September Turkey Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

supermom315

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Deptford, NJ
I'm going to start this thread.

This Turkey day I'm working on my menu and going through the reviews of various "kid" movies to decide what we are watching after dinner this year.

HAGN
Tina

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
I think I will look for ideas for centerpieces. I tend to wait for the last minute and it adds too much stress. I don't know what I will have for dinner on Turkey day. Last month I had turkey breast and DH loved it. I'll have to think about it...

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
We are doing things a little different this year. People will be bringing a dish that is loved my all. I was asked to make the crab dressing and the dinner rolls. This is great that way no one person has to spend days/hours in the kitchen preparing an entire meal.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I am in Canada as well and this is the last Turkey Day before our Thanksgiving. I better get my butt in gear!! I wanted to find some new recipes to try - better get moving!!

Melanie

supermom315

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Deptford, NJ
I like to plan my dinner early for two reasons; 1) it's the ONLY holiday meal I make and 2) I like to take advantage of all the sales at this time of year.

Last year I was able to get TWO (yes 2) FREE turkeys from 2 of the stores I shop at and I'm hoping this year they will do the same thing !!! One had a spend a certain amount of money on Kraft products get a free turkey and the other was spend $350 in a month to get a free turkey, both of which are easy for me with my mini army...LOL

Tina

Last edited:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Yummy! I LOVE Thanksgiving. I love th leftovers! I love it that "pie" finally gets the respect it deserves! I love the "no stress" aspects of Thanksgiving -- no worry about gifts. Just people getting together to eat wonderful food!!!

We have little things that make things extra nice. Lots of vegetarians/vegans here. There is a Chinese - Buddist restaurant near us (all vegetarian all the time) that does an INCREDIBLE turkey feast for four for $50. We got that one year (as a supplement to the turkey-turkey and gravy) -- and it was so delicious! I must order in advance (not to mention saving the money in advance) -- and arrange for pickup. (I THINK they stay open on Thanksgiving Day).

Then the pies. Aaahhhhh. Lots of careful thought about the kind of pie. AND -- should I save the extra money and get pies from a bakery? MrsSmith's frozen pies are awfully good!!!! AND -- only vanilla (frozen soy youghurt) to go with? Or some of the fabulous chocolate versions?

Then...... will we be hosting the weekend-after-Thanksgiving-brunch? Lot of saving up for that!!!!!

holidaymama

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
It's hard for us to plan as I am sure we will be going to family...just not sure which one yet! My parents are coming, so i should plan a nice dinner for just my kids, hubby, and them.

But as far as Thanksgiving is concerned, I am ALWAYS in charge of dessert, so I should start thinking of that! I will need a big WOWer

supermom315

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Deptford, NJ
Hearing all of you talk about an outside Thanksgiving feast is making me think........ Can I pull that off this year here in NJ????

It would make things even easier for me because I can get teh Thanksgiving themed paperware & just toss it in the trash! The only problem is it's in NOVEMBER for us & usually is either cold or rainy and I don't have a covered proch or a gazebo like my neighbors.

Now my brain is working overtime....thinking how to simplify everything even more than it already is........

HAGD
Tina

ChristmasCheerSpredr

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
owosso michigan
I can't wait, I am blessed to be hosting Thanksgiving again this year! HOORAY ! ! ! I have been thinking about my menu. I will do traditional again but want to add a couple of new things this year. I am lucky to have my second kitchen (summer kitchen) that I can use to bake lots of stuff at the same time. I love how the house fills with my family and friends and how the house smells with good stuff being cooked. Just the entire thing. AND I love going through the ads at the table with everyone for Friday! ! !

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I can't wait, I am blessed to be hosting Thanksgiving again this year! HOORAY ! ! ! I have been thinking about my menu. I will do traditional again but want to add a couple of new things this year. I am lucky to have my second kitchen (summer kitchen) that I can use to bake lots of stuff at the same time. I love how the house fills with my family and friends and how the house smells with good stuff being cooked. Just the entire thing. AND I love going through the ads at the table with everyone for Friday! ! !

We just finished our second (summer) kitchen today and I was so busy thinking about using it in the summer when it is hot and for canning that I didn't even think about using it for extra holiday cooking. I must be tired. Thanks for the reminder!!

Melanie

printersdevil

Retire Member
Sep 19, 2008
playingdishes.blogspot.com
We usually have mild weather at Thanksgiving, so we do extend to the back porch. I am looking forward to getting to use this area more this year since we screened it in and it has a long table and couch, loveseat, chairs and bar area.

On a little early note for September Turkey Day, I was in a local Goodwill last week looking for Boo Bash stuff when I spotted a ceramic turkey that was exactly like the one that I gave to my little sister. My older sister used to have a ceramic business and sold these gorgous turkeys and pilgrims. I had the large turkey and candleholders and gave my new set to my younger sis when she and her ex hubby bought a new home. We were having Thanksgiving with them that first year. My older sister was sick and not doing ceramics at the time so that she couldn't make her one. I thought I would get one sometime later on, but sis was unable to go back to painting, so I was left out. When my DMIL passed, I acquired her smaller version of the turkey and candleholders. It is exactly the same, but just smaller. I always wished I had the big one. Then there it was in Goodwill. There is no doubt that it is one of my sister's because the colors are identical. I grabbed it up so fast. It was $6, which is a little high for me for something like that in GW, but she sold the sets for something like $60! I am so happy to have it and will proudly show it off this Turkey Day.

rjsmum

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
North Carolina
That is so awesome that you found the turkey set at GW. $6 sounds like agood deal.
I hope to find a turkey breast on sale here for turkey day.
I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Printersdevil that is great that you found something made by your sister.

Here in Maryland, we usually have fairly nice weather on Thanksgiving - during the day at least.

Oh my (off topic)! While typing this post I just saw on the news that it's snowing in Denver.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Well, my inlaws haven't decided WHO is hosting T-day this year! We've volunteered (so much easier to be home, especially since we're the only ones with little ones), but MIL can't decide where she wants to be...she just doesn't want to cook. HELP! How do you all deal with family that refuses to plan more than 3 days in advance of any holiday? I am a planner - leaving things until the last minute just makes me anxious!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Well, my inlaws haven't decided WHO is hosting T-day this year! We've volunteered (so much easier to be home, especially since we're the only ones with little ones), but MIL can't decide where she wants to be...she just doesn't want to cook. HELP! How do you all deal with family that refuses to plan more than 3 days in advance of any holiday? I am a planner - leaving things until the last minute just makes me anxious!

OK, I am probably going to come off sounding like a real B***H, but I am going to say it anyway. Tell them that they have to decide by a certain date and NO later what their plans are going to be. You choose the date. If they have not decided by that date, make your own plans and stick to them. I have had to deal with this in the past and it sucks.

Hope this helps

Melanie - who really is a nice person - honest!!