St. Patrick's Day 2024

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Wondering if any of you celebrate St. Patrick's Day. If so, what are your plans for this year?

St. Patrick's Day in the Chicago area is a big thing. There are several "local" parades in the various Chicago-proper neighborhoods, and a big parade downtown. Some suburbs also host a parade, but not mine. When I lived in the City (proper), we had a large Irish population in our neighborhod, lots of police and firemen, along with other city workers. Residency was required, so we had a strong community. It's where my DH grew up and he worked for the City, which is why we selected that community + good schools, strong churches, ethics, values, and great public transportation nearby.

For many years, our South Side Irish Parade was bigger than the downtown parade, with lots of house parties, with family gathering to watch the parade and return home for a celebration. Some years, we began the day with Irish bagpipers playing at Sunday morning mass. My DBIL and (now ex-) DSIL lived doors from the parade route and hosted for many years. After they sold and moved, we took over the gathering of the clan, about 2 blocks from the parade route. Once I moved to the suburbs, I started hosting the Far, Far South Side Irish party, and we all take the pups for a walk around the neighborhood, dressed in our green, in lieu of an actual parade.

I'm planning on hosting it again this year, and including some extended family (so DD can see her cousins) and close friends. Need to get invites out this week.

I'll do it pot luck / "bring an appatizer or dish to pass". but will provide some of the main items.

The menu I'll provide will include --
  • Irish soda bread
  • corned beef and swiss cheese for sandwiches
  • assorted rye breads (seeded and non, light and maybe marbled)
  • condiments
  • potato salad
  • coleslaw (unless someone offers to bring it)
  • green fluff (made with pistachio pudding, crushed pineapple, and Cool Whip; may ask DD to provide)
  • veggie tray with dip (unless someone offers to provide)
  • possibly a layered taco dip and tortilla chips.

Beverages I'll provide will include:
  • iced tea
  • lemonade (maybe)
  • assorted pop/soda (though not a lot)
  • fixings for Irish Coffee
  • otherwise, BYO (beer, wine, other beverages)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
St Patrick's Day is not a big thing here. I think there is an Irish pub in town that goes all out but other than that it is pretty quiet. I don't think we will even see too many items in the shops.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
In NYC St. Patrick's day is a big deal and everyone, Irish or not, celebrates.

Obviously, my family and I are not Irish but we always had corned beef on St. Patrick's day and I have kept up the tradition no matter where I am and if it's only me and DH celebrating.

Our menu is:

Irish nachos - thinly sliced potatoes topped with Irish cheese or cheddar, scallions (green onion) and sour cream
Corned beef and cabbage
Colcannon
Soda bread

and the next day corned beef hash with an egg on top!

One year when I was in LA for St. Patrick's day I had a real hard time finding a corned beef. Several stores just stared at me. But, I finally found one and my friends and I had quite a festive meal.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Here we have a French community so St-Pat's day is not a big deal. But in the English community it is (I went to English school).
So I love decorating for St-Pat's day even if nothing else happens. There is also a pub in town with the green beer.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
We don't do big St. Patrick's day celebrations here.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
So, after posting this, I'm not sure if I'll host St. Pat's or not. Things in my realm have changed significantly in the last week, so St. Pat's weekend may be a packing party, instead of St. Pat's party. Lots of pans on the fire right now. Wish me luck!

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
I don’t really do anything just take valentines stuff off tree day after and decorate it for patty’s day. Day after I put Easter on the tabletop tree that stays up all year for all the holidays .

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
My sister always has a dinner on the Sunday closet to it. With Easter being so close may ask if she wants to combine them and we will go in half with her. Will see. Last year I bailed out on Easter so my family didn't get together. Well, my younger sister had mom over.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Wondering if any of you celebrate St. Patrick's Day. If so, what are your plans for this year?

St. Patrick's Day in the Chicago area is a big thing. There are several "local" parades in the various Chicago-proper neighborhoods, and a big parade downtown. Some suburbs also host a parade, but not mine. When I lived in the City (proper), we had a large Irish population in our neighborhod, lots of police and firemen, along with other city workers. Residency was required, so we had a strong community. It's where my DH grew up and he worked for the City, which is why we selected that community + good schools, strong churches, ethics, values, and great public transportation nearby.

For many years, our South Side Irish Parade was bigger than the downtown parade, with lots of house parties, with family gathering to watch the parade and return home for a celebration. Some years, we began the day with Irish bagpipers playing at Sunday morning mass. My DBIL and (now ex-) DSIL lived doors from the parade route and hosted for many years. After they sold and moved, we took over the gathering of the clan, about 2 blocks from the parade route. Once I moved to the suburbs, I started hosting the Far, Far South Side Irish party, and we all take the pups for a walk around the neighborhood, dressed in our green, in lieu of an actual parade.

I'm planning on hosting it again this year, and including some extended family (so DD can see her cousins) and close friends. Need to get invites out this week.
I wouldn't know what to do with myself, if I lived in a place that hosted a St. Patrick's Day party like that or had a friend who invited ME over. I 'm all alone over here in Colorado....celebrating by myself. LOL My friends will rotate every couple years and come over to have a "real" Irish dinner. Not sure it's real, but I try. Denver does have a HUGE St. Patrick's Day parade, but we haven't gone since my daughter was younger. If I'm honest, the hassle of parades is just something I've never enjoyed. BUT with that said, I really, really thought about going this year. Just crossed my mind for the first time in years as a possibility. Speaking of "fluff salad" I added that to my menu a couple years ago too. I had it for Christmas and thought "why do I not have this at St. Patrick's Day" so I did and to be honest, I love the sweetness with the salty of the corned beef. It's a great combo!!!

I'll also say, I really DISLIKE the years when St. Patrick's Day and Easter are back to back. I like time in between to decorate...spread out a big family meal and just pause in the season.

I've not invited anyone over yet this year, because I didn't know if I'd be home and things are crazy for me in march. But we'll see. Even if no one comes over, I will always.....ALWAYS...have a full corned beef and cabbage dinner with Irish soda bread, fluff salad and buttermilk pie. I won't be decorating because my house is absolutely corn apart from getting new floors and there won't be time in between that and other stuff going on.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
All St. Patrick's Day decor is out and everything is in place, with the exception of tablecloths -- one is for my kitchen table and I just haven't cleared the table enough to put it on (plus, I should probably iron it), and the other is for my dining table and I need assistance to open it up full length for the tablecloth to fit. Wreath is on the door and the garden flag will go out when I next walk the pup. Now to finalize date, time, and menu and extend the invite to friends and family to join our clan in a festive right of Spring.