Shopping Year Round

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
I love getting really nice gifts after Christmas during the SALES! I find wonderful goodies to save for birthday & Christmas presents. Sometimes I find neat gift items during the Spring & Summer that just aren't available as it get closer to Christmas. What about you... do you shop year round for gifts? Do you only buy with a recipient in mind or do you buy & then figure out who its for later? Please share any thoughts that help you get those great gifts! I'll list a few gifts that I like to shop early for & are well liked.

Holiday Kitchen towels & Hand towels - great for coworkers, teachers, neighbors, hairstylist (could add nice soaps or candles w/towels).

Holiday Mugs & Kitchenware - great for Hostess gifts & thoses listed above. I've noticed a big selection at great prices at discount type stores (Ross, TJ Maxx) in October. Then check Target, Pier 1 & the like after Christmas.

Slippers, fuzzy socks & holiday socks - great for girls of all ages plus guys like slippers too. I scored big mid-January on slippers at 60-70% off last January.

Hallmark ornaments - I LOVE these & think they are great for kids & anyone else you can think of.

Books - Like to get these ahead for birthdays that slip up on me. I'm always checking the bargain books at Barnes&Nobles & Waldens. The selection is much better some months than others.

I haven't done any gift shopping for 2008, but hope to find some goodies during a shopping trip this week! Often I buy with someone in mind, but sometimes I could use an extra of a certain item. I want to avoid having so much shopping to do in November/December & wonder how others plan ahead!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
I will pick things up here and there when I see something at a really great price. But due to some things changeing I would like to have 90% of my Christmas shopping done by the end of the summer. The exception will be for my kids. They grow so much from Sept to Dec it isn't even funny anymore plus their intersts change so much all of the time. It's hard to buy for them before November for Christmas.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Some great ideas, appleton! Sometimes I'll see a great deal on something but will hold off buying it because I can't think of a recipient -- you've given me a list to consider now.

Usually when I end up buying things without a recipient in mind, they stay in storage for a while until I clear them out for a garage sale or Goodwill donation. Last year, I shopped year-round for holiday and seasonal themed socks. I was able to give my sisters baskets of the cutest socks for every holiday and season -- over a dozen pairs each.

This year, I'm shopping year round for dishtowels/potholders to correspond with Holiday-themed table runners I'm planning to make.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Alot of my family really set ALOT of stuff out in their yards during the summer, have alot of flowers, windchimes, feed birds etc.... So I like to try and watch for these types of items when they go on sale.

MissyToes

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Scored BIG time today! Michael's wrapping paper 39 cents, all $1 Christmasy things 39 cents, AND KB toys which is closing here (and next door to Michael's) is ALL 50-60% off of EVERYTHING and they have TONS of great stuff! :lucky:

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I buy some items knowing the recipient, but if I find a great deal on something fairly generic I'll buy it. There will always be co-workers or acquaintances to buy for...maybe even a secret Santa, where the items will come in handy. Last year I bought some holly hobby tea-for-one teapots where the teapot sits right in the cup for 75% off. I didn't know who I'd be giving them too, but I found use for them all, and they were all very well received.

cipalla

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
PA
I usually have someone in mind, but I have found that there were other people that the gift would fit too. So, if I find a super great deal, I may buy several. And I always go to the clearance isles in every store...you never know what great item you might find.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I like the idea of buying socks through out the year. As well as hand towels, washrags, dish clothes. Could pck up candles through the year. All kinds of generic things that alone or combined would make nice gifts.

There are some great ideas here.

JayOkie

Retire Member
Oct 19, 2007
NE Oklahoma
I shop the after-Christmas sales for (mostly) generic gift ideas. As has been stated, combining several items (hand towels, pot holders, and a knick-knack, for example) makes a nice gift. My gift closet is running over, but I have several gifts already completed for 08. Inexpensive place mats & holiday s/p sets can be combined, or use s/p sets as the knick-knack with the kitchen towels. Inexpensive vinyl place mats work in here nicely, too. I don't like the vinyl smell, so I spray with Fabreeze & let them air several days before storing. Another gift I've done, and may repeat for someone this year, is putting each family member's name on an ornament, either all ornaments the same color or different - you decide.

I need to pick up some things for young children 'just in case' as one of the kids brought (unannounced) a friend w/child. Having something to give them make me feel good, they didn't feel left out (especially the small child). Just never know when a grandchild might do the same :grin:

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
I'm always checking the clearance aisles! I love creating gift baskets for all sorts of occaisions. (Birthdays, anniversaries, christmas, baby showers... etc.) It's inexpensive as long as you have an idea going in. You can always buy books that you know are good to share with friends. Ex: Cesar Millan books for a new dog owner, Deanna Favre's book don't bet against me (good for any girlfriend, someone going through cancer, anyone!) The best part of shopping year round is knowing that mid summer when we have everything hit at once I'm ready! The goal this year is to get ready early for Christmas so that should my husband end up switching jobs again, I'll be breezing through it....

oimom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Savannah GA
I always did this when I was working I hope my disability claim gets approved in March.I'll get a nice retro check and can shop well.Including a trip to Rome for Momma :) My dad was grill king I often bought him things during summer discount.

santashelper

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
NS,CAN.
I just got a few things on clearance that can be used as kids gifts.

At Michael's they had their smelly colored pencils on for $1.99. The were regularly almost $7. At Superstore they had these neat little bags with a Froot Loops or Rice Crispies cook book in them and the utensils needed for the recipes. In the Froot Loop on it had some measuring cups and something else (can't remember) and in the Rice Crispies one it had a small square container for making the squares, a large mixing bowl and something else (can't remember). They were regularly $15 and I got them for just under $7! They are still hiding in the back of my van because I didn't want the kids to see them.

I figured these would be great for anytime kids for almost any age or gender!

Now I just need to get organized and make a list of what I have, what kind of gift basket they would be good in and what else I might put in that gift basket and who the gift would be good for.

I love getting things on sale!!

odd_duck71

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
the funny farm
Ooooo....great tips ladies, thanks! Now I'm wondering if my niece would like a sock basket and if SIL would like a kitchen towel basket. They did a bath basket for me this year that was fabo.

You've also inspired me to start doing a bit of pre-buying for a gift swap I do on another board. We get a new person to send to each season, but there are enough things that lots of us like (pirates, octopi, Hello Kitty, scented candles) that box stuffer type giftees would be pretty safe purchases.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Today I went to a toy store and they had sales. Bought Simpson's chess game for my ds 14 - 50% off (it was in a metal box with a slight dent but he's gonna make some anyways! - 23 instead of 46$), bought a keychain with an "annoying thing"... it's a blue bug and that's its name .19¢ and 1 playmobil character for my nephew 50% off to add to his easter gift.

cipalla

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
PA
Forgot about this one until today....When my sons bring home their scholastic book order forms I usually buy several of the .95 cent books. They are great for gifts, to put in baskets, to donate! Don't forget about them, they are cheap, and kids need to read more. :leprechaun:

Petal

MHH Member
Mar 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
I LOVE to shop year-round in order to take advantage of great deals! I honestly don't do very much brick&mortar shopping as I lose my focus as soon as I walk into the store, but if I do find some clearace items I like, then I'll pick them up.

My favorite place to shop is Amazon.com, I am always on the lookout for their amazing deals on toys, tools and kitchen items. They usually have a great toy sale with 70% off a few times a year. I consider it a challenge to try and find a clearance sale + free shipping.

I don't usually shop by recipient, but I've never had a problem matching up the things in my gift closet with those on my gift list. Whatever I do have left with toys gets donated to Toys for Tots.
:package:

welshbabe

Retire Member
Dec 29, 2007
I've decided on a theme for this yrs gifts (birthday and Xmas).

I've been buying bargains off the net - but on a chocolate/ candy theme - dishes with choc pics on, chocolate and candy cane pendants, chocolate bean (smarties) jigsaws and lunchboxes. Even a Liqorice allsort bag and paperweight. Plus packs of interesting notelets with sweet pictures on.

Also this yr am buying nice reusable shopping bags for people as we are trying (in UK) to do away with the horrid throw away plastic ones.

jingle-jo

Retire Member
Feb 13, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
I have started to shop savvy! I now know when all of my favourite stores have their sales and have even pin pointed the times down when they reduce the sale stock to 75% off! I always buy things and then allocate them to a recipient once they are in my gift closet! I have all my family and friend birthday presents for 2008 and most of my christmas gifts.

I don't buy my childrens Christmas presents until they have completed their letters to santa, I have established that they only want the presents on their lists and generally ignore any extra presents I have got them in the past! This means once the list is drawn up I can get the gifts in one shopping spree with money I have put aside during the rest of the year! I set a budget and stick to it! I always try to take them somewhere special for a few days the week before Christmas! This year I am planning to take them to Disneyland Paris for a long weekend! :haha: