Snow Days...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
I was wondering what you all do on Snow Days to make them extra special. In our house Snow Days are special party days. DS8 wakes up to pancakes, DH comes in from snowblowing to real home made hot chocolate, and we create a complete home made day. Soup for lunch, games, crafts, and homemade bread cookies etc... The whole day we look up vacation places online and enjoy things. What do you do???

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Creativemom - It sounds like a wonderful day! I am especially interested in the part about looking up vacation places online all day. Is that for an overnight getaway? Or for a special vacation? Or is it just dreaming? Any of the above would be delightful. :bigsnow:

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Creativemom, I want to spend a snow day at YOUR house! :bigsnow:

We live in more of a desert climate, so we don't really get many snow days when schools are cancelled and people don't have to report to work. But we have had one so far this year! Yay!
I wake up the kids and the younger ones wrap up in layers of snow gear to play outside. e have to play in it when we get it, because it never sticks around for longer than two or three days.
I'll usually make bread and home made soup or chili, or maybe some cookies. We open all the curtains, turn on the gas fireplace and watch the snow fall. Or sometimes we just all climb back into bed for a couple of hours!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Creativemom, your snow days do sound fun. When we have snow days my husband and I still have to go to work. Pray we make it down our road and then to work once on highways.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Creativemom, what a great way to make an already wonderful day that much more special!!

I always used to pop in my DVD of White Christmas and watch it in the earliest hours of a snow day. Something magical about watching that movie while the snow is falling.

I'm not currently working, and I have no children, so snow days aren't particularly exciting for me anymore. However, I get up at 5:45 to make my husbands coffee and breakfast and to ensure he doesn't sleep in. If the base is closed I love being able to go tell him he doesn't have to get up and go to work. He pretends he doesn't really care, but I can tell he's thrilled. He usually just sleeps in until noon and then toys around on his computer for the rest of the day.

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Gee we pray for snow here Haven't had any in at least 15 years. We get ice about every 3 or 4 years; and I love it I've rely been hoping to get some this year, but it isn't going to happen the spring flowers are blooming already

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Snow days whats that. Our schools very rarely close due to snow unless its coming down at 4 inches or more an hour and the city can't keep up with it. Or if we have alot of ice. My kids actually had their first snow day of the year last week. I had to work and dh didn't have to since he drives truck and the roads were terrible everywhere in the state so him and the kids kept warm inbetween shoveling and snowblowing.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
We've had 3 snow days this year, but 2 of them were delays in which I headed to work with ds (he goes to school where I teach) only to turn around and head back home again, so we don't do too much morning celebration. We do have cocoa, play outside, do some games and usually bake cookies.

Your day sounds great!

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
We have our share of snow days here in Boston. Our children (5,4,2) love to play in the snow and build snowmen and try to catch snowflakes. Another fun activity is to blow bubbles; they crystalizes and look beautiful on a cold/snowy day. Sledding and tobogganing is always great fun, followed by hot chocolate. In the evening, we usually have a fire in the fireplace, pop popcorn, roast hotdogs, in the fireplace, toast marshmallows and make s'mores. Then we round off the evening by playing charades by fire-light. Let it snow ....

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
If it's a snow day where I have off from work then I will also make breakfest, chocolate chip pancakes for the kids and either french toast or egg and sauage biscuit sanwhiches for us.

DD and I will go build a snowman, have a snow ball fight, make snow angels and if the roads are passable we will go sledding.

For dinner I will make either home made chili or cook a chicken or small turkey and make all the side dishes and a dessert (brownies or cookies if I make chili, a pie if I make a chicken or turkey)

We will also enjoy a couple movies (usually one will be a Christmas movie, LOL!)

Now if I have to work, then I will put a roast in the crockpot before I leave for work and will make biscuits and brownies when I get home from work.

That is the one reason I am glad I moved to Florida...lol NO MORE SNOW to shovel!!!

BUT I think since I am off next weekend I might make it a "SNOW DAY" at home. I can make some pancakes and cinnamon rolls for breakfast. We can have soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch. Watch a movie (I think I have the movie Snow Day on VHS somewhere) with popcorn or make rice krispie treats and sip on hot cocoa!!!

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
Today we have ICE. Very scary. Everything has been cancelled and or closed. I made french toast casserole, soups on, vegetables are roasting in the oven, and there are treats to make too!!! My son woke up and was thrilled because we read books, played a couple games and now we are on to a movie!! It's been fun so far!!! How are you all doing?

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
We ALMOST had a snow day today. There were emergency weather warnings -- and lots of advance cancellations. We ran out to buy more hot chocolate and whipped cream. And then - no snow. Nothing.....

However, it is cold. So I may have a "pretend" snow day today. Drinking cocoa -- and staying bundled up inside. There may not be any more snow this year. So I think I'll just enjoy an "almost" snow day today.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
sleeting here now and suppose to until tom. a.m. along with freezing rain. So guess I will go get ready and leave early. SURE wish I didn't have to get out. If it gets real bad they do start sending the people who live out of town home! SO......