Present hunts

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Deckr8r

Retire Member
Jun 22, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I don't do this very often, but last year I gave DH and 3DS tickets to a big deal event that they were going to go to together. Obviously they had to open the envelopes at the same time and then my gift giving would be over. Poof! No fun. So I sent them on a "hunt" to make it last longer for me and for them. So what I'm looking for in this thread is your ideas for clues. Here's what I did.

I wrapped each one a silly book about dogs. (to make them think it might be a puppy.
In the books were pieces of a written out explanation about me wanting to make it last longer and blah blah blah, that they had to piece together to understand which told them to beg me to give them another clue. While they were piecing I put on a Tiara and held a queen's scepter. (a dowel and a christmas pick ontop with ribbon). And they came a beggin.
After sufficient sucking up I handed them an envelope with a piece of St. Patricks Day scrapbook paper and stickers saying "MUST be read in Irish brogue! I"m a lucky little leprechaun and I have a pot of gold at the "end of the rainbow" " - a 3inch crafty paper rainbow taped to the wall in another room with a piece of string they had to follow around the room and out the door to the porch where I had put a plastic halloween cauldron with gold gift wrap shred.
In the bottom was a note from the pirate Jack Sparrow, which one of them had to read like a pirate, saying he had stole the gold and hid it where no one would find it in an AAArrrrchitecture book. Jack isn't too bright telling like that. (I love architecture and it's a great word for a pirate to say) And they got help finding the book with HOT or COLD around the house.
In the book was a scrapbook page pirate map where I had put a bunch of X's and labeled various piratey points of interest and only one which meant anything "The coal diggins". Our dog Coal always digs in the same place. If you squish the page like trash it looks older, then fold it or roll it.
In Coal's hole was a little toy treasure chest with those gold chocolate coins and a letter on each one (felt marker) they had to play with until they figured out it said "20 questions"
It only took them six.
For your hunt the last step would probably be actually finding the gift.

It was a lot of advance planning but really fun. I did have to stop the gift opening while I set up some of it like the rainbow and the pot of gold.

Did I mention my sons were 22, 25, and a married 28! :grin:

Deckr8r Sorry this is really long

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Wow, that sounds like so much fun!!

sunshine

Retire Member
Jun 23, 2008
We did this with virtually all of dd's presents this last Christmas. She "knew" she was getting a computer for college, etc. So we hid the presents, and had the 1st clue in her stocking, then she'd find one gift - bring it back to the living room to open, and the next clue was in that gift, for the next one. She LOVED it. It made it much more fun for her, as the last one we have at home - the other two are married.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Don't be sorry! What a fantastic way to give a gift! Love that you dressed up as a queen! Too funny! Much more fun! Love the idea of doing this for Christmas gifts too!
I'm not sure if I read it on OC or another site, but someone had the idea of using yarn for toddlers(who can't read clues)and they had to find the gift by following the yarn. Just another idea. I'd love to hear other gift hunting experiences! :flower:

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
I love gift clue treasure hunts! That sounds so fun! :flower:

One year, I threw DH a pirate party, so *of course* he had to have a treasure hunt to find his gifts. :package:

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
That is really neat! Regardless of the age at Christmas we are all kids. I am cutting back (so I think) this year and would love to do something of the sort. My kids at Christmas will be DS 24, DD 21 and DD's BF 22.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
This is so cute!!! it's way more fun than opening a gift bag!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Thanks for this idea..I think with the older kids who often know what their larger present is, this might make it more fun. My daughters getting to that age, where toys just don't cut it. So I'm bummed that she'll have an idea about what she's getting. This next Christmas she wants a Pink Motorcycle helmet for dirt biking. It's not something we can buy without her, so I'm going to find an old helmet and spray paint it pink with a verse written on it. Then we'll box it up, so she has a helmet to open. I thought I came up with a pretty good solution myself... :applause:

johnasmom

Retire Member
Dec 18, 2007
Central Michigan
This sounds like a great idea. We have a Disney trip planned for Christmas this year and the kids know about it. They also know that their Christmas will be rather small. I am putting together things that they will need or use on the trip. Any of you creative ladies have any Disney themed suggestions for the clues.

cipalla

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
PA
WOW! that was a great idea, you really made it cool, even for the older kids! :applause:

snowangel00

Santa's Elves
Oct 9, 2007
Winter Wonderland
What a creative way to give a gift. I am sure your sons and husband enjoyed it as much as you enjoyed watching them try to figure out the clues.

Great idea! thank you for sharing this with all of us!
:pink:

When I was 8 somehow SANTA forgot to put my Patrick Ewing Basketball under the tree. I was extremely upset because that is the ONE gift I wanted that year. Well my parents told us to get dressed and I overheard my parents arguing. By the time we were dressed there was a note on the tree (that somehow in the 4 hours we were up waiting to open presents and then finally finished opening presents) that I missed.....yeah right. Anyway it said that Santa hid one more present for me and I had to ply hot an cold with my parents. Lo and behold it wound up being UNWRAPPED behind the TV in the corner of the living room. Yeah I think the Santa gig was up for me after that!!!!