Question-HGP Tasks

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I'm curious how others break up their HGP tasks.

Do you do a little each day?

Set aside one day a week to do everything?

Do certain things on certain days? Cleaning on one, making of meal on another, crafting on yet another?

Annie

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I do a combo of the two I pick and choose which would work then I do it as my schedule allows. I don't set a time.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I do the majority of the tasks on the weekends but some things after work during the week. If I don't get the entire to do list done before it's time to go to the next week I highlight what did not get done and move on to the next area. When I come up to a week where I don't have what they are organizing (an attic for instance) then I go back and try to get as many highlighted items done that I can.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
That question my dear is totally for each individual, their peak performance times and their schedules. I no longer work outside the home so once I finish my daily routine then I focus on my room for the week which often gives me alot more time each day compared to someone who works outside of the home or has little ones under foot.

When I worked outside the home I generally did the easy stuff after work and saved the deep cleaning and more time consuming items for the weekend.

And as Kim pointed out, you can always go back to touch up those missed items during a fairly light week or on a week when others are organizing an area that doesn't apply to you. Just customize it to what works best for you and your schedule.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I currently work full time outside of the home, plus have a 2 yr old - so the HGP is definitely a stretch at times for me.

For me personally, I tend to get most done on the weekends, especially during naptime. :)

Easier or lighter tasks are something I try to do on the weeknights. Holiday meal prep, for example, can be integrated into my normal evening routine. After dinner but before I do dishes I might work on putting a freezer meal together.

I'm working really hard on training myself to go to bed just a bit earlier at night so I can get up an hour before everyone else in the morning. Depending on the time of year, I plan to use this "extra" time to go to the gym, or work in the garden or this fall - to work on the HGP.

I've found that it is an ongoing series of adjustments for LIFE. Try it, if it doesn't work try something else, then try something else. The main thing is to try not to just give up! :)

But I also remind myself that it won't ALL get done. And that whatever I do get done, is more than I would have if I hadn't tried at all! :)

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I love Aunt Jamelle's concept of "something is better than nothing." When I first found the HGP, I was very disappointed with myself that I couldn't do it all! Then, I realized, after buying and reading CEO's book, that she was a stay-at-home-mom. I would love to be one and have nothing against people who are, but as Ejagno pointed out, it's a very different situation for someone who works outside the home and/or has little ones, as I was reminded yesterday while keeping DGSs!!

For me, the bulk of the work is done on weekends with the smaller things being done at night after I get home from work. For some reason, the freezer meals never work for me and I really want to focus on that this year.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Thanks for the input!

I'm always interested in seeing how everyone works plans out.

Like Missjane said- I always want to do the plans perfectly and cross every item off the list and then it always seems to fizzle out and I get disappointed.
I agree with Jane, I like what AuntJamelle wisely said, "Something is better than nothing."

And I told myself this yesterday (yes, I do talk to myself-ha ha).
I said, "Annie, doing a little bit here-even if it isn't all of it, is better than trying to do marathon, all night sessions at the holidays."

Which is why these plans were created in the first place!

:)

Annie

Merry Christmas

MHH Member
Oct 16, 2007
Rocky Mountains
Most of mine gets done on the weekends, but I do try to work on some of it through the week as well. For me it all depends on what needs to be done and what kind of time I have the week to do it.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Like Missjane said- I always want to do the plans perfectly and cross every item off the list and then it always seems to fizzle out and I get disappointed.
I agree with Jane, I like what AuntJamelle wisely said, "Something is better than nothing."Annie

I too think something is better than nothing. The concept that everything has to be "completed fully" needs to go out the window. lol

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Annie, the only failure with HGP is not doing a single thing toward your goal of having a peaceful and stress free holiday surrounded by those your love. And that failure is to yourself. No one else cares if the cookies were baked or store bought, but we do. No one else cares if we hand made all these decorations, but we know the love and effort put into each one. We do it for ourselves because we have such a deep compassion for the spirit of Christmas and our families.

I too have felt the disappointment of not having every tiny little thing done when life got in my way of HGP. All that changed when my youngest son was in a critical motorcycle accident in November, right in the middle of my HGP. My home, my decorations, my menu's nor gifts meant anything suddenly. My whole life are those I love. If they aren't in it then what's the point of decorations, menu's or gifts. Thankfully, I'd had HGP because even with the unforeseen accident I was far more ready than most of my friends and family who were just getting started on Black Friday.

December 2010 he and I were together when a constuction truck broadsided us on our way home from Christmas shopping. I was finished my shopping, but was helping him pick out a gift. The majority was already on track and done thanks to HGP so I didn't have that horrible stress on top of my injuries.

Last year we lost my MIL a week before Thanksgiving. I had followed HGP faithfully during August and September then began caring for her until she passed away. I was okay when I realized that I had still done more to prepare for my holidays than 90% of the people I knew who were just running out to buy a turkey.

You see, life is what's really important here and we shouldn't work LIFE around HGP but HGP around what is really important, LIFE. It's a simple and wonderful guideline to help keep us focused and a great reminder for those often overlooked details but it is not meant to take over our lives in any way.

You'll find out what works best for you and we'll be right there to cheer you on whether you get your cards mailed on November 30th or December 20th. If your binder is a spiral notebook or a scrapbooking masterpiece we'll still be so proud that you made the time to organize your holidays. If your home decor rivals Biltmore Estates or simply showcases special touches of Christmas here and there we'll still think it's absolutely georgeous.

Understand, it's not about a spotless house, a Martha Stewart showcase or meals fit for a king. It's about you! If you are happy, relaxed and enjoying your holidays then it's a PERFECT Christmas.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Everyone made some wonderful points. What's important is deciding what you want to accomplish this holiday and allotting time to get it done. I have no desire to clean my China and pick serving pieces. I use the same stuff I always use however it would be nice to spread out my food gifts. Some things could be done in the evening others need a weekend. The best thing is, its your plan to do with it as you see fit.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Like all of you my life has changed from year to year and so how I do the HGP changes each year. This year as I will be working 60 hours a week most weeks more than likely I will do as much as I can on the weekend. And since I'm an earlybird maybe early in the morning now that the kids are gone I don't have anyone to disturb because my husband Is also an early bird.

Farmerswife

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Ejagno, love your post. I too work on all housechores, be it HGP or other, on weekends. With all the decluttering happening this year, it should be much quicker to keep things clean :)

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Love everyone's input!!! My curiosity is always to how everyone works plans out. Even weekly household chores. I like to see what others do to make it work because we are all so busy. And others ways of scheduling may be helpful to another member.

I absolutly do know what is important in this world and what the holidays mean. For the newcomers to MHH, I am a cancer survivor. Was diagnosed in October, 2009. Was healing from surgery and going through radiation during that holiday season. I even had a radiation treatment on Christmas Eve!

The last three holiday season's have had crazy Life things going on! Being prepared early is what helped to handle all of that and still feel the Magic of the Season!

XOXO
Annie

Woman

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Fallsington, Pa
question HGP Tasks

Annie Claus-I too am a cancer survivor-twice-in 2005 had both breast removed-then last year in November I had a hysterctomy so I had to let the family do all of the Christmas tasks of decorating-wasn't able to bake my cookies-most gifts for adults were gift certificates-thank goodness I had already bought for the grandchildren-our Christmas was nice but I love Christmas so for me it was hard to just set around and let everyone else do the fun stuff-my health is great so I am very thankful and this year I have already gotten some of the stuff I need but I have my lists made and plan to get going here-and by the end of the month hope to have everything under control-hope all is well with you and you have a wonderful holiday-woman

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Annie Claus-I too am a cancer survivor-twice-in 2005 had both breast removed-then last year in November I had a hysterctomy
You certainly are a very strong woman.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Woman- What an awesome story! Going through it once was hard enough, but twice! WOW!

Ahorsesoul- Yes, a beautiful gift. And I'm appreciative of the Radiation/Chemo staff, techs, nurses, doctors that are there day in and day out to give us our treatments even while most other people are celebrating holidays.

Annie

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Annie & Woman, you both are living examples of Christmas miracles.

Annie, I was in no way implying that you didn't have your priorities straight. It was a reminder to all of us who stress over "Perfection" to remember that if your so busy struggling to keep up with any plan then you are forgetting the whole purpose of the plan which is living and enjoying life to it's fullest during a stress free Christmas. I'm so guilty of it at some point and time every year when we begin our plans.

I scheduled Christmas pictures one year and freaked out when they had to be changed twice. There was no point in freaking out because MY "perfect" picture session wasn't perfect for everyone else. I'd scheduled it too far in advance and when the time rolled around they forgot or their schedule had changed and they had to work. It created hurt feelings and upset everyone. That is the last thing I'd planned for my Christmas holidays. I was so busy trying to stick to MY plan without being forgiving and flexible that I ruined my own holidays by alienating the very ones that I wanted to impress and I was miserable because my expectations were very unreasonable.

When you are dealing with LIFE, plan to expect change because that is the only constant.