preserving holiday greenery

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
When we went to tag our tree yesterday, I asked about buying tree trimmings for making garland. (By the way, they were giving them away free!! :applause: ) so ask!!!!! The owner told me that she researched making wreaths, garland, etc., but was too busy to do it herself with the tree business.
She said professional places that sell them coat them with liquid floor wax to keep them fresh and keep them from drying out. She said to dip the branches into the wax then allow it to dry. After it dries, make whatever you want!!!
I haven't tried it yet because it has been raining every since we picked up the tree trimmings. :huh: Glad for the rain, but it has hampered decorating. If anyone has tried this or gets to try this before me, let me know how it goes. :help:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I know in garden shops there is a spray used to keep evergreens from drying out during the winter. Not sure what it is called or if you could use it inside.

I can't see dipping them into wax. You'd have to have a huge pan of melted wax. The wax would have to be very hot to put a thin coat on the greens. Not something to do inside the house.

I'd think any clear spray coating would help keep them fresh. Maybe something from the hardware store.