used as a resource or for archiving?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Roryrory

Retire Member
Apr 23, 2008
I am interested in starting a Christmas Notebook but I am torn between using it as a place to plan things (and so it will be more of a real "notebook") and using it as a place to record things. I have seen that some people seem to use their Notebook more as an archive and record what cards they received each year, what they cooked, and so on, and don't really use it to jot down ideas or plan things. So how do you use your notebook?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I think more people use their notebook as both. I record my Christmas past and also have future plans listed. Someone could pick up by notebook and probably have the exact Christmas I have planned for this year. My CN has made the biggest difference in how I now celebrate this wonderful holiday.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I'm exactly the same way. I use it to record last Christmas, including photographs of decorations, lists of gifts given and received and any other ideas that I want to remember. I have a section titled Christmas Past (not very original, I know) for this.

The rest of my notebook is divided into sections as well. I have a Rudolph Day section divided into months, a gift giving section subdivided into homemade gifts, food gifts, and gifts to purchase. I also have a decorating section, a menu section that includes recipes and a craft section for things I'd like to try.

Hope this helps a little bit...

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
I have a half inch binder I keep with me most of the time that I do monthly planning and have minimum Christmas stuff to work on all year (gift lists, 24 countdown, craft list etc.)

I am trying to start making 4 season notebooks where archives/ideas will be kept-and then can look through these as needed.

Hmmm- That would be a good-
Turkey Day- Fall Notebook
Rudy Day- Winter Notebook
Hoppity Day- Spring NB

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I don't keep Christmas past in note but notebook is a place full of ideas for decoration, recipes, gifts, crafts...elves!

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
Mine is both Christmas Past and Christmas Present. When the year is done Christmas Past goes into a notebook that is strictly for past christmas's and archiving them and then the Christmas Present becomes Christmas past so it's constantly rotating each year.

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
My notebook is for planning. I only kept my gift list from last year in there for reference so I don't buy the same gifts again. I keep my holiday recipes there for easy access, and an ongoing list of ideas. I have a separate book: "Christmas Memories" where I can add photos and archive memories of the day from each year.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Ooh, this discussion gave me an idea for my notebook! I'm going to divide it into three major sections: Christmas Past, Christmas Present, and Christmas Future. Then I can keep my tabs for each section.This way I can look back to previous Christmases and plan for Christmas '08, '09 and beyond!
Thanks

jingle-jo

Retire Member
Feb 13, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
I am keeping a christmas note book for the first time this year! It is very much a work in progress! I can already see that I should have put a bit more thought in to it - love the idea of christmas past, present and future! I am going to do this next year!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
jingle-jo....you will find your notebook is always a work in progress,....and that is good and fun too!

Twinkle....love your idea about the seasonal notebooks...are you planning to work on each notebook on that specific day...? Like work on your Spring Notebook on Hippity Hoppity Day? I like that idea....I just might have to "steal" it.

I have journals for most holidays so my Christmas notebook is mainly for the current year with some notes from the previous year...I use the journals for recording parties, menus, gifts, cards, etc....I have a Susan Branch Christmas one that I really like. BUT a notebook format would be awesome too....cause it can expand each year....ummm...I will have to think about that one!!!

Roryrory

Retire Member
Apr 23, 2008
They are some great ideas ladies! I am in the process of scapping photos from each Christmas in an album (I started in 2006, which was my first son's first Christmas) But I love the idea of expanding that to be more of a journal of what we did each year rather than just a photo album. I think that way I can keep my Christmas journal as a workbook - I know I will keep the photos up to date but I can't rely on myself to stay on top of a journal as well, sadly!!

Pippi

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Tall Corn state
Twinkle:
I, too, love your idea of separate notebooks, 'cause my Christmas book has all other holidays, seasons, gardening & decorating ideas, as-well-as archival things jammed into it.

Thanks!
Pippi ;-)

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
Actually the 4 season notebook idea was probably "stolen" from here or OC- My plan is to work on the notebooks on the days since I don't do heavy planning for many of the Holidays- but would like to get more organized and do more fun stuff and it gives me a dedicated day. Need to figure out when to do summer notebook planning.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
In the beginning, I had just one notebook for all Holidays. Next I pulled everything Thanksgiving for my next notebook. Then last year the pages for an Easter Notebook came out. My Easter Notebook went on the shelf with just dividers and task pages in page protectors.

I don't do a lot for Easter so I don't look at it often. This year was my first year to use it. I was surprised at the amount of items I had gathered during the year without even knowing. Apparently when I came across or someone here posted good ideas, recipes and gifts I put them directly into my Easter Notebook. It was just like getting a free gift to find all this information all together.

I can't believe how easy my notebooks have made my Holidays. They now are part of my life. It's so nice to just pull out a notebook and have everything I need at my finger tips.

I also learned from experience on OC, to print out anything I really was interested in using. You never know when those internet pages or messages might disappear. Now when I find something I have a home for them.