Thanksgiving 2013-Anyone else excited?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
I know Canadian Thanksgiving is October 14th, coming so fast.

I love Thanksgiving because to me it is the official start of the Holiday Season.

I love watching the food shows about Thanksgiving, listening to Martha Stewart on satellite radio when they do all the shows about recipes and tips for all the delicious food. I love reading food magazines and all the gourmet recipes for the holiday.

My boss at work takes part in a huge dinner. In the beginning of November, he and his friends have planning meetings each week about the menu, guests, etc. In the office we talk about different recipes and anything new that we are trying for our own dinners. My other boss shares the menus her family emails to her about their dinner celebration (lobster mashed potatoes anyone? yum!).

The week of Thanksgiving, the boss is usually making lists, running errands for stuff he has to pick up. They don't only do a traditional turkey dinner with roasted turkeys and fried turkeys, they have done pig roasts and low country boil alongside too. So there is a lot of planning to be done. It is fun to talk about all the preparations everyone is doing. We all usually take off the Wednesday before so we have time to make pies, and prep as much as we can before Thursday.

October to me is enjoying all the spooky aspects of Halloween, and autumn/harvest activities.

November is all about food, blessings, family, and getting excited for the Christmas season, once Thanksgiving dinner is done!

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
Me, Me, Me!!!!

I am hosting 2 of my DDs and their families from out of town :)
I can hardly wait. We are probably gonna do Christmas with the DGK at the same time.

When does the Thanksgiving Countdown begin?

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I don't know what we will be doing this year. I do like how your Thanksgiving is a long time before Christmas, ours is only 3 weeks this year. I grew up with big thanksgivings and it sees to be just the 5 of us, sometimes its also my parents and moms parents but not always. For us it's a good Thanksgiving food, then Christmas decorating and shopping.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I overheard one of my students talking last week. She said they are now doing thanksgiving on Wednesday since so many stores are starting Christmas sales on Thursday instead of Friday!
Not sure what we will do this year...probably eat at my mom's, as usual.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Sugarplum, where do you work that you get to discuss Thanksgiving menus with your bosses???????

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Lolwlias-I just work in a small office, owner-operated. I am the office manager and we are all friendly, almost family-like since we spend so much time together. We are always chatting all the time about different things.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Jane-That's sad that people have to have their holiday on a different day due to store sales.

Bonnie-That is exciting about your family coming to dinner. For me the countdown begins right after Halloween.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
It's sad that Black Friday has turned into Midnight Thur now into Thursday. Retail associates need the day off. We are not allowed to ask for for Black Friday we are all required to work at some point that day. If it goes into Thanksgiving day I am sure people will be forced to work that day as well. I guess the Holiday pay will be nice if I am working but not having a day off won't be.

winters momma

MHH Member
Sep 10, 2013
Houston, Texas
Wow......having Thanksgiving on Wednesday so one doesn't miss the sales. I just can't imagine any family agreeing to that. But I am sure they won't be only family. That is just really sad
:turkey:

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I am excited ... we host every year. There are 5 in my house hold plus a few aunts and cousins that join us for dinner. Nothing really big but its nice and we all have a good time. Menu pretty much stays the same ... I have already started stocking up on some basic stuff like broth and baking supplies. Love watching the parade in the morning with my kids.

I shop Black Friday every year but I will NOT change my dinner plans, rush guests out or leave them to entertain them selves so I can go shopping. I will head out once all the guests leave or a sleep unless they are going shopping with me and my kids are a sleep.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Cannot wait! The weather has been beautiful here - and the forecast shows a lovely Thanksgiving weekend!

Harvest some lovely acorn squash from my garden and butternut squash will be ready for the dinner too - ordered our turkey on Sunday!

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
The sides are my favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner. I love acorn squash! And the sweet potatoes, creamed spinach, green bean casserole. I think my dinner plate usually has mostly vegetables!

I also make homemade cranberries, the Williams-Sonoma recipe that has apples, cloves and spices, and a regular cranberry-orange relish. I usually half the recipes so one bag of whole cranberries makes 2 kinds. I make it ahead of time so it has time to meld the flavors. Of course we have to have the canned jelly kind as well.

I always peel my potatoes while watching the parade. I wait until it is over to get the turkey in the oven (12 noon). Gotta see Santa at the end so the Holiday Season is officially started! Then I usually put on Miracle on 34th Street. Back in the day they used to play that on TV after the Thanksgiving parade and that was the only time you got to watch it (before dvd's, cable tv, etc.). Then we end up eating about 4 pm.

My son worked last year (Michael's Crafts) on Thanksgiving. Since he works in retail he has been doing the Black Friday hours for a few years now, but he enjoyed getting the time and a half for the holiday.

Princess_Christmas

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
I can't wait. I'm currently teaching kindergarten so this week we'll be doing lots of Thanksgiving stuff since our holiday is coming weekend! Then I'll prepare a turkey scavenger hunt for my nieces and do dinner on Monday.

But in the past I've had to work thanksgiving - our malls are open, so retail people must work - we only get Easter and Christmas eve/Christmas day.

Our family though celebrates the day we can all get together - Christmas is often done the 26th, 27th, or 28th. The first years my brother was married we did it on the 25th, but that got too much for their daughter at the time, and they couldn't enjoy the meal because they where full from Christmas lunch at her parents, so we decided give them a time to relax in between celebrations and we found it is sooooooo much nicer, it's not the date on the calendar but the spirit surrounding the family. But an aside - I wish everything was still closed on national holidays.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Our family though celebrates the day we can all get together - Christmas is often done the 26th, 27th, or 28th. The first years my brother was married we did it on the 25th, but that got too much for the.
I'm with your family on this. I do not really care if we celebrate on the exact date. I'm willing to do it early or later so everyone can be there and not be hassled. I have a friend who's family does their Christmas on their Thanksgiving day so they can free up Christmas for their spouses family.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Gotta see Santa at the end so the Holiday Season is officially started! Then I usually put on Miracle on 34th Street.

Yes! Yes! Me too!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
As I do mine over the summer I get things at flea markets you can get a lot of nice things at these and most things cheaper,my home is done for Christmas before thanksgiving that's when entertaining starts with friends and Christmas is just for us.:smilegift::fireplace:

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Watching the whole progression of Thanksgiving shopping has made me really made every year. When they opened at midnight I complained, then it moved to 5am..then noon..then all day. Today I seen on GMA that even Macy's is going to be open on Thanksgiving. Just makes me see one more reason families are failing in America. We don't even honor our time together. It's crazy!! I'm all for those waking up early the day after, don't get me wrong..but not on Thanksgiving please!!

Puternut

Premiere Member
Apr 25, 2013
FL. USA
I am excited only because this year we go to our fav dinner theater on T-day, and the day after Thanksgiving we start our Xmas decorating.