Practicing Good Pantry Skills...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Never thought to mash up some canned potatoes. Brilliant

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I’m not sure if we can get canned potatoes. I will have to look.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I think our freezer is going out! :(:eek::confused:o_O What in the world am I going to do to protect what we've bought?! We ordered my mom a new freezer the second week of March, and it isn't coming in until mid-May (if then). Hopefully, I can find a floor model somewhere.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I think our freezer is going out! :(:eek::confused:o_O What in the world am I going to do to protect what we've bought?! We ordered my mom a new freezer the second week of March, and it isn't coming in until mid-May (if then). Hopefully, I can find a floor model somewhere.

My parents' freezer section of the refrigerator started to go at the end of February. They ordered a new refrigerator in February. Back then, they were told they could deliver it April 21st. They called yesterday to say they would deliver it to the garage but wouldn't install it in the kitchen. o_O My mom said the store can keep it until the store can someone to install it and take the other one. It looks like May 8th will be the day now. My parents did call around for a small freezer that could be dropped off in their garage and plugged in there but they were all sold out.

As of yesterday, my parents can't store ice cream in the freezer without it going soft but they can still use it to keep foods cold. My mom has a big batch of meatballs in sauce that are in the freezer. She said that they are still solid from February so they will keep that in the freezer as long as they can.

Are you able to take some frozen foods to someone to store for you? I took my parents' best meats to store in our deep freezer at the beginning of March. I gave them our electric cooler for them to use in case things got real bad. They haven't had to use it yet.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
OH NO - JANE!!!

What have you been able to do? Hoping, hoping you were able to get a new freezer!

And Mary!!!! Any updates on your parents situation?

A co-worker of DH's was in the same boat a few weeks ago - fortunately it was their deep freeze and it was almost completely empty - they had just hoped to start stocking it and no dice. I'm not sure if they've been able to get another freezer yet! :(

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I've been looking online at freezers. The one I want can't be ordered online. Guess I'll have to go in store to order it. Most frozen stuff is staying frozen.

No one with extra freezer space. My mom's went out in February. She bought one in March. It was supposed to be in, in two weeks. It still isn't in.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
No bueno :(

I just realized that the little freezer over our downstairs fridge is not freezing things properly - at least I don't think so? I had a can of OJ concentrate in the door and it was liquid :(

I have bags of flour and loaves of bread in that freezer mainly so I think it will be ok - DH is going to look at it later...

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm sorry that all of you are dealing with freezer issues. It's never a great time, but now is definitely not a great time! I hope you can all figure something out soon.

DH was able to find a big bag of flour when he shopped this week so I think I might make a sourdough starter. DD and Eli can help me and it will be a learning experience everyday, and a joke, as we "feed" it. ;)

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Our local grocery store had yeast in. First time in 3 weeks that they had in so hopefully this means other stores will be getting some in too.

Sorry that everyone seems to be having freezer issues.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm going downstairs to check up on my freezer. Seems to be something in the air. Freezer virus.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Does anyone have a simple, no yeast, no knead bread recipe? We love homemade bread but don't like all the work to make it..

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I used a chunk of hamburger meat tonight that was in the freezer for a while. We used some shrimp Tuesday night that needed to be used, too.

Currently, everything is still frozen. The alarm is no longer activating. The only thing not staying frozen are sausage links and wieners. Weird! Dh thinks we should wait and see if it continues to keep food frozen.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Diedra, there definitely seems to be a freezer virus going around!

Sorry others are having issues, too! Didn't know it was contagious!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I used a chunk of hamburger meat tonight that was in the freezer for a while. We used some shrimp Tuesday night that needed to be used, too.

Currently, everything is still frozen. The alarm is no longer activating. The only thing not staying frozen are sausage links and wieners. Weird! Dh thinks we should wait and see if it continues to keep food frozen.

Maybe the door wasn't closed all the way when the alarm activated? Hope it continues to work for you.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
And Mary!!!! Any updates on your parents situation?

I saw my parents yesterday when I gave them some groceries. The situation is the same but not worse. They'll take that given the circumstances.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Diedra, there definitely seems to be a freezer virus going around!

Sorry others are having issues, too! Didn't know it was contagious!

Jane check for inside vents in the freezer. Our refrigerator bottom went out around Christmas 2018. But the freezer still works as long as we keep the vents clear and don't over fill it. Good thing cause all we could afford was a small dorm size refrigerator.. Thankfully it's freezer holds more than it looks like it would

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
When looking for spices, besides looking in the baking aisle of your store, check to see if the ethnic food aisle also has spices.

I've been having a hard time finding ground ginger and anise seed in the grocery stores. One of the grocery stores near me has a whole aisle dedicated to various ethnic foods. Within that aisle is a spice section and I found it there. :D

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
When looking for spices, besides looking in the baking aisle of your store, check to see if the ethnic food aisle also has spices.

EXCELLENT point, Mary!!! For that matter, little ethnic grocery stores, Asian and Hispanic are other possible alternative places to get certain things.

SO....I accidentally ordered double on every item of my last Walmart curbside pickup order. Their system was glitching the night before my order could be edited for the last - didn't realize - luckily it was a small order. We'll use it all, just have some extra Pop Tarts now basically - oh NO :D

But it also meant I ended up with 4 lbs each of lemons and limes.

Sigh.

So I juiced them all - my arm hurts so bad!!! - and have frozen the juice in ice cube trays.

Now I'm working on what to do with all the rinds!!! Normally I would just freeze them but I want to save freezer space for meat right now.

So far I've come up with adding several rinds to a big jar of vinegar - I can let that sit for 2 weeks, strain it and use it as a cleaner. Can use full strength or dilute 50/50 with water.

I'm going to bust out the dehydrator and dehydrate as much of it as I can. Then process in food processor to make powder.

I'm going to use some of the rind to make DIY Lemon Pepper Seasoning by mixing with fresh ground pepper and kosher salt. I'm thinking I'll try and make a Lime Pepper Seasoning as well - just for the heck of it.

I've perfected making fresh lemonade one glass at a time to DS's supreme satisfaction.

Ways to used dried citrus zest:

Mix bits of dried peel with black tea or herbal tea for a citrus kick.
Use it in homemade liquors and liqueurs.
Add a burst of citrus to bath scrubs and salts with a few tablespoons of dried peel.
Combine it with sea salt for a citrus seasoning for chicken or fish.
Add it to a vinaigrette with other herbs to toss on a salad, fresh vegetables or even fresh fruit.

What else can you guys think of?

I also found this other interesting method of preserving rinds - in Salt!!!

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/salt-preserved-citrus-skins

In other pantry news I've been saving bread heels and am trying to think of what to use them for. Meatloaf? My mom used to add bread and egg to ground beef to stretch the meat when making burgers. I guess I could make homemade bread crumbs? Any other ideas?

I baked an acorn squash for DH's lunch today and have saved the seeds. They are washed and set out to dry on top of a splatter screen - will toss with olive oil and spices and roast.

I'm addicted to Quarantine Crackers (formerly known as Seasoned Oyster Crackers) - TRULY - I CAN NOT STOP EATING THEM...

So easy to make!!! And they can be frozen too - I actually prefer them cold out of the freezer.

That's all I got for now!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Great ideas. I use a lot of lemon zest so I’d be happy with 4 pounds of lemons.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom