Themed family night

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Christysue

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Cathymac your theme breakfasts have inspired me. While discussing food plans for our Christmas get together DSil and I came up with a new plan. My family has a Mexican herritage and we try to keep some of those traditions. Our Christmas meal is mexican, and we have a pinata for most family celebrations. DSil and I are interested in creating meals from other parts of the world as well, so we have come up with a plan to host a family dinner once a month. Each month we will have a meal from a different country and spend the day or evening playing games, watching movies or just enjoying each others company. I am very excited about this and it was Cathymac's monthly breakfasts that gave me the idea. Thank you Cathy! I look forward to posting our menus starting in January.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Great idea! This sounds like fun.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
That is a great idea. Sounds like lots of fun...just remember to take pictures! I did pretty well the first month, but I've slacked off since then. If my friend's husband is here, he's our photographer, then emails them to me. Glad you found inspiration in my ramblings.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I do recommend this for everyone.
I've been having FAMILY DINNER DAY once a month for years now. Once the kids grow up and move out, it's a great way to stay connected.
I haven't totally thought of "themes" but it is a great idea to add to the mix.
I'll keep my eyes open for your posts on your themes and maybe borrow some, if you don't mind.
We have watched videos and played Scattergories, and had a kickball game....we've done breakfast, decorated the Christmas tree together...etc.
I always take a pic at FDD as well. When it's someone's birthday month, they get to pick the meal for that Family Dinner Day.
I'm glad to see someone else doing it!!! Have fun and enjoy. :applause:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I love this idea. Keep us posted on how it goes.

:snowman: Melanie

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
My mom still requires us todo things as a family at least once a month. During racing season we are together weekly. A theme night would be great, maybe I will suggest it to her. Any theme other than racing would be great. But in our family thats all there is. Even now off season when its mine, my sisters, and SIL's busiest time of year for next season.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
That sounds like a great idea. My family and dh's family get along, but not all of dh's family does...LOL It would be difficult, but I'd really like to do something like this once a month in the coming year. I'm going to spring it on DH and see what he thinks. I was just reading about Game Nights and having a theme for those.

:bigsnow:

Lisa

Christysue

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I am single so for me it is just my family. I am the oldest of 5 kids and the older 3 of us all have kids of our own so we make quite a crowd. When we are all together there are 19 of us including "significant others". That is more than enough for my little two bedroom apartment to handle. I worry about the walls standing when it is all over with :haha:

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
DH agreed, so I'm working on invites for a game night on January 18th. I'm going to go with a snowflake theme. I am thinking about making homemade pizzas and wings for the main dishes. I am going to ask for everyone to bring something since there will be 21 people if all attend!

Thanks again for the inspiration!

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
teachermomof2 said:
there will be 21 people if all attend!

Thanks again for the inspiration!

What games will you play that 21 people can participate in?

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
Great idea... This is something that I would love to incorporate into my family, even though we have no extended family nearby, just to hopefully stay connected with the kids as they are getting older and (eventually) moving out.

BUT... when to do it??? How do you all work the scheduling? Weekends are out for us because of our youth group obligations and hubby is gone mon-fri??? Hmmmm... must think on this.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
What games will you play that 21 people can participate in?

I am planning on having 2 or 3 different games going at a time...one in the dr and one in the lr. I figure the kids will play a game on the floor of the lr and the adults can gather around the table in there. Apples to Apples will definitely be played.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
[quote="teachermomof2
:bigsnow:[/quote]
I've heard about that game on the radio. I'll have to check it out!

pattycakes

Retire Member
Nov 4, 2007
shutterbugsmd.blogspot.com
I just attended a Game Day yesterday and we played Apples to Apples. It is now on my list of games to purchase--it was a blast!

There were 10 adults at this party--the kids all played downstairs. It was a little overwhelming sometimes with all those people playing the same game--I think it would work well to have at least 2 different games going--more for 21 people!!

This is something I'd like to pursue in the new year--hosting a Game Night. It was so much fun!!!

hsflymom

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I think that I just might take this idea and run with it. I won't be including anyone except my DH and kids, but my mind is running with ideas right now. I have a "family night" scheduled twice a month, where we would just do dinner and something fun together. Now I'm going to add something educational (that's the homeschooler requirement you know!) and make it an international night. I'll have the kids research a particular country, and find recipes from that country, and we can make those recipes together and eat them for dinner that night! Maybe that will be one of our family nights a month - I don't think I can handle more than that! I'm already thinking Chinese, Falafel, Tandori Chicken, African chop, Fish and Chips, Saurbraten, Sushi, etc.

What could I make that is traditionally Australian? There has to be some help here for that! Lamb? Isn't Australia Day coming up soon?