Plans and goals for 2022

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have set myself some plans and goals for this year.
What I have learned in the past is things are changing so quickly and what is on my to do list now might look completely different by half way through the year. Here are a few things that I am thinking that I would like to achieve this year.

* Maintain weight
*Exercise regularly
*Read 10 books/magazines
*Listen to more music
*Revisit my family history
*Family gatherings
*Learn some farm skills
*Finish 2 rooms at the farm
*5 crafts
*Declutter/organise this house
*Indulge in some self care
*Look for things that make me happy

*Continue meal planning, dinners and work lunches.
*Continue my 5 chores a week, these work and make a real difference
*Plan and organise Christmas so that it is an enjoyable and relaxing time for ME
*Keep busy but find the balance.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
These are great ideas. You've given me something to think about. I'll post when I have more thoughts. :)

2022 Goals:

Word of Year: Release

• Things that hold me back from fulfilling my dreams
  • Negative emotions that keep me from being healthy
  • People from my life that drain me
  • Unrealistic expectations of myself
Self-care
  • Journal daily.
  • Exercise daily.(Walk, PT exercises, 30 Day challenges)
  • Listen to Bible in a Year Podcast
  • Read one book a month
Creativity
  • Make paper snowflakes.
  • Decorate coffee cans/oatmeal cylinders.
  • Cut strips of material for tying to brown handled gift bags.
  • Make bows for brown handled gift bags.
  • Make icicle branches.
  • The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron (12 week self-lead course)
Family History
  • Color code matches
  • Build out tree
  • Write up one mini bio each week
  • Answer one autobiographical question a week

Last edited:

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I would just like to organize and purge my house better. I'm not good at purging. I know it's a "control" thing, and I would feel so good if I did it. Perhaps I can try some "baby steps" ... just one room or closet or drawer at a time. I just don't think the Marie Kondo method would work for me, but perhaps watching some of the videos might be inspirational.

I have a pretty good handle on other areas of my life ... healthy weight/diet/exercise; making time for myself/family/friends ... It's much easier being retired.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DJ, purging for me is harder as I get older because a lot of things have meaning for me, I feel that it is OK to keep things that are sentimental.

I think baby steps are the way to go. Start with one drawer and have a goal of 5 items to be purged. If you are not sure then don't purge it, the decision is yours.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Sometimes when trying to purge and it is hard to make a decision Place the item in quarantine for six months to see if you go search it out because you need it. I often ask myself if I have something else I can use instead, I do this especially with kitchen items.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I would just like to organize and purge my house better. I'm not good at purging. I know it's a "control" thing, and I would feel so good if I did it. Perhaps I can try some "baby steps" ... just one room or closet or drawer at a time. I just don't think the Marie Kondo method would work for me, but perhaps watching some of the videos might be inspirational.
I can not live a minimalist or Marie Kondo lifestyle however, there can be things that I can glean from that way of living. My favorite is if something doesn't spark joy then let it go.

Join us over at the monthly Decluttering Thread! It's a good motivator for going through things.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Some 2022 goals:
Lose weight & maintain (stationary bike 5-7 days per week)
Clean garage (spring/summer)
Scrap 100 pages
Read 12 books
Donate bedding/clothing no longer being used
Throw away less food, not be wasteful.
SAVE MONEY!
I will revisit these occasionally to see where I am.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Great goals Laura, I think some of them are universal. I hope to be more mindful of how I spend my money this year and be less wasteful too.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
For those working on purging, here are a couple of thoughts that might help. I had to do a lot of it, and quickly, in preparation for the sale of my house and my move 5 years ago. My daughter came and helped me go through my closets, and we packed up my late hubs. clothing, as well. It was an emotional couple of days, but it really lightened my heart knowing that so much was going to people that could truly benefit from my discards. And, the emotional support of my daughter helped, too.

Start by bringing a roll of trash bags (large and sturdy) and a couple of laundry baskets into your bedroom. You'll need one trash bag to hold items that are beyond repair, a basket for items that need to be laundered, and another basket for hangers.

Start with the closet. Take everything out of your closet. Everything! Do a QUICK sort into 2 piles on the bed -- 1. your "regular" wardrobe -- clothes you've worn regularly in the last 3 to 6 months, and 2. clothes you haven't worn in eons. Only spend 5-10 seconds max per item on this task. Shoes go in a third laundry basket or out-of-the-way pile to be dealt with after the clothes.

Wash/wipe/sweep down the inside of the closet, including hooks and shelving, so it's ready to have items put back in -- but don't dwell on anything more than making sure the cobwebs and dust bunnies are wiped away. Speed is of the essence for this round! If you have an extra set of hands that this can be delegated to, do so. Your focus needs to be on the contents.

Next, quickly go through your "regular wardrobe" (the ones that have been worn in the last 3-6 months) and sort the "like new / good condition" from those that are showing wear. Re-hang (in an organized manner) those that are "like new / good condition." Those with wear showing, move to a different room, as they need to go. If in too bad of condition, put them directly into a trash bag for discard. You always want to put your best foot forward, and if it's showing wear, it's time to go, regardless of how much you like the item. Thread-barren elbows don't earn you points with the boss, even if it is your favorite silk blouse. Believe me, there's nothing more embarrassing than splitting an elbow in the conference room.

For the remainder -- the ones you haven't worn in months upon months upon months, look at each piece. Is it in good condition? Yes or No. If the answer is No, it goes in the trash bag. If yes, is it in style? Or, a style that has strong potential to come back? Yes, or no ... Does it fit right? Not sure, quickly try it on to see. Truly look at yourself in the mirror. Is it comfortable through the shoulders? Can you zip/button it? Is the waistline comfortable? Do you like it enough that you'd wear it in rotation with your "regular wardrobe" pieces? Do you like the fit and color? Do you have other pieces that you could wear it with? If so, re-hang it in your closet in the middle of other similar pieces so that it goes into rotation If not, donation pile. Would you be caught dead wearing that big-shoulder-pad blazer from the 1980's? Or that hot pink chunky sweater from 10 years ago? If not, move them to the donation pile. Do this for each piece. Rehang any keeps, and at the end move the remainder to the other room for donation.

Go through drawers one or two at a time, checking for stains, rips, stretched out elastic, etc. If too wrinkled, but a "keep", put it into the laundry basket; if not, move to donation. If a shirt has lots of stains or a few holes, discard into the trash bag. If still usable, but not a good fit, put it in the donation pile. After each round, move the donation pile to the other room. and go onto the next set of drawers.

Go through undergarments and socks -- remember that momma always told you to wear good underwear in case you were in an accident and wound up in the emergency room. Would you want a handsome doctor seeing you in those undies???? With holes in your socks??? With mis-matched socks???? Any bras that no longer fit, put in the donation pile. Charitable organizations always appreciate women's bras in good condition. Sort and match socks, trash bag for any without matches. Try on half and full slips to see if they still fit, and fold if they'll still work, or donate if not. I know a lot of people like to keep old socks for dusting. But, seriously, how many do you need? The "sock heaven" pile will continue to grow after this purge, so just get rid of them this time around.

And that pile of shoes ... do the exact same thing. Quickly sort out the ones you always wear on a daily/weekly basis from those that are worn infrequently. Try them on, if you haven't worn them recently. Any cracks or holes? Discard. If they're pinching your toes in your bedroom, how will they feel after 8 hours at work? Your feet deserve better! Line the keeps up in the closet, discards to the trash bag, others to the donation pile in the other room. I still had my wedding shoes in a box at the top of the closet. I no longer wear a size 7, and they were 3" chunky heel, rounded toe, Mary Jane's. Yes, they were sentimental. My daughter looked at me, holding the open box, and said "Seriously Mom? They don't fit ... and if they did, you'd break an ankle." Donated so that another bride may enjoy them, along with two other pair of 70's platforms.

As your last step of the day, move the trash bag to the rubbish bin. Then place all "donate" items into trash bags for ease of moving to the donation place. AND THEN GET THEM OUT OF THE HOUSE. Load them into the car and take them immediately for donation or have someone do it for you Do NOT keep these bags in the house.

Lastly, reward yourself with a nice dinner for purging that closet and those overflowing drawers. Yes, the closet and dresser will seem empty. But use your time and money going forward to only purchase what you definitely NEED, that fits and is a color you love, and is something that you will wear. No more buying simply because it's on sale or a good deal.

I will add that, if the item you are discarding is a top-line label ONLY and you can EASILY sell it online through PoshMark, or other similar service, move the item out of your closet/dresser and into a place where you tackle your hobbies. If it doesn't sell within 10-14 days max, move it into a donation bin. The time you spend marketing the item and the space that it's taking up are worth more than what you'll get for it. Your time and space are valuable. Let it go to someone who will utilize the item more than you have in the last couple of years!

My daughter and I took 2 days and went through 3 closets and 4 dressers. We sent 42 bags for donation at the end of the first day, and another 38 bags and 6 formal gowns the 2nd day. It was like a weight was lifted at the end. I had no idea how slim my work wardrobe was (I'd lost nearly 30 pounds the first year after my husband passed) and this exercise really showed me how I'd been presenting myself at work in slacks, tops, and jackets that were 2 sizes too large. When I rebuilt my work wardrobe, I did it with two suits, an extra sport coat, and an assortment of blouses that could go with any of the base pieces. And I only got two pair of jeans at that time, since they were primarily for evenings and weekends and could be dressed up or down. I've since switched things around -- more jeans than dress clothes, since I've retired. My DD did keep several of her dad's shirts and had them made into a pillow and cuddle bunny as a remembrance. Some other favorite T-shirts were set aside at my sister's house for a baby quilt, should she and DSIL decide to have children.

When it came time to pack up my kitchen, I used a similar process. No sense in paying to box and move items I'd not use on a regular basis. I kept a couple of keepsake baking implements from my DMIL, but other items went into a donation box for someone else to enjoy. Seriously, how many casserole dishes did I actually use on a regular basis? And, if I really need an extra one for a special event, I can grab one at Goodwill, and donate it back when I'm done with it.

Hope this helps!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have set myself some plans and goals for this year.
What I have learned in the past is things are changing so quickly and what is on my to do list now might look completely different by half way through the year. Here are a few things that I am thinking that I would like to achieve this year.
Katrina, are you going to add these goals as part of your weekly list? Or are you thinking of doing a separate weekly goals post?

This past year was really a year where I was able to fulfill a few small dreams. Part of the reason it happened was I made the effort daily. I didn't share it on my weekly list but I'm thinking about trying to do that this year.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Katrina, are you going to add these goals as part of your weekly list? Or are you thinking of doing a separate weekly goals post?
Mary, I will try and add these to my usual Weekly Wonders posts.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I always save my closet for last. It rarely gets done. Maybe I ought to start with my closet.
Why am I saving DH's jacket? Why do I still have some of his shirts, when someone might be able to get some use out of them?
Why do I still have my wedding dress, or dresses that I wore at a previous job but no longer fit into? (I did plan to fit into them again one day.)
This job is going to be BIG.
I am going to go for it.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I always save my closet for last. It rarely gets done. Maybe I ought to start with my closet.
Why am I saving DH's jacket? Why do I still have some of his shirts, when someone might be able to get some use out of them?
Why do I still have my wedding dress, or dresses that I wore at a previous job but no longer fit into? (I did plan to fit into them again one day.)
This job is going to be BIG.
I am going to go for it.
Most of us wear the same 10 things over and over again, with the rest of the closet filled with stuff we don't use. It's great to have that space back! I found that the key is to go as quickly as possible. Sort and move on. For those in my age bracket, you know that you'll never fit into that size 3 blouse, or your favorite size 7 (pre-baby) jeans. And do you really think you'll wear that maternity dress again? I found work suits from the early 1990s that no longer fit, were ugly colors (seriously, a peach skirt and matching jacket and a kelly green plaid one), and were so out of style that they could not be altered.

We kept a few of DHs shirts, to have keepsakes made from, and I did keep my wedding dress (boxed and sealed, so it sits at the top of the closet). The thought is to have a christening gown made for any grandchildren. Make a date with your closet and go for it!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I agree with Lori. I had clothes that were way too small for me (or I was too big) but I kept them for that one day when I might fit into them. When I looked at them though I knew that they were so out of date that I would never wear them. I asked DD to give me her opinion and she was right, a lot of it was not what reflected me at where I am now. I threw out so many clothes and ended up with a wardrobe that suited me and my time of life, everything I have I wear and it looks good on me. I have not bought clothes for myself for a long while as I have everything I need.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I have several goals for 2022

1. Back to clean and healthy eating, getting more active to lose weight and just feel better health wise.
2. Purge and declutter .. we have so much "stuff" that we don't need/use so its time to find new homes for the stuff.
3. Repaint the foyer, stairway and upstairs hallway
4. Repaint the front door.
5. Last year I became a Color Street stylist and I want to grow this into a nice side business so we can pay off our debt faster and maybe to spoil to our first grandchild whom is due to arrive this summer.
6. Make sure I make time for myself.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
There are several goals I'm going to work on this year --
  • Health -- I need to get my weight down. It's a goal I set every year, and little/nothing comes of it. This year, I have no choice. It's GOT to happen. Going to start with a goal of 5# per month, but may find that I need to scale it back to 3#. I also need to up my water intake. I have a habit of wanting a beverage whenever I'm in the car. Rather than making a stop a Dunkin or Starbucks for a coffee or McD for a diet Coke, I'm going to grab my water bottle and fill it before leaving home. That will also help with my financial goals, below.
  • Financial -- I'm anticipating some large expenditures in 2022 (carpet replacement, DW is starting to have some issues, I had a roof leak and need to have a stairwell ceiling repainted, ...). So, saving some money along the way will help. I'm going back to an envelope-type system and using cash for groceries and entertainment (outings with my widows group, and other). With prices rising and the amount I have in my pantry and freezer, I can do better with my grocery purchases. Additionally, I feel that it's time I reign in some of the time I spend with my widows group and start moving in a different direction. All of the events involve eating out or doing other activities with an associated cost. Watching my pennies in that area will help me refine my decisions. Because I get cash back on gas purchases, I'll still use my card for fill-ups.
  • Happiness -- I need to focus on me, being a better person. That will involve my spirituality, through exploration of various churches in my area, spiritual reading and reflection, and just doing a better job of taking care of me. This also fits with my Words of the Year -- patience and purging, eliminating that which does not bring me peace and joy.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lori, a few things that you mentioned are relevant to me too.
I make sure that I always have a water bottle at the end of my kitchen bench, as I walk past I take a sip. When I first started upping my water I set an alarm to go off every hour to remind me to drink. I always have a water bottle in the fridge, then it is ready for me to grab. I write a reminder on my shopping list to grab water. If I know I am going out I put my water bottle next to the car keys. Little reminders help.

Financial, this is where DH and I have had to make some adjustments. My work hours were cut in half in October so therefore my wage was cut in half. Meal prepping, a fuel watch app, and just mindfully cutting back has helped. It is still a struggle but is achievable with a bit of work. I look at the grocery store catalogues around me and make my shopping list according to which stores have the best prices. We do not eat out often but if we do we cut back in other areas.