Saturday Dinner 1.30.10

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Good day!

What's cooking at your house today? I'm making Wedding Soup for dinner tonight. I'm also going to make an angel food cake for dinner tomorrow. My brother and his gf are coming over so we'll have angel food with strawberries and cream on top for dessert.

Blessings,
Lisa

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
We're snowed in this weekend. I'm working on a big pot of baked potato soup and have brownies in the oven for dessert.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I had to laugh because last night DH and I bought all the fixin's for Beef Carnitas (YUMMY) and when we got to my apartment, there was a note from my dad that playfully said he had spent a lot of time cleaning my stove and oven for the move out and I was not to use it. LOL But, we are making the beef carnitas and I have brownies to make as well. If anyone would like the recipe for the carnitas let me know. I found the recipe in the Cooking Light magazine and it is just wonderful!

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Wow Belles you have really out did yourself. All the food sounds so good. I love the potato soup but unfortunately DH doesn't.

I am thinking about making some Homemade Chicken Pot Pie.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Here is the beef carnita recipe. It is so good! If you have guys eating it double the recipe - trust me!

Beef Carnitas

Cooking Spray
1 chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 pounds beef stew meat, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup less-sodium beef broth
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 large unpeeled orange wedge

(I have excluded the orange wedge in the first two versions I did and all was fine. I have also always added about a teaspoon of tomato paste - no more or it will start to taste like beef stew)

1. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; saute 4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute. Add beef; saute 5 minutes or until beef is browned on all sides. Stir in broth, sugar, salt and pepper; nestle orange section into beef mixture. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender. Remove and discard orange. Continue simmering, uncovered, 8 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates, stirring frequently. Yield is 4 cups of meat.

TRADITIONAL TOPPINGS

Carnitas are about the meat, first and foremost, but the toppings deserve some consideration, too. Purists insist on fresh lime juice, chopped white onion, diced fresh avocado and fresh cilantro. For more embelleshment, try a dollop of guacamole, crumbled queso fresco, and pico de gallo. Finish with chipolte salsa or salsa verde adn wrap in a warm tortilla.

Personally I like the traditional toppings. If you make it let me know what you think!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
DS will be working. DD & DH will be going to MIL's. I'll be having something with smoked salmon.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Kim- The recipe sounds good! AND I have beef stew meat in the feezer. TFS!!

I am actually COOKING real food tonight!! Yippee!!!

I'm roasting a turkey breast (since the 1st one came out so delectable)
and I'll bake a potato, and have green beans and cranberry sauce.

Real food, here I come!! LOL!

Annie

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Uh-I don't know yet! it depends on if we can get out to get to the store..DH did the grocery shopping yesterday, and well...we need some things. So we're going to try to get out to get some meat for tonight and tomorrow. It all sounds pretty good! If we can't get out, I do have stuff for potato soup for DH and mock potato soup (using cauliflower instead of potatoes) for me. The kids can eat hotdogs or leftover chili, which I ended up doing last night (again).

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We were supposed to have Pork Chops and Scalloped Potatoes (recipe was on Lisa's blog), but I forgot to set out the pork chops so they are frozen. We'll probably end up eating out...again.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Roasted pork loin, baked potato for DH, roasted veggies-zucchinin, yellow squash, bell peppers (red, yellow and green), onions and mushrooms drizzled with EVOO and salt and pepper, salad and some kind of bread for DH and the boys.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
We usually go out to dinner on Saturday night, but since we couldn't get out tonight I made some impromptu nachos with leftover taco meat.

Not fabulous but we'll have a big dessert:)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I made a pizza with green chiles and canadian bacon. It was super yummy!