So what is your costume this year???

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I know not everyone dresses up, but for those who do, what are your plans this year?

Do you make your own?

Do you buy?

Do you ransack your closets and jewelry chests at the last minute to pull together outfits that can be turned into a costume?

Or can you share what costumes are planned for your little ones this year?

Do you dress up your dogs? Please share!!!

Even if you haven't made up your mind yet, tell us the top contenders!!!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I am going to be Malificent this year (from Sleeping Beauty). It is a store bought costume purchased after Halloween last year. I am making her staff though...complete with a crow sitting on top.

DS4 wanted to be Optimus Prime from the Transformers (also from the store - can you tell that Mommy can't sew? haha!)

DS6mos is going to be a Red-Eyed Tree Frog (at the request/insistence of DS4!) I have the costume, I just need to make the eyes red.

Last year I went as a pregnant skeleton...I painted bones on a black sweatsuit...it was a big hit (even if my painting skills leave much to be desired!)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
My friend is lending me a cow costume for DH, so I'm going as a farmer with my cow!! I've already got a scarcrow costume so I'll use that... just need to see if it still fits. I made it way back when.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
DD and I are going to be witches and DS is going to be a vampire. Eli is going to be a dinosaur. All are store bought costumes, however, I might alter mine a bit if I can think of ways to do it.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Witch here-just need to fing the costume. I'd love to find a more elegant hat and dress more like the Aunts in Practical magic(only black) but I'll have to see what I can find.
DS9 wants to be the wrestler Jeff Hardy-he has it all figured out! And DS5 is sticking with spiderman, store bought costume.

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
I'm thinking of being a fortune teller. I have the head scarf, blouse and jewelry but i need some kind of skirt or bottoms and i need to make a crystal ball. DD is thinking of being a gypsy or a pirate :)

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I wanted to be a swamp woman and I had planned on making my costume using lots of free green plant leaves to cover a dress and shoes, but I never got started on the costume. Time is running short so I will have to purchase my costume this year. I think I will be something from midevil times.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I'm going to be a gypsy. It is a sad commentary on my wardrobe that once again I am putting together my costume from things in my closet that I wear every day. I have a long black tiered shirt, a ruffled white blouse, tons of jewelry (natch) and a pair of flats. I need something easy to move in for the party because I still have hostess duties to attend to. I am going to buy a long black curly wig and put a scarf in my hair and one around my waist.

DH is going as Davy Crocket (the one with the coonskin cap...), Benjie will be an Indian and Jonah a football player. Jacob is STILL undecided. I'll update you later!

printersdevil

Retire Member
Sep 19, 2008
playingdishes.blogspot.com
Great ideas everyone. I love being a gypsy. I was that one year and it was my favorite Halloween. It is so comfortable and you get to be really quirky and kooky. My only problem is that I am allergic to most metals, so it is difficult for me to wear the necessary jewelry. Big hoop earrings are out and so are bangles for my wrist. What self respecting gypsy would be caught in public without jewelry!!!

I am going to the be Spell Spinner creature. I also need something sort of flowing and hopefully cool. I hope that everyone will post a link to photos. This is so exciting.

rjsmum

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
North Carolina
I was a gypsy last year! So much fun!
Our DS-8 will be a mummuy-we are creating.
DS-21 mos, will be a purchased puppy-dog.

We always dress-up every year as a family and group of friends. We are still finalizing the adult costumes! It is always so much fun!

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
I'll probably be dressed as Philadelphia Eagle Donovan McNabb unless the Phils are still in post season play (please, oh, please) in which case I will be dressed as Shane Victorino.

DD6 is all set with her witch costume and DD9 is dressing like her American Girl Doll Molly McIntyre.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Some may not find the humor in this, but I have a - well let's say - very twisted sense of humor sometimes - in any case, I'm going as a pregnant dog - which will poke some good natured fun at the pregnancy hormones my poor DH has had to endure.

And since I am feeling feisty, I plan to make myself a "Spay & Neuter Your Pets" T-Shirt – using white fabric paint on a plain black shirt. It’s all in good fun! I think DH and our friends we are going camping with will think it is hilarious…so I’ll get a laugh out of it before I re-snuggle up in the black coat or sweatshirt I will have to wear over it because of the cold!

I plan to find dog ears on a headband I can wear. Then I’ll make a collar with supplies from my craft room, probably using red felt as the base. I can glue on Velcro to the ends so I can fasten it. I want to make little dog tags, one to mimic a vaccination tag and one for a name tag – I thought I would go as “Cocoa” which was the name of my very first puppy when I was little.

Then I’ll do the face paint of course, the nose, the whiskers…

And I was thinking of cutting out paw print shapes from white felt and tacking them onto the palms of my black gloves…maybe also cutting out some “patches” in white and/or brown felt to be tacked onto my black sweatshirt? And I’ll be wearing black pants too.

If possible, I’d like to find a tail to wear – but I suppose I could always try to make one too…we’ll see…

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
AuntJamelle I love it! I love original costumes. Way to go!

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
Wow, Cathymac, that is so awesome! He was sure a star on Wednesday! I'm just hoping we'll get the chance to see more of him this post-season! :)

Aunt Jamelle, that's the most hilarious costume I've heard of! I love it!