The Olympics

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

JodyLynn

Retire Member
Jul 18, 2008
I struggled with where to put this post and decided this was close......

Is anyone else getting into the Olympics this year? The opening ceremonies were phenomenal and I'm enjoying watching the swimming and gymnastics competitions.

I remember back when both Summer & Winter Olympics were held in the same year. My parents made a huge deal out of both Olympics. Mom always had a lot of snacks for us during those 3 weeks.....popcorn, cookies, etc. I also remember Mom letting us eat dinner in the living room during the Olympics so we could watch. It was lot of fun and we spent a lot of quality family time cheering on our favorite atheletes. (Which is odd, now that I think of it, because NONE of us is athletic!)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Yeah, we're watching it more this time as well. Not sure why, maybe timing if anything. It's interesting for sure. DH doesn't like all the stories behind the athletes. He said the winter Olympics did that to much. But we'll see how it plays out after a couple weeks. They might all get tired of hearing about it.

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
I love the Olympics. The opening ceremony was amazing. My husband travels to China a lot, he is there right now actually, so seeing China on TV is really fun for our children. We haven't been able to join him on his trips there, but someday we will.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I try to watch as often as possible too. I like the olympics and I try to interest the teens too.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
We're watching! The opening ceremonies were beyond spectacular!!! And of course who can't but help root for Michael Phelps!! Did you see the men's relay last night??? Incredible!!! I didn't get to see the mens basketball game. We like watching swimming, diving, gymnastics, rowing, beach volleyball...ok, we like it all! lol

I actually liked when the winter and summer games were in the same year.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Me, too, Nancy...I loved both games in the same year. I actually prefer the winter games, but the summer is exciting as well. i love the equestrian events-they are twofers! You get two atheletes for the price of one...the rider and the horse! Of course, I've ridden all my life, but Western, not English, so it's interesting to me to watch them with no saddle horn!

I also like the gymnastics and the swimming events...heck, I like it all!! My kids do, too!!

And yes, we saw the swimming relay last night=that was close!!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
We're watching too! GO USA!! :-D

The other question is, which do you prefer...the Summer games or the Winter games?

I like Summer, dh likes Winter

Be blessed,
Lisa

doodlebugs

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
NC
We are watching here too! I'm so addicted!! My ds4 likes the swimming and tries to mimic Phelps when we are in our own pool. Hmmm... maybe he'll be an olympic swimmer one day!! ;-)

I just wish the commentators would hush so we could watch without their opinion of certain athletes. I think it's an honor just to make it to the olympics.

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
Yep, we're watching too...the scenery during the women's bike race was so interesting, China is such a fascinating place...love the swimming, and we're tennis freaks-watching not playing! so we want to see some of that...

JodyLynn

Retire Member
Jul 18, 2008
MinnieCo said:
Yeah, we're watching it more this time as well. Not sure why, maybe timing if anything. It's interesting for sure. DH doesn't like all the stories behind the athletes. He said the winter Olympics did that to much. But we'll see how it plays out after a couple weeks. They might all get tired of hearing about it.

MinnieCo, that's my favorite part! I like hearing about the atheletes in their home countries.

I definitely like the winter olympics more (maybe because winter is my favorite season). But I'm enjoying these. Unfortunately I missed the big relay last night. :sad:

Go USA! Go Michael Phelps!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
It's kind of amazing to think about people all over the world watching these games, at the same time.

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
We've been enjoying watching too! DD8 is very interested and we think it's good for her. I remember watching the 1976 Olympics with my family when I was a little girl.

I love that the timing permits some of the events to be live here during our primetime viewing. It's a rare luxury! Usually you find out who won sometime during the day before you get a chance to watch at night. The only problem is that some of the good events are on past DD's bedtime. She has a big crush on Michael Phelps so I let her stay up to see him but I do wish it were earlier.

Oh, well! It's a special event and there's no school yet.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
LadyEvenstar -- doesn't EVERYONE have a big crush on Michael Phelps? Strictly patriotic, that is! LOL.