Pie baking for dummies

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Can anyone give me some good tnt tips on how to make edible apple and berry pies? Don't tell anyone, but I'm not an apple eater so I don't know the difference between a sweet or a tart apple. I truly need the 'for dummies' version of fruit pie baking!
What apples do you like to use in your pies?
Do you have a great recipe to share?

Now, about berry pies. My DH really wants a blueberry pie. I would be using frozen blueberries from the store. How do I make it the right texture, not too runny and not too thick?

I'd like to make turnovers, but when I've tried in the past, the filling leaks out during baking.

ANY help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Have you ever made these pies before? Do you feel up to such as task?

There is a simpler way to make them but still have them homemade is but the pie fillings in a can. No fuss no muss. They sell all different pie fillings in a can. I use 2 cans per pie. This what I do especially if I have a hugh dinner to make as well. To me they still taste better then store bought but a whole lot easier then making them from scratch.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Re: Pie baking for dummies--Apple Pie Recipe

I clipped this recipe out of the Winston-Salem newspaper when I lived in NC. I always use Granny Smith Apples, they are very crisp, tart and hold their shape when baked so they don't turn to mush. I didn't write the date down but it must have been about 1990.

Wendy Lewis' Apple Pie
"Wendy Lewis of Pfafftown won the All-American Apple Pie Contest at last fall's Dixie Classic Fair with this pie:"

3 cups all-purpose flour, unsifted
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/3 cups vegetable shortening
1 egg
1 tablespoon white vinegar
5 tablespoons cold water

3 to 4 cups sliced, peeled Granny Smith apples (about 5 or 6 big apples)
1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch
¾ cup sugar (I use white or brown)
Dash of nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of grated orange rind
Butter

1. Combine flour and salt: cut shortening in with a pastry blender or fork to form uniform particles, about pea size. Set aside.
2. Combine egg and vinegar: blend.
3. Place cold water in another bowl. Add the contents of both bowls at the same time to the flour mixture. Stir to make into pastry.
4. Roll out half and fit into a 9-inch pie pan.
5. Place sliced apples in pastry.
6. Combine cornstarch, 3/4 cup sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and orange rind: sprinkle evenly over apples.
7. Dot generously with pats of butter cut into small pieces.
8. Roll out second half of pastry. Cover apples with pastry and cut several gashes in top crust.
9. Bake in a 400-degree oven for 45 minutes or until done. Brush with melted butter: sprinkle with sugar.

You can always use a pie crust from the store to cut down on the time to make a pie. I use to make blueberry pies but not sure what recipe I used. It was almost 40 years ago and I never wrote it down. Did dh's mom make blueberry pies? Maybe she has a recipe to share.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Re: Pie baking for dummies--blueberry Pie

Ok, I did find my blueberry pie recipe. Years ago, in a magazine, I found a page from Argo Cornstarch that had recipes for pies on one side and sauces on the other. So here is their Blueberry Pie Recipe.

1 cup sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
4 cups blueberries
1 tablespoon margarine or butter
Bake in 425 degree over 40 minutes.

Prepare favorite pastry for double crust 9-inch pie. To make the filling, toss the ingredients with the fruit. turn into the bottom pie crust. Dot with margarine/butter. Make several slits in top crust. Cover pie with pastry, seal edges,and flute edges.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I also have used canned pie fillings ... great pies.
If I don't have any, I make my own - doesn't matter what fruit I use. I often cook mine on top of the stove for about 10-15 minutes before putting it in the crust.

1 cup sugar
3-4 Tablespoons corn starch
pinch of salt
1 cup water
(I double this for a pie.)

Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Add water; cook stirring constantly until mixture thickens and turns translucent. Add friut, reduce heat and simmer about 10-15 minutes. Pour into pie crust, top with second crust, cut slits in top. Follow directions on package for baking a filled crust.

I use this same recipe to make various fruit toppings for Angel food cake or pound cake. It is great with the frozen mixed fruit medley that has blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries. Add a dollop of Cool Whip/whipping cream or a squirt of Redi-whip....wish i had some now!!!
As for the apples, if they have five prominent "bumps" on the bottom, they are better suited for eating. If they are smooth on the bottom, they are more tart and more suitable for cooking!!
Hope this helps!! :bigsnow:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
"As for the apples, if they have five prominent "bumps" on the bottom, they are better suited for eating. If they are smooth on the bottom, they are more tart and more suitable for cooking!!"

I've never hear this tip before! Thanks for sharing. It is so true now that I think about which apples I like to eat and which I use for cooking.