The Joys of a New Cell Phone (long and boring)

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My T-mobile phone decided it had been used enough. So being time to get a new phone I called T-M a few weeks ago about getting a replacement. They were happy to tell me I could get a FREE UPGRADE. The phone came, was not an upgrade and had this tiny screen. I sent it back and headed to the T-M store to actually see the phones in my hot little hands. I decided the Razor would do.

I called T-M again. The said it would cost about $59 but I could get this other list of phones free. So I took the list, again went to the T-M store. Yep, none were what I could consider an upgrade.

Today I call and am told now the Razor is $89 not $59 because of whatever reason. But if I wait until June I could get a better price. Hmmmm, I mentioned maybe I should take this time and look at what other companies were offering.

Lo and behold, I've been such a good customer for so long that they didn't want to lose my wonderful business. Free Razor and Free Shipping was offered. Didn't think of asking for a better monthly rate until I'd hung up.

So always ask for something more than they are offering is the moral of the story.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Here in Quebec they have the good hand..... you have to take a contract (usually 3 years) and if you want to cancel at anytime you have to pay the remaining months of the contract!... it's such crap!! people I know have to pay around $400 just to get RID of the phone.

Yeah cell phone companies can be a little ridiculous!!! My cell is under my dads plan and when I lived in NY my secondary cell was one of those pay as you go. I didn't want to pay all those high monthly amounts when I hardly used the cell and then I got into the ten cent texting at the time. Texting was much cheaper than making a phone call to ask a question....lol

With my dad's plan he has texting blocked which is fine for now but eventually I want to set my prepay phone back up so I can text my friends in NY again!!!

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Many companies are like that - cell & regular phone, cable, etc. Once you threaten to leave, they always have a better deal to offer you.

We have our internet thru our phone company. When we 1st signed up (deal was for 9 months) our phone line with extras (call waiting, caller ID, etc), some long distance and our high speed was $65 a month. When our 9 months were up, it jumped to $98. When we called and said we weren't going to pay that and would get our internet elsewhere, they suddenly had a deal for $59 per month that doesn't include the long distance deal, but everything else is the same! Funny how the deal wasn't mentioned until we threatened to leave. The long distance doesn't bother us as we use our prepaid cell for that.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I have been around with the cell phone company a few times.
Several years ago when we first got our phones, (DS, DD and myself--DH just got one last year) I had a text messaging plan put onto my DD # only. (she was 15 then--need I say more) When we got the first bill my # had close to $70 or more in texting charges so I called and pointed out that the text was put on wrong #, they swore it wasn't and I pointed out that 2 of the phones didn't have any texts and that didn't it make sense to have it on a 15 yo phone. After a few months they took it off. But have had a few issues since that too!