Post-Christmas-Blues as every year... :-(

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
Every year it is the same... somewhere between Christmas and New Year I fall in a kind of post-christmas blues... I don't understand that - I have always so many things to do, crafting projects, plans etc - but nevertheless, each year it hits me.
Everything is over so fast. And now I face into a long winter until spring with sun and warm weather comes up.

So let us collect here our strategies how we come up again. I would be really interested in getting your ideas!

Here are those I already do:
- Celebrate Christmas as long as possible. I try to keep in mind (it is difficult for me, but I try) that christmas isn't over yet. It goes until 6th of January - so there is still time for celebrating, reading christmassy books (eg Anne Perry), listening to christmas music...
- Post-Christmas-Party: Those who celebrated christmas eve with us will be invited again for a post-christmas-party. We light christmas tree once again and all other christmas lights (indoor and outdoor), eat last christmas cookies and other christmassy things and talk. About last christmas, our wishes for upcoming christmas as well as our expectations to the new year.
- Winter decoration - so our home will not look too empty
- I love celebrations with my family and friends - so why not celebrating a little bit during the year? A grilling party in summer with my family or a brunch with friends?
- Plan ahead - which activities can we do in spring/summer - where are interesting places near to us to see and when?

These ideas are new for 2012
- Focus on other celebrations as well - eg Easter - let's have a "special thing" at easter. I would like to introduce something (aside of egg-hunt for DD) which we only do at easter. But I haven't got any ideas yet on this.
- Introduce family-celebrations: eg once a month on Sunday we have special breakfast with something we usually don't have in the morning (eg pancakes or waffles) or a monthly pizza evening where each of us creates its own, special pizza, etc
- Try to find a kind of celebration every day and find the "magic thing" every day. - even it is a family dinner or playing afternoon with DH and DD. I already tried this in the past, but I am still working on it.

I look forward to read about your ideas!
Chilli

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I try to plan a sort of "magical" activity at least once a month. Many months it relates to the season, holiday or events during the month. I posted in a different thread last night about a plan for January. (Which is really one of the dreariest months here, so I know I can always use a little "pick me up.") I found the Charlie Brown movie "Happiness is a Warm Blanket" for $2 at Walmart on Black Friday. I saved it back so we could have a a theme night with Pigs in a Blanket, the movie, and each kid will get a new blanket. Hubby and I already got new blankets for Christmas, so I'm not planning on one for us. In January we will also have a New Years Eve and/or New Years Day Party.

In February we will have our own little Super Bowl Party...a big deal here this year since we are near the host city and can go downtown to take in all the sights. February is also Valentines, so we will have a couple of Valentine themed nights. I have made heart shaped pizzas and meatloaf before, even spaghetti with heart shaped meatballs. In the past we have made crafts, valentines, and baked goods like cookies, candies, almond bark or white chocolate covered pretzels decorated with Valentine sprinkles.

I'm still in the planning stages...but for March we will have our usual St Patrick's Day stuff. I was thinking of doing a Green Day where the kids would get a used book or DVD. Plus, I am planning another night with a rainbow theme to go along with a Wizard of Oz dinner and a movie night. I have only thought of a couple of ideas so far...flying monkey bread, and/or a yellow brick road made of mini cornbread loaves. I still have time, but I haven't come up with a main entree yet.

So, basically we just continue through the year with a little celebration of each holiday, month or theme along the way.

Last edited:

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
Candysprinkles: Thank you very, very much for your thoughts...

"So, basically we just continue through the year with a little celebration of each holiday, month or theme along the way."

This is exactly what I am looking for in 2012 - have this magic, the celebration, not just once a month, but through the year. I will search your posts for January!

Chilli

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I also have been comtemplating a monthly celebration. When I get my ideas together will post. Just wanted to make sure I was subscribed to this thread. Love the ideas already posted.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
We're planning to celebrate the New Year with my boys (6 & 2) at noon on Saturday. We'll have noisemakers, hats and a cake decorated like a clock with the hands just about to strike midnight. I'm still working on a music playlist as my boys love to dance! ;)

We also make a big deal out of Valentine's day, spending several days crafting gifts for grandparents, aunts & uncles, etc. We usually have heart shaped pancakes and chocolate milk for breakfast (a big treat!)

That's as far as I've gotten in the planning for 2012. DH and I have agreed to give each other one "free pass" per month that entitles us to a couple of free hours...to play squash with the guys, meet a friend for dinner or take a bubble bath in peace, etc. We'll see how that works out.

Great thread! I can't wait to see everyone's ideas.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I use to get the blues after the Holidays. Then I realised it wasn't gone, the Holiday would repeat it self over and over. Once on this site it really helped because I can read, chat and plan for the next Holiday Season with others who are doing the same.

I am the only one in my family and even with my friends that does Christmas stuff all year long. I enjoy the season and stretching it out over 12 months is so much fun.

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Hi Chilli,

I also got the "blues" of sorts this year. It was Christmas evening after all our guests had gone home and the kids were in bed. I guess it was just the feeling of Christmas being over. So many months planning, days cooking and preparing dishes ahead of time, Christmas activities with the family and suddenly... it was all over! I think once I got used to the idea of being on holiday (I am off work until the 9th January) I was happier and able to relax. Surprisingly, I am still busy, but it is less about Christmas and more about catching up with family and friends. We have a Boxing Day get together with the extended family, but that is really where Christmas ends here.

I also try to do something special at least once a month. It is so easy to get in to a routine of going to work, making dinner, sleeping and going back to work. It is nice to plan special days too. I have a list of places to go with the family - one per month. Most of these are touristy things which we wouldn't normally do. They don't have to cost anything either - there are plenty of free community events and family activities on throughout the year!

Also, I am going to try to plan more for St Patricks Day, Easter and Fairy Day and a possible weekend away with the extended family in Spring.

I think it is important to spread focus throughout the year :)

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I get the letdown blues too. Not actually let down, just like Sarah said...all that work and it's done. I also feel sad that the family isn't close and all that drama comes up again.

I plan stuff each month and try to make the regular special. It helps, as does getting back into the routine of life.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I, too, love Christmas - the decorating, the baking, the wrapping, the love that is shared. I find it hard that the day after Christmas, the radio stations stop playing Christmas music and the stores are turning to St. Valentine's Day. The Christmas season isn't over yet.

I usually keep the outdoor wreaths up until St. Valentine's Day. I have artificial garland hanging up around my fireplace mantle. It has white lights on it. I will keep those lights on when I'm home and light a candle in the fireplace. It just makes things seem more peaceful, calm and hopeful in the winter.

I also slowly undecorate the house. I didn't decorated it in a day. It won't be put away in a day. That helps keep the season going in my heart a bit longer.

Mary

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I used to really get the blues after Christmas but times have changed. I now look forward to the quiet and peace that after Christmas brings.
For me, January- a month I used to dread- has become a month of quiet interspection as I plan the next year, a time to try a new, homey recipe and nights of snuggling up in blankies for a movie or a book.

I do agree with teachermomof2- I do get sad that the family time- of playing games, that deep feeling of love and appreciation seems to disipate.

Chilli- I was thinking too, about how to make the whole year very special. I tend to get gung ho around Valentines day and then it drops off. I would like Easter to be more special this year. My family doesn't really do a big event for it and I would like to do more.

Candysprinkles- LOVE the Wizard of Oz dinner idea!!!!!

Annie

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I used to have a terrible time from almost Christmas afternoon on.

A few things I did was I take the weeks after Christmas to visit family - I bring cookies and Christmas wishes or a Happy New year with a coffee cake visit. I also created a list of things I would like to accomplish 'for me' during the break *I have two weeks off at Christmas. This year it is finishing a novel, and knitting a snowball scarf. I take a bit of extra time and celebrate 12th Night, a mini Christmas of sorts. We have a nice meal (ham this year) and pop Christmas crackers.

I like the quieter winter nights, the lighted candles, cooking hearty soups or stews and baking bread as we play board games.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I say, I'm going to expand our holiday celebrations to the week after and it just seems to loose it's luster after the fact. However, I do agree that I look forward to the down time January brings.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
To help avoid the post Christmas blues there are afew different things we do and this year we are adding a new idea (tomorrow when we take down the outside Christmas decorations we will leave the light up snowman and string snowflake lights outside) I hate going from the having the front decorated with lights for fall and Christmas to nothing in January so this year we will leave the winter lights ups and on until March.

Once we take down the inside Christmas decorations, we will replace some with the snowman decorations we have.

Didnt make all the cookies we wanted to do at Christmas time so will be baking here and there during winter to bake the cookies we didnt get to.

We have winter themed coffee mugs that will be in use until spring. Also stocked up on plenty of hot cocoa makings and bags of marshmallows - regular and the peppermint flavored ones.

Right now at Yankee they have all their leftover fall, christmas and winter secented tarts and candles one clearance. I bought 20 tarts in fall and christmas scents for 50 cents each. I will save some for next fall/christmas and use some from now til Spring.

I am ALWAYS on the hunt for good deals on gifts for birthdays and next Christmas. Now and during the next month or so is a great time to find deals. Also picked up couple gifts for next Christmas!

And when all else fails to keep the blues at bay I pop in a good Christmas movies, make some hot cocoa and popcorn and just enjoy!

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
I always feel a little let down this time of year too--all that lovely prep and anticipation, and then the presents are opened, the food is eaten, and the grandbaby goes home..BUT we have this site and each other, and I love all the suggestions- Christmas is never really over here-thank goodness...

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
I am also happy to have this forum here - no one else understands this "down time" after christmas better... ;-)
And I have to say that it is ok for me now - Christmas is over. I am not completely happy but it is ok. Today I put down a part of the christmas decoration (outside, quilts, tableclothes and all other little things) - only christmas tree and advent wreath are still up. And I watched a christmas movie while putting down everything.
We also still turn on lights on christmas tree every day and sing some christmas carols with DD - she loves this and always brings her little song book. We will keep it like this until next weekend.

This year I say good-bye to christmas season step by step. So the end of christmas season is not too surprisingly for me. And I also will do some christmassy things during the year whenever I want (and find time for) - eg watching a christmas movie, reading christmassy books or crafting for christmas. I have never done this before during the year, but I think - why not? Can be fun - it is a hot summer day and I sit in the garden or balcony and read eg Anne Perry's christmas crime stories. :) :)

I also put some winter decoration up already today - I don't like it if everything is empty. And I look forward to other festivities during the year.
Martha Stewart posted ideas for Valentines Day on her homepage already and I also have her new book at home ("Martha Stewart's Handmade Holiday Crafts: 225 Inspired Projects For Year-Round Celebrations") - it was a christmas gift by DH :) :) :)

I look forward to exchange our christmas spirits also during the year! And you will see time is running - faster than expected we will exchange our ideas/progress for HGP 2012 here and discuss our christmas decoration for upcoming season!:)

Chilli

GeeWibble

Premiere Member
Mar 29, 2008
NY
I love that here we all are, feeling the same Christmas crash. Today I was ready to take the tree down, and de-decorate, but we finally got the snow that makes it look so pretty outside like a Christmas card. I just couldn’t take them down. So, a couple more days of lights, candles, and music I’m gonna pretend that it’s the week before Christmas not the week after.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
, but we finally got the snow that makes it look so pretty outside like a Christmas card. I just couldn’t take them down. So, a couple more days of lights, candles, and music I’m gonna pretend that it’s the week before Christmas not the week after.

GeeWibble - I like the way you think! ;)

SantasGirl

Retire Member
Jan 13, 2008
Southeastern Ohio
So glad to know I'm not the only one with the Christmas blues. I've had such a heavy heart this past week. Each Christmas is so special - you never know what the New Year will bring & who may or may not be with you next year. I agree that it doesn't seem right that we spend months preparing and the day after Christmas, it's back to life (and our jobs) - almost like it was a dream. Just seems so unfair!!!
I've pondered my feelings and came to the conclusion that, for me anyway, it's all about- #1. The Expectation - having something happy to look forward to! #2. Gift Giving. Not something I do throughout the year but something I love - making others happy. So I'm resolving to- #1. plan things throughout the year that I'll have to look forward to and #2. to be more attentive to everyday life and performing random acts of kindness - no matter how small it might seem.
So appreciative of this site! It really does help to know I'm not alone :)

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
I love that here we all are, feeling the same Christmas crash. Today I was ready to take the tree down, and de-decorate, but we finally got the snow that makes it look so pretty outside like a Christmas card. I just couldn’t take them down. So, a couple more days of lights, candles, and music I’m gonna pretend that it’s the week before Christmas not the week after.

I fully understand you - it sounds great...

Enjoy it as long as possible!

Chilli ("without snow here...")

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i have something to look fwd to since i enjoy christmas too in like 28 weeks we will have christmas back out in cracker barrel. yay. i love it when they put it out early