhmmmm.... traveling for four hours.... during the summer...... this is tough! Of course..... just making THE EFFORT to travel four hours each way IS a gift in itself!!! Let me see....... what do you and your dh really enjoy as a side snack at a BarBQ? Do you enjoy specially flavored potato chips? Popped organic popcorn? nachos and salsa (salsa in a jar that does NOT have to be refrigerated)? Perhaps something like this.... which you serve in a pretty summer bowl...... might be nicer. (You could tape a card on the bottom, stating that the serving bowl is a hostess gift........

In our area, people drink beer and wine at BarBQ's...... and, if they were carried INSIDE the air conditioned car -- the heat should not spoil them. Those are a nice contribution -- and perhaps some big bottles of fancy sodas or mineral water.

I have received a hostess gift of braided garlic -- the person grew the garlic herself, and left the stems really long, and braided the stems into a kind of rope. Everyone thought that was a fabulous gift!!

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
Thank you for the inspiration, SparkleNana.

I have decided to bake 4 rosemary Facaccia loaves and make 2 bottles of garlic olive oil for dipping. I will also bring a large bowl with assorted bags of chips for the youngsters.

Thank you!

Gidget-