Tree Theme Ideas Here-2008 updated

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'd love to see everyone's theme ideas here.

Beary Merry Tree, stuffed bears or use beanie babies, also theme this by doing bears with workshop items, bakery or toys

Watermelon tree, watermelon ornaments, watermelon seed packs with green and white striped ribbon bows

Poinsettia tree, silk poinsettia flows with gold ribbons and beads

Save the Earth Tree, ornaments of endangered animals with pinecones and ribbons

Nautical Tree, lobster, light houses and fish ornaments with life preservers, flags and bobbers. Make bobbers by dipping red glass ornaments is white paint.

Penguin Tree, penguin ornaments, use plastic icicles or ice cubes, small wooden skies and cotton batting for snow

Kitty Cat Tree, cat ornaments, baskets labeled with "catnip" with dried herbs (don't suggest real catnip if you have cats lol), bows, small bird house for tree topper (stencil with "kitty cat motel")

Dog Gone Christmas, dog ornaments, plastic bones tied with ribbons, dog toys hung with ribbons, use a wooden bird house at top but cut out a hole so it looks like a dog house, stencil pets animal on the house

Nutcracker Tree, nutcracker ornaments, small drums and musical note ornaments, Plaid tree skirt

Gifts of the Magi, Magi dolls with antique looking snowflakes, gold balls and bells, small jeweled boxes, gold tassels, all with purple accents and purple velvet skirt

Christmas Carousel, Carousel horse ornaments made by cutting out shape and glue on sparkle glitter, pink and white ribbons, white snowflakes, clear glass ornaments, dried roses

Button Country, fabric angles made out of country fabric, make some quilt yo-yos sew several on a ribbon with buttons in the middle of the yo-yo, some fabric hearts with buttons, use white small picket fence around tree with dried sunflowers glued on the fence, felt tree skirt with lots of buttons sewed on

Kitchen molds, glue two matching metal jello molds together to make ornaments (the silver kind), use glue on trim to cover the seam and add a hanger, large red silk or dried flowers, off white berry garland and off white lace woven in tree, wooden spoons as accents

Ice Splendor, use a white tree, with silver ornaments, silver photo frames (empty), silver mesh ribbon to weave in tree, mirrored garland

Whimsical Cool Yule, very large red ornaments, small package ornaments, lime green ornaments for accent, candy garland, bend top of tree so it curve into a 'c' shape at the top with a star hanging off the end.

Beach house, hand shells and weave fish net for garland, star fish for top of tree, have tree in basket or a wooden box for a stand, hang a "wish in a bottle"(clear small bottle with paper that can be read with a few small seashells or sand in it), white metal bells.

All one color, like red. Do the whole tree with red ornaments and garland with clear glass icicles and clear beaded garland woven into tree

Retro Noel, Silver tree with white and pink ornaments with brown accents

White and Gold, White tree with all gold metal ornaments, gold wired ribbon tied in a big bow to the top of the tree and running down the tree (not around) use white lights. A friend did this one year and it looked like it should have been a cover for a magazine.

Merry Magic Elf, stuffed Elf ornaments, two colored ribbons twisted together and woven around tree, gold jingle bells as accents

New baby in the house, pastel ornaments, baby rattles and teething toys tied on tree with baby ribbons

Cowboy Christmas, Cowboy Santa ornaments, small plastic horses tied on with twine, hang on real bits, brown suede ribbons to trim end of each branch

Family Tree, photos of family printed in sepia and framed in small gold frames, ornaments to reflect the occupation of family members, copy a map of the area family members live on the shrink film to make small ornaments to hang, gold stars and keys as accents

Kitchen tree, small metal baking pans (like the baking sets for children), small metal kitchen whisks and bread dough ornaments made to look like fancy breads and cookies, use red and white checkered ribbons for accents

gingerbread tree, you could add french silk tule bags, like the ones used at weddings, filled with those red hot candies or other Christmas candy and tied with ribbon. Also gingerbread man cookies cutters. Even hang the Christmas ribbon candy on the tree

red and white ornaments
http://www.valuebuy.net/red.html

http://www.theornamentgirl.com/ornament ... aments.htm

photos of white tree with candy candy decorations
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/pho ... 1407DAHLRe

And you could go all out and use this card
http://www.secretclosetgifts.com/browse.cfm/4,2134.htm

The lyrics for the Candy Cane Tree
http://www.cherrylane.com/clpub/html/bo ... wid=100242

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Re: Tree Theme Ideas Here

One of my favorite trees ever was a red and white one. It was a fresh pine that I went into the woods and cut down (back in the day!) and put red and white glass balls, candy canes and red lights on it. That was about 20+ years ago! I was young, single and poor, but I had a pretty Christmas tree! LOL!

One year, also when I was single, I had a gorgeous Victorian tree. It was an 71/2 ft tall Frasier fir, with white lights, rose, mauve and ivory lace fans, silk flowers and tulle garland, burgundy and gold glass balls, porcelain angels and babies breath. I lived in a house that was 100+ years old, 8 ft ceilings and all. It was so pretty. I want to reproduce it this year in a smaller form. It'll be with red, creamy ivory and gold instead of the pinks-and only 4', in our bedroom or bathroom. I haven't entirely decided which, yet.

I do a snowman tree that we love. White lights, snowmen and women in every size, shape, form and fabric...from 1/2 inch tall glass ornaments to 6" stuffed snowmen. I put batting into the branches for snow, hang glass icicles and plastic snowflakes from it, and top it with a momma snowwoman and her babies. I hang glittered plastic snowflakes from the ceiling with fishing like, and it looks like a mini flurry all around the top of the tree. I love it. It gets many comments every year.

I also have a redbird tree in my kitchen. The tree is a slim 6 footer, with red lights, red berry sprays, red and cream checked bows made from wide wired ribbon and of course, redbirds! I'll have it again this year. I'll post pictures when I get it done!

I'll think of some more and post later. It's late and my brain is drained! :tree:

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland

Patteemom I love the village tree idea. I have a lot of pieces bought from the dollar store which i put in my curio in the diningroom. I always have a few extra pieces that I'm unable to place in the curio without it looking too busy. I always put a tree on top of the curio with just glittered apples. I may change that and use the extra village pieces instead this year.

patteemom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Idaho

aggy said:
Patteemom I love the village tree idea. I have a lot of pieces bought from the dollar store which i put in my curio in the diningroom. I always have a few extra pieces that I'm unable to place in the curio without it looking too busy. I always put a tree on top of the curio with just glittered apples. I may change that and use the extra village pieces instead this year.

It is a fun way to use all those great pieces. I also made sure to stick a light up in the houses so they would light up. You can also add snowflakes fo a white Christmas.
:globe:

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope

I mentioned this on OC, but here it is again. I have a small artificial tree in my sewing room which I decorated with button ornaments, little spools of thread, red-and-white striped fabric yo-yos that look like peppermint candy, and little red velvet strawberries. My husband drilled holes in the tops of several old thimbles, which I hung on tiny ribbons, and they look like bells. I topped it with a bow of red bias tape. Am trying to figure out a garland for this year.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!

Christmasrose-I love the sewing tree! That is cute.

I also have a Santa's laundry tree in the laundry room. It's only a 2 1/2 ft tree, but the clothesline wraps around it. It has two sets of laundry-Santa's hat, mittens, socks, pants, thermal shirt, and jacket. It gets lots of comments.

Last year I had a 2 ft tree with clusters of white lights-7 lights, wired together- and silver and gold glittered stars. It was very simple, but filled an empty corner on my countertop just perfectly!

chrissyjean

MHH Member
Oct 20, 2007

My trees have been multiplying each year...

In my living room I do an "Americana" tree. Red and white lights, and old red white and blue stars and drum ornaments, and older American santa climbing the tree. My decorations on this tree have grown. While most of the ornaments on this tree are American themed, I also add all of my "family" ornaments. All the ornaments I have received as gifts from family, and my children's ornaments.(They pick out 1 new one each year.)

In my family room downstairs, I decorate a Mountain cabin tree, with birds, pinecones,old toy car ornaments, even fish ornaments.It is a very masculine tree, dedicated to my DH, since most of the house is very Christmas and "Pretty". Living with 3 girls can be hard!

In DD12's room,we have a cool blue tree, with all blue ornaments and bulbs, lights and a cool blue snowman topper and tree skirt.

In DD6 I decorate a small 3ft tree with the pretty pink and green and blue ornaments that were popular last year. She has clear lights. And a Barbie Tree Skirt
In my Kitchen I decorate What I call a Victorian tree, But I might be off in my style...I decorate with gold and cranberry colored ribbions, red and white roses, baby's breath, and cranberry and cream colored bulbs that have gold glittered decorations on them. :tree:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Re: Tree Theme Ideas Here--Office Tree

For an office tree:
Colored paper clips hooked together for garland
Ornaments: hang pencils, pens, scissors, large paper clips (the really big silver ones), small staplers and tiny white envelopes hung on the branches with those pinch paper clips. The envelopes could be stamped with each person's name in the office or the company logo.

Update: Hang little mini candy bars for the ornaments. Make sure to have lots of the bosses favorite. You will have to refill as the candy disappears. :tree:

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com

I collect camels and flamingos so i would like to do a mini tree ( i don't have enough ornaments for a big tree) of each, one with all my camel ornamnets and last year i saw a small pink feather tree, that i would love to get this year and fill with flamingo ornaments, tacky, but i would love it so much. ;)

tsteffes

Retire Member
Jul 9, 2008
I have a tree in my entry that features all the christmas cards I received that year. Totally the most commented on tree in my house!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
:applause: Great ideas! Ahoursesoul love the pics on that tree blog!