Post-Christmas-Blues as every year... :-(

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

caitsmum

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2008
Bedfordshire England
Santasgirl, random acts of kindness can make you feel really happy - and having been on the recieving end of some little ones, I can say it makes the recipient feel warm inside too!
I think I might add it to my list as well!

Last week I had to go into London with the kids - I hate the place with a passion! Lol! Anyway, we went in by train and of course by the time we got their my smalls wanted the bathroom. When we found it (because it's ALWAYS at the other end of the station to where you are isn't it!) we discovered it was 20p to get in!
I duely scratted in my purse and found the right combinations of coins and in we all started going. I'd put coins in the slot and pushed my eldest and youngest through the turnstile whe the Polish Attendent arrives and started telling me off "Oh no Madam, children don't pay, they got through the gate, come on my dear!"

So I got in for nothing....made my day! :)

On the way out we saw 2 young backpackers obvioulsy looking for change to get in, the sounded French. I gave them my pre-counted change and made them smile. Win-win for all of us!

I actually had a fabulous day in London after that!
AM

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
Greetings all,

One thing that I think helps to ward-off the post-Christmas blues is to Celebrate Christmas in the traditional way of 12 days. For our family, Christmas Day is not the end, but the beginning of the celebration. Our extended-family gatherings are scheduled for Christmas week, when the children are on holiday and all of the crush of decorating, cooking, and shopping has ended. The tree stays up and lit, and the house remains decorated until the Epiphany. This evening we will get together to celebrate the 12th day of Christmas with our traditional 12th night celebration; dinner and one last small gift in remembrance of the gifts brought to Jesus by the wise men on this, the 12 night of Christmas.

Cheers!

Gidget-

PS If anyone is interested, here is a reprint of my post about our 12th Night party 2011:

We will be celebrating 12th night (Little Christmas, Epiphany, Three Kings Day) on January the sixth. Our planned menu, an Old English supper, is:
*Wassail
*Meat pies
*Tossed green salad
Thin slices of whole wheat bread
*Spice cake (with two beans inside)

**In olden times Christmas decorations were burned, so after we un-etrim our tree, we save a few branched to burn in the fire; we sprinkle with rosemary, bay , and frakincense.
**We put the remainder of our tree outside. We cut our stringed cranberries and popcorn from their strings (it gives us peace-of-mind knowing that the birds will not get tangled in the string and hurt themselves), and use them to fill orange cups which we tuck among the branches for the birds to feast upon; the children enjoy making the treats for the birds.
**The table is set with a red cloth and white ironware. I have a large wood bowl for the centerpiece that I fill with ornament (from the tree), and we light the diningroom ablaze with candles.
**We usually have a few Christmas crackers left over, so the "king" and "queen" can crack them open and wear the crowns.
**This is the day that I place my wise men (three kings) in my nativity set - I place the baby Jesus in on Christmas day.
**One of my family members usually plays Christmas tunes on our piano, and we round off the Christmas season singing carols by the fire.
**I am sending each of my guest home with a small cloth drawstring bag (very easy to make) containing a gold coin ($1 Sacagawea coin) and a cone of incense that contains frankincense and myrrh.

We find it a peaceful and relaxing way to top-off the Christmas season.

Gidget-

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Gidget - that sounds like a wonderful way to end the Christmas season. Thank you for sharing the details and enjoy your 12th night celebration!

Last edited:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Gidget- LOVE it! I am going to virtually transport myself to Boston tonight!!!!

Annie