October Turkey Day 2010

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Those living in Canada get that turkey thawed! You have 2 days to prepare before the big event. To borrow a saying:Time to make that list and check it twice.

Everyone else check your notebooks. Make a shopping list of items you can buy ahead. Stock up now so you do not get hit all at once in the purse.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Hosting our dinner Sunday.

I have three loaves of bread rising, turkey thawing in fridge :)

Need to bake the pumpkin cheesecake and rustic apple tart this afternoon.
Will prepare the stuffing today - to stuff tomorrow!

Will prepare the cornbread recipe dry ingredients (to bake tomorrow), and precook the sweet potatoes and carrots tonight (for a sweet potato and pineapple bake, and carrots au gratin) - to finish as the turkey leaves the oven.

Cranberry sauce I made last night. And early this morning I dug in the mums!

Will make the cranberry punch and heat the cider in the early afternoon tomorrow.
And whip the whip cream!

:happythanksgiving:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I am so ready to celebrate Thanksgiving. You are making me hungry! Do Not forget to warm up the camera.

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I made pumpkin pie last night and will be making spiced whipped cream for it just after lunch.
My chocolate cream pie filling is cooling in the fridge and around noon it'll be cool enough so I can add the whipped crem into it and pour it unto the shell.
We're going to my ILs for supper. I think I'll transport the chocolate cream pie without the whipped cream on it and just add it there before I stick it in the fridge. I'm taking the spiced whipped cream in an old Cool Whip container. Hopefully it all travels well.

Little Elf

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Alberta, Canada
All the pies and other desserts are ready. Deviled eggs ready, turkey cooking in the oven. Potatoes...that's another story. Vic decided to pick up a different kind of potatoes again this year. Last year he did that it was a disaster...the potatoes were terrible! I've never had problems cooking potatoes! It's supposed to be easy! I'm almost afraid these ones are going to be just as bad. Why did he do this again! Pick up the regular potatoes we use and there won't be any problems! Grrr... So I'm cooking them hoping they will turn out alright. If not I'm sending him to the grocery store and supper will have to be delayed another hour!
Still have to make stuffing and cook some of the frozen vegies. Once the turkey is done I can make the gravy.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Nutcracker, It is actually so easy, it's embarrassing ;)

1/2 ginger-ale to 1/2 cranberry juice
I add a cup of frozen cranberries, they look nice and do not water down the punch - like ice :)

It was a tradition in my DH family.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Nutcracker, It is actually so easy, it's embarrassing ;)

1/2 ginger-ale to 1/2 cranberry juice
I add a cup of frozen cranberries, they look nice and do not water down the punch - like ice :) It was a tradition in my DH family.

Would look nice with frozen cranberry ice cubes each with a few cranberries in them.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I would like the recipe to the sweet potatoe and pinapple bake- that sounds really good!

Annie

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Annie, it is really easy. I do not have 'amounts' as I usually cook by just adding stuff :) Will try:

Peel and thickly slice the sweet potatoes. (for a 9"dish I used 3 large, served 6)
Boil till cooked (not mushy)
Drain and mash well.
Add 1/2 can or more of drained crushed pineapple.
Add 1 tbsp (or more depending on your taste) of Dijon mustard.
Add 2 tbsp of dark brown sugar.
Add 2 tbsp of butter.
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix well, put into a casserole dish and bake till heated through.

Hope it works :) It is my favorite dish.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
HouseElf- Thanks for sharing! Sounds delish!

Annie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
HouseElf,
Now you can laugh at us as we run around getting ready. Put you feet up and relax.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Over for us up here in Canada! We just have Halloween than it's home-stretch to Christmas.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
This will be the LAST Turkey Day of the year! Next month it's the real thing.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
We always spend thanksgiving with my inlaws...My MIL can't "decide" where she wants to have it this year...her house or mine! I don't mind cooking dinner, but I'm going to be traveling for business the Sun-Wed of Thanksgiving Week! I told DH that they can have it here, as long as they realize they're entering our home after he's been in charge for 4 days! ;)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Yes, it really is the very last Turkey Day before Thanksgiving. Grab your notebooks or start one today. You will not believe how valuable your Notebooks become each year you add to them.

I have these sections in my Thanksgiving Notebook:

MENUS: menus from past years which notes on the back such as: Used two packs of rolls had way to many leftovers, buy three cans of black olives next year, make sure to have containers for leftovers to go home with guests, post a list of the menu so you do not forget to put something out!, also contains a master shopping list.

LEFTOVERS: I keep recipes for leftovers

SWEETS: Recipes for desserts and treats

TRY US: Recipes to try but haven't yet

CRAFTS: Ideas

TIMELINES: I have printed out guide lines for making a smooth cooking event

FALL: I have other fall ideas and recipes here

THE REST: My miscellaneous section (nothing here yet)