September 27th - Master Bathroom/Linen Closet

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Berta

MHH Member
Dec 30, 2007
Need to clean out and organize my linen closet & vanity. I'd like to deep clean the doors...the previous owners used hair spray near the door, and its visible when the light hits it just right. Any tips would be appreciated! My greatest find is the clorox bleach pen...I just use it on the grout while in the shower in the morning and let it sit. The next day, I just rinse the tile down durng my shower...so much easier than in the past!

Chinook Girl

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
For semigloss painted walls, mix one part rubbing alcohol to two parts water with a drop or two of dishwashing liquid in a spray bottle, lightly mist the wall, let sit for a minute, spray again, then wipe with a dry cloth, then wipe again with a slightly damp cloth. Depending on what kind of door, test on the back to make sure it won't damage anything.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
[] Clean outside windows on ground floor
[] Dust (properly) living room and hall/stairs/landing
[] Dust living room blinds
[] Brush ceilings and behind pictures in both areas
[] Hoover to skirtings in both rooms and master bedroom
[x] Polish stair rail
[] Clean inside windows in both rooms
[] Dust and polish bedroom furniture
[x] Organise jewellery box
[x] Tidy off dressing table - halfway done
[] Clean and dust inside wardrobes
[] Sort out bathroom cabinet
[x] Deep clean master bathroom (not too bad as DH keeps it reasonably sparkling normally)
[x] Wash shower screen on downstairs shower
[x] Wash shower screen on bath
[] Empty out top of linen closet, sort, put linens rarely used into attic
[x] Continue sorting through old baby things, and put equipment, toys, clothes no longer needed into collection for donation to family and/or charity (or dumping if no longer reuseable)
[xx] File paperwork basket - well, utilities are all filed for past 18 months (oops!), and insurances and bank accounts are sorted into correct groups and date order ready for their (seperate) files over the weekend or another quiet night in front of tv

[x] Update budget spreadsheet
[x] Update Christmas gift list and Christmas budget
[] Start Cards database - well, at least I've filled them in to my notebook
[] Get the few addresses I need from MIL and Mum, and check on new additions to cousin's families
[x] Write 10 cards from last of old cards
[] BUY new cards - need about 20
[] Remind DH about making cards for couple of special folks (using photo of DD) - HIS project

[] Rip back and reknit (correctly) sleeve for cardigan for Baby boy (friend's baby)
[] Sew in tails on 8 facecloths already knit
[] Sew in tails on DD scarf (already knit)
[xxxx] Make progress on DH's scarf (work lunchtimes project)

[] Look for fabrics for bedroom curtains and headboard - still looking, reckon this is a "post-Christmas" project at this stage
[] Look for fabric for bathroom blind
[] Look for new towels to go with new bathroom colour scheme
[x] Look for new bath mat for downstairs shower
[x] Do a proper check on DD's wardrobe to make sure all winter needs are there, list any outstanding needs (I think I still have to get half a "good" outfit - nice trousers or a skirt, and I think the underwear and pyjamas drawers need attention too)

[x] Organise meals for week - using freezer stocks: Have planned meals for next 3 weeks so should use up a lot of older stocks
[xx] Put some fresh meals in freezer - 2x2person and 1x1person portions of spag bol and 3x1pers portions of courgette soup
[] Cover pumpkins on allotment with fleece as first frosts are due
[x] Pod and freeze large bag of borlotti beans

Last edited:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Wow -- our goals for the week are really individual, aren't they? And we are all here together, cheering each other on!

The master bathroom and linen closet - not so bad. We installed the new shower curtain (o;d one was ripped) and got rid of the old curtain liner -- which had some spots of mold). A pristine one is in place now.

Every closet turns into somewhat of a black hole for us. So -- a brave attack will get things in better shape.

This week, I am beginning anew on the Master Bedroom.

And, I REALLY want to do some Christmassy things (like work on cards).

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanks for the tip on the chlorox bleach pen. I'll have to get one.

Dakotasmamaw

Retire Member
Ok, should be out of the kitchen by tonight, so I can MOVE ON !!

This one for me is MY bathroom, since that is the hall bathroom

Just clean really well, walls and door
Repaint vanity
reorganize vanity
wash shower curtain and window curtain
Buy new floor and toilet mats

and the 1/2 bath in the foyer

Clean walls and door
reorganize vanity
new towels
New liquid soap
Clean rest really well

Linen Closet

Just reorganize and get rid of worn out items

Foyer Closet

reorganize, and get rid of non used items in past year

Nothing really on my Christmasy lists yet.. I absolutely need to work on my house first. not getting to get my spring cleaning done has really taken a toll on me.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Wow, I never posted my plans. :eek:

Cleaning

[ ] organize floor area of linen closet
[x] clean tub, toilet, sink
[x] scrub tile
[x] sweep and mop floor
[x] organize medicine cabinet and cabinet under the sink
[x] put up autumn-color linens
[ ] get loose tiles replaced (call rental office)
[x] wipe down walls

Holiday Prep

[ ] purchase more non-perishable items for holiday meals. This also includes baking ingredients
[ ] purchase more Christmas gifts from list
[ ] work on homemade gifts
[ ] look for new holiday movies to add to my collection

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I"m actually in really good shape in this room. I deep cleaned it not too long ago..I just tidied it up, swept the floor and cleaned the fixtures. I really need to mop in there and pick up new batteries for the shower cleaner thingie (automatically sprays cleaner..nice! Works like a charm!!). I wanted to paint the cabinetry and get new bath mats, etc, but that's not in the budget right now, much bigger priorities so I guess I can go back to the master bedroom! I did a little in there, but still need to clear off the love seat and the dresser, dust and vacuum, and be done!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I like doing the small rooms on HGP! It seems alot less intimidating!!!

Here is my list! I may not get to eveything this week, but I'm going to do as much as I can!

[ ] Wash, dry and “wax” curtain rod (rub with piece of waxed paper to get rings to slide more easily - it really works!)
[ ] Use Magic Erases on any marks on the ceiling
[ ] Wipe/Scrub dust off of ceiling fan vents
[ ] Take down pictures, Windex, set aside
[ ] Dust ceiling corners/top of doorway/top of cabinet, lights and mirror frame
[ ] Wash down the walls with soapy water and soft rags, buff dry as needed (special attention to spots above sink lights, top of mirror frame and doorframe)
[ ] Hang pictures back up
[ ] Empty both cabinets
[ ] Wipe out empty cabinets
[ ] Sort items to be kept, throw away expired, replace items as desired
[ ] Clean sink/toilet
[ ] Windex mirror
[ ] Clorox light switches
[ ] Wipe down space where toilet paper roll goes, and baseboards
[ ] Sweep and wash floor
[ ] Wipe out trash can, put in fresh bag
[ ] Fill up soap dispenser
[ ] Spray tub and shower walls with CLR and let sit while elsewhere
[ ] Re-spray tub/shower with CLR as needed
[ ] Rinse shower/Spot scrub as needed/Remember top and underneath shelves in shower
[ ] Replace shower liner and install new plastic loops instead of metal hooks (the hooks may be prettier but they catch on each other and are a general pain in the rear - this is a good time to just go ahead and get rid of them!)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Okay - all I got done last night was cleaning out and straigtening both cupboards in the bathroom.

I hunted all over the house for the step ladder so I could clean the vent/light in the room and couldn't find the ladder anywhere.

DH found it for me in the garage when he got home - he'd taken it out there and forgotten.

Ah well, tonight I am meeting girlfriends for dinner right after work but I hope to work on at least deep cleaning the tub/shower tonight since the cleaner does most of the work!!! :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Linen cupboard has been done. It did not take as long as I thought. I donated a whole bunch of stuff earlier in the year to people who were affected by bush fires, so I don't have a whole lot left that is not been used. Will have to wash and put winter blankets away and pull out summer bedding. Now onto the bathroom.....

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I am making some progress, although the major sorting of the linen closet will wait for the weekend. But smaller tasks are getting tackled, and I have made some progress on DH's scarf. But crafting at home has gone sadly awry the past few weeks - I need to get back to it.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Sinus infection hit me mid week - curtailing any efforts at doing the HGP in the bathroom!

:(

I am going to try and work on it over the weekend. However DMIL is in the hospital and we are watching DLittleBIL for most of the day on Saturday, so it may not happen.

If nothing else, I'll just catch up next week. Ca Serra, Serra!!!

:)

I have been working on my Master Groc List and on my Christmas Cards - so I feel like I've made SOME progress.

And I got some boxes in from LTD and tucked away items in the gift closet. Woo-hoo!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just remember anything done now reduces the amount to do later.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Having the flu made this week kind of a wash. However, for the last few days, I have been able to get a lot of paper clutter OutTheDoor! That can be done while physically resting! And - you're not diverted by being outside in the beautiful fall weather!

Today should be another good day for that -- since dh has a date to play golf. Dh...... is that the same dh with the bad knee, you may ask? Yes.... the same one. I know it is insane to play golf with that bad knee. HE knows it too. So -- I haven't pointed it out. At least, he has enjoyed the last week of looking forward to golf.

Men are NOt women. We love them. But they do not think the way we do. (InMyHumbleOpinion!)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Okay, not as much to report as I'd hoped! Ah, well...

Did get the light/vent cleaned and that looks GREAT!

Then one of the lightbulbs in the fancy wall mount lights promptly burned out - so I need to get DH to help me with that! lol

I just managed to get normal bathroom cleaning done this weekend in between all the other things going on.

Sunday I was having twinges and aches and pains pretty badly - "junior" is taking turns where he "sits".

Either he is on my bladder or he is taking shots at my - and I am going to spell this phoenetically - sack-ra-lili-ak - probably still typing it wrong but you get the idea.

This has already happened once before in the pregnancy and it wasn't fun then - it hasn't happened full force this time yet - just twinges and enough discomfort to keep me from being active yesterday.

I think I overdid it on Saturday - we did alot of running around!

So this week I hope to catch up on HGP in the bathroom - but we'll see!