Started my Christmas Ornament Journal!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
While putting away ornaments yesterday, I realized again that I need to write down what is special about several ornaments on our tree. We have several from my parents' first Christmas together, some from my very first Christmas, from our wedding year, some ornaments in memory of people who have passed on, etc. I know this information, but my kids may forget some day and see them as just 'old ornaments'. So I just finished writing a description and what is special about these ornaments and will keep a copy in the ornament boxes as well as in my Christmas notebook. Maybe my DS14 would take photos of the ornaments to add to the documents with his new camera!

I also just finished writing down which ornaments my children have gotten for which Christmasses. We buy each child an ornament every Christmas, like many of you do, but I haven't kept a running journal of whose ornaments are whose. Now I have a journal to add to each year! I'd been putting all of this off, thinking that it would take too long, but it only took me 20 minutes or so. Now all I have to do is add a line every year to keep the journals up to date!

Oh that is an awesome thing to do!! When I moved to Florida from NY last year my mom still had my ornaments and my sister said she will send them to me or when my mom comes to visit in the spring so that is the first thing I will do when they arrive for sure!!!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Awesome! I've taken the pictures but need to have them printed and then do the writing. My mom buys us me and my DH and the kids new ornaments every year and we usually pick up one or two as well.

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
Great Job!!-

An ornament journal is on my to do list for DD4- I want to take a pic of each ornament and add short description who gave it to her and why it is special- Hmmm- should get a pic of her holding the ornament that way get a pic of the ornament and her:) That would be nice to bring out each year

Twinkle said:
Great Job!!-

An ornament journal is on my to do list for DD4- I want to take a pic of each ornament and add short description who gave it to her and why it is special- Hmmm- should get a pic of her holding the ornament that way get a pic of the ornament and her:) That would be nice to bring out each year

I was thinking the same thing from now on I am taking pics of the kids holding their ornaments every year for the "journal" time to buy more brag books!!!

thood

MHH Member
Oct 18, 2007
Good for you. This is the third year this has gone on my to-do list. Maybe you have inspired me enough to make it happen this year. :applause:

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I am encouraging members to set up a photo spot either at photobucket, flicker or picasso....then they can post pictures and hop over here to post a link...

I'd love to see some picutres of the Christmas Ornamnet Journals!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
HolidayJoy (and anyone else doing one),
How is your ornament journal doing?

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
I am thinking things through with this journal idea. I really have two separate types of ornaments: the old, heirloom ornaments that belong to the family, and the collections of ornaments that belong to each child. Right now, the journal is really very plain, just typed notes listing the year, a description of the ornament, who it belongs to and why it was chosen -- if it has any special meaning. It's a good start, right? But I could really do so much more with it. Like Twinkle, adding a pic each year of the child holding the ornament, and/or maybe make a beautiful, fancy scrapbook for each child?? If I make my plans too grand, I'll overwhelm myself and not do anything. . . !

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
You've done a great job just as it is!

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Thanks, Ahorsesoul! :lovestruck:
That makes me feel good!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I have been trying to get an Ornament Journal started for us for a couple of years now!

I even took the time at one point to take individual photos of each special ornament I wanted to feature, nestled on a bed of blue velvet.

And then somehow I lost the pictures - they got deleted off the camera somehow before they ever made it to our computer. I have no IDEA how that happened, because it never happens.

:thud:

I did do a blank Ornament Journal as a gift for a friend, using scrapbooking papers and other decorative items to create the "page" but leaving blank spots for journaling and for photos to be glued in.

That turned out nice. I'd like to actually get one done for myself though!

::eek:rnament: