The job I hate.....

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
We got ours up so late - just days before Christmas so most of it stayed boxed this year. We did take the garland down from the from porch before the rain comes in but the lights are still out there. I took down all my interior wreaths from the back of the door and the little knick knacky things and boxed those up. I will leave the tree up for another week probably just because I want to enjoy it some more.

One of the things that I did a couple of years that has worked for me is to label all the crates in detail for example: Snowman countdown, believe signs, table top santas, etc. I pull a crate and find everything that goes in that and I pack it and move the crate aside to start with the next one. It really saved me this year to be able to go into storage and find the interior wreaths, the stockings and hangers and the 'fun' ornaments and leave the rest of the stuff where it was.

Glad you successfully conquered the beast!

Merry Christmas

MHH Member
Oct 16, 2007
Rocky Mountains
I didn't put a lot up this year. For some reason, I just wasn't feeling the Christmas spirit this year. First time EVER.

While getting ready for some friends to come over last night, I took down the stuff I had in my kitchen. It wasn't put away in terms of, put back under the stairs, but it's down. I hope to spend next weekend putting everything away where it goes.

Really the only thing I still have up is my tree and a few little things here and there. I might take the tree down during the week, but I'm not sure yet. This is the first year in about the last 3 that I actually LOVE my tree. I really don't want to take it down.

:rudolph:

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I don't have a lot out, this house is so small, and would normally put everything away and take the tree down today, but my daughter is only here for a few more days before going back to college Wednesday night, so we decided it will all stay up until after she leaves. I'll be sobbing my little eyes out while putting it all away...she goes to school 3000 miles away and I miss her so much.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I enjoy decorating so much more than pulling it all down. We did ours yesterday on an absolutely boiling day. Today is so much cooler.
Just have to wash and iron the rest of the linens and then the last tote can be put away until December.
Will want to rethink how I decorate this year. There was one whole box of dining room decor that I did not even put up. If I do not use it this year it will be going to the charity bin.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
In the past we had detailed list and numbered totes that said exactly what was where BUT somewhere after a couple years I lost the list so the last 2 years haven't been nice. I am hoping in spring/summer to sort thru all again and make a new list. It sure was nice with a list!

Berta

MHH Member
Dec 30, 2007
All done and put away...we were lucky enough to get new furniture, which was delivered yesterday, so we wanted to have it all done before that. Now, furniture is here, new valences have been hung, accessories decluttered and complement the decor and the room looks great...GREAT start to the new year!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I put away in steps instead of all at once. Works better for me. I get overwhelmed if I try to do it all at once.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
All done and put away...we were lucky enough to get new furniture, which was delivered yesterday, so we wanted to have it all done before that. Now, furniture is here, new valences have been hung, accessories decluttered and complement the decor and the room looks great...GREAT start to the new year!

Berta - New furniture is a perfect way to get motivated! Enjoy your wonderful room.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lana...reminds me of a song.....she's making a list and checking it twice,

Berta...what a great way to start the new year. Hope you enjoy your furniture.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
We usually wait until New Year's Day, but for some reason I wanted it down by the weekend. We took it all down on Thursday and I am so happy that it is done.

charscorner

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2010
Since our out of state son does not return to AZ until Wednesday the 5th, I will begin the process of taking down decorations on Thursday but won't get it completely finished until next week.

Downstairs I decorate one room a day and likewise undecorate the same way. That allows me to savor the process plus it does not become overwhelming. Each of these three rooms has its own packing box of decorations which makes that plan work well.

Upstairs the decorating is a bit more simplistic so a couple of rooms are comfortable to work with in a day.

Charlotte

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
Haven't even started! We always wait until at least New Year's. I'll probably do it while the kids are back in school. We liketo enjoy Christmas until the end ofthe holidays.

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
I have everything down but the tree and the dishes in the hutch. I hope to finish that today. Right now all of the decorations are spread out in the family room in the basement so I can pack it away and declutter as I go. My goal for Jan. is to declutter the basement so this is going to fit right in with that. Hope to get rid of some of the things I haven't used in the last couple of years. I also make a list of what's in the tubs. It really helps for next year.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I am working on getting the Christmas stuff put away today. Anyone want to come over and help??? My dining room table is covered in Christmas stuff. I am going to declutter all the Christmas boxes and take out all the items that need to be fixed. I also want to donate all the holiday stuff that I haven't used in years. Simplify!!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Bertha 2011 is off to a good start for you!
Cmerth, I'll go help you!

Today, jan.2nd, I'm starting dedecorating... would you believe DH would prefer it to stay up a bit more.. so I'm compromising I'm taking stuff down everywhere except the tree & village. And as I'm dedecorating I'm cleaning up every room (we've had lots of visitors these past few days so it needs to get done).

I'll be taking my time putting it back in boxes & identifying them.. it goes so much fastr when we decorate the following year.

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
I too enjoy decorating much more than dedecorating! I cleaned the bathroom the other day and took down those decorations, hope to do more today, really want the family to help get the tree down, goes much faster with everyone! Will finish up dedecorating this week, also need to clean out the christmas cubby, restack boxes, etc. it needs it!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Berta, congratulations on the new furniture. That would definitely be motivation for me.

Lana, I had a list too. It went in box #1. That way when I opened it, there was the list, but I have lost it. Plans are to re-do it spring break when I will scrounge around in the attic.

Cmerth, I'll come...

I just a few minutes ago collapsed the boxes to re-use this year and sorted all the ribbon. I did everything else Friday and yesterday. Usually, I am finding stuff all year so I am trying to do a better job this year of getting it all on the first sweep.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Well, the decor is down, but the tree and mantel garlands are still up. The lights are down outside, but we still have to remove the wreathes from the windows. I am making progress. A day or so ago I was ready for the clutter to be gone, but now it's almost too bare.

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
I put down most of my christmas decoration yesterday. Only the tree is still up. Putting down is easy but I hate it to store it into the boxes. I also decluttered some christmas stuff so I had to re-arrange and label everything. I was busy for at least 2-3 hours.

Taking up is easy, but taking down is always chaotic and long...

Chilli