Pumpkin Pie cooking tips

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Half the time I buy a Pumpkin Pie instead of baking one. This year I decided to bake one since my dd is here. The two of us have to eat gluten-free so I made a g-f ginger snap crust for the pie.

I've cooked it the time on the can of pumpkin recipe. 10 minutes on 450 and then 40 minutes on 350. I turned the oven off now and let the pie sit in the oven for another 20 minutes. The center is still not set. I can't ever remember a pumpkin pie cooking completely in the time given on the can. Anyone else have this happen? What's your tips for cooking pumpkin pies?

I know the frozen ones cook up just fine. lol

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
This reply is probably too late for this year's pumpkin pie, but here it is anyway...

I've never heard of letting the pie set for 20 minutes in the oven after baking it. Are you testing doneness with a butter knife? You cut into the center of the pie, and if the knife comes out clean, it's done. I don't know if there is any other way to tell. When you take the pie out of the oven, it doesn't look like the center is set. It sets as it cools, and the center falls a bit.

Don't have any problem with mine. I think they are about the easiest pie of all to make!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I decided to "taste test" the pie last night. It is very creamy but held it's shape. It got the seal of approval from three people. Not sure how the pie will go over today when people see some it already gone. lol

After Dinner Update:
They perferred the pie I had last year. So that's it for baking pumpkin pies. Last year's pie came from Sam's Club. They said this pie didn't have enough pumpkin taste. I have to agree with them. The canned pumpkin does not have much pumpkin taste. So less work next year, it comes from the store.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Fill in the space with whipped cream! :turkey:

I just wanted to comment here....I check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in, if it comes out clean its done. I also like mine to stay in longer and get a bit browner on top. I cover the crust up with tin foil so they do not burn and therefore letting the pie bake longer with out the danger of burning crust.

Also if pie didnt taste as you like it, did you put enough spices in? I have never used canned pumpkin pie, i only process my own pumpkins and use my own spices therefore knowing how much is in it and how it tastes. You can taste the canned pumpkin and just add some extra spices you like. I someone who does this and loves it.

Just a thought.

Did you use a recipe on the can? Do you need a recipe to try out again?