traditions....

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
hi,

i read on a post on here about the german tradition on 6 dec of leaving your shoes outside, and they are filled with sweets etc if you've been good and twigs if you've been bad.

now this got me thinking are there any others?

i have googled and can find srange/weird traditions but none linke dto dates etc. does anyone know of any others?

Mouse2

Retire Member
Jun 29, 2011
London, United Kingdom
Last edited:

JeniferDwn

MHH Member
Jul 21, 2010
Florence SC
www.jeniferdwn.blogspot.com
sounds like fun! Gotta have my coffee loaded with sugar and creamer and then I can think!!

I bought a cute little pickle ornament last year at Lowes but forgot to hide it on the tree. I think they'll enjoy it this year.

nicurn92

MHH Member
Sep 25, 2008
I remember in 1st grade we did a unit on holiday traditions from around the world and we all had to bring a shoe in and leave it over night... I was so excited since dec 6 is my birthday. :) honestly can't tell you any of the other ones we studied but that one has remained with me since then... (my poor parents had to add it every year after that... I'm sure they were not happy with my teacher :) ) maggie

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
The Feast of St. Nicholas on Dec. 6 is celebrated in many countries. We also leave the boys shoes (slippers) out, and in the morn are small chocolate coins, a candy cane and message. When my boys were much small there may also be a small toy, like a spinning top or yoyo...

Thought this was interesting, my husbands family, before communism, came from Russia - but they did not keep any 'old' traditions from there.

Russian Christmas Folk Traditions

Russian Santa: Grandfather Frost is the Russian Santa Claus. He brings gifts to the children at New Year's, which is the most popular Russian holiday celebration. His grand-daughter, the "Snowmaiden," accompanies him to help distribute the gifts. All of our Russian Santas ares hand-carved and hand-painted in one of the traditional wood carving villages of old Russia. Linden wood is the most commonly used wood for these wonderful Russian Santas.

New Years Eve - December 31st - is the big day for the celebration of Russian Chrsitmas in post-revolutionary, Russia. On New Years Eve Grandfather Frost (Russia's version of Santa Claus) arrives with his granddaughter the Snowmaiden. They bring bags of candy for the children and Grandfather Frost listens to the girls and boys sing songs and recite poems. After this, he gives small Christmas gifts to the children.

Russians decorate their homes with a Christmas tree and often put pine leaves on their front doors, and in the house. The Russian Christmas tree is usually taken down at the end of January after the feast day of the Baptism of Christ.

"C novom godom!" (snow-vum gode-um)- meaning "with the New Year" - is a common New Years Eve - Christmas holiday greeting.

Mouse2

Retire Member
Jun 29, 2011
London, United Kingdom
The Feast of St. Nicholas on Dec. 6 is celebrated in many countries. We also leave the boys shoes (slippers) out, and in the morn are small chocolate coins, a candy cane and message. When my boys were much small there may also be a small toy, like a spinning top or yoyo...

Thought this was interesting, my husbands family, before communism, came from Russia - but they did not keep any 'old' traditions from there.

Russian Christmas Folk Traditions

Russian Santa: Grandfather Frost is the Russian Santa Claus. He brings gifts to the children at New Year's, which is the most popular Russian holiday celebration. His grand-daughter, the "Snowmaiden," accompanies him to help distribute the gifts. All of our Russian Santas ares hand-carved and hand-painted in one of the traditional wood carving villages of old Russia. Linden wood is the most commonly used wood for these wonderful Russian Santas.

New Years Eve - December 31st - is the big day for the celebration of Russian Chrsitmas in post-revolutionary, Russia. On New Years Eve Grandfather Frost (Russia's version of Santa Claus) arrives with his granddaughter the Snowmaiden. They bring bags of candy for the children and Grandfather Frost listens to the girls and boys sing songs and recite poems. After this, he gives small Christmas gifts to the children.

Russians decorate their homes with a Christmas tree and often put pine leaves on their front doors, and in the house. The Russian Christmas tree is usually taken down at the end of January after the feast day of the Baptism of Christ.

"C novom godom!" (snow-vum gode-um)- meaning "with the New Year" - is a common New Years Eve - Christmas holiday greeting.
Thanks. This is very interesteing!

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
I know St Nicolas like this. On 5th/6th december St Nicolas and his "friend" Krampus. First one is for good , nice children and brings sweets, oranges, nuts, red apples - sometimes also a small gift. Krampus comes with twits, potatoes and coals and he rattles with a chain. When I was a child, St Nicolas came to me (of course ;-)) but sometimes I only heared a rattle - and went to bed early :) :)

here is some information about Krampus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krampus - they describe here how these Krampus run around on the streets - this happens only at the countryside and not in the city

Furthermore we have our christmas eve on 24th of december - this is the day where we put up the tree (normally). I always put up the tree earlier as it would be to much stress with cooking etc on 24th. Furthermore I love the tree!!! And our gifts will be brought by Christkind. When tree, gifts etc are ready, a little bell rings and children can enter the room. I still remember this magic moment when I was a little girl!
But also Santa Clause gets more and more popular here. So I have to admit that I have stockings for my family and on 25th there is a small gift in each stocking... :) so I mix up various cultures a little bit :)

And I don't know if this is known in the states, but we also have an advent wreath made of little fir branches with 4 candles on it. On each advent sunday we light one additional candle and while it lights, we sing christmas songs and/or tell christmas stories.

And of course we have Barbara day. On 4th of December we take little twigs of a fruit tree (eg cherry) and place them into a bowl of water. When they start to bloom on or before christmas day it brings good luck.
http://www.holytrinitygerman.org/adventcustoms.html#barbarabranches

On this site you will find some information about Lucy Lights as well - this is a scandinavian tradition. So I don't know a lot about it. But I have a little Lucy figurine at home - I bought it 2007 during my vacations in Stockholm (Sweden) - you see, I am international :)

So I think that's all for the moment.

Chilli

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
And of course we have Barbara day. On 4th of December we take little twigs of a fruit tree (eg cherry) and place them into a bowl of water. When they start to bloom on or before christmas day it brings good luck.
http://www.holytrinitygerman.org/adv...arbarabranches

I have never heard of this chilli, do you know why it is called Barbara Day?

~ Farmerswife