Week 12: Attic/Storage

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
This just makes my back ache thinking about it. My storage area is under the kitchen and is only about 4 1/2 feet high so I am bent over the whole time I'm working in there. I have everything in plastic tubs but I do need to organize them into areas a little better.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Well, this week is OK as the builders haven't yet left the attic so I HAVE to ignore it a while yet!! LOL!!

Over the weekend, I DID manage to get my batteries and stamps. We also got some outdoor lights as the old set had died last year (DH actually WANTED to buy those!). I also finished the knitting part of the scarf last night, so I just have to sew in 2 ends, sew on the button and decide if I want to make some kind of flower for opposite the button.

I also got a lot done on DD's owl on Saturday - I actually sewed on all the decoration parts (eyes, tummy, 2 wings and 2 feet), and stitched the main body together. I just need to get proper stuffing, stuff it and sew the top closed. I am dead chuffed with that.

And I am making more progress with the sewing things - I have the fleece out to make a couple of dollie blankets. And I will finish the crayon rolls this week also.

I don't have Thanksgiving to stress about, but I will purchase at least 1 more item this week. (We had a discussion over coffee on Saturday, and have now decided on Dh's parent's gift - a book which I can easily get and a voucher to make for getting chickens in the spring). I also got a pot over the weekend to add to a box of kitchenware I am putting together for his sister (building a house).

And I also made my mincemeat, and started soaking lemon and orange peels to make candied peel for baking. I will put a jar of mincemeat into my foodie hampers for 3 couples, and perhaps a carton of peel if it works (or maybe some slices of peel dipped in chocolate as a sweet treat rather than an ingredient). And I started my chilli vodka - [erhaps slightly late but that needs less maturing time than others.

I still have to finish the peel, and I want to make some cookie dough for freezer (have loads of eggs this week), and some chilli oil. There's a spiced cranberry vodka that looks interesting. And it's almost my last chance to make chutney.

And I MUST start writing some cards too.....

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
(We had a discussion over coffee on Saturday, and have now decided on Dh's parent's gift - a book which I can easily get and a voucher to make for getting chickens in the spring).

, and some chilli oil. There's a spiced cranberry vodka that looks interesting. And it's almost my last chance to make chutney.

You wore me out just reading all you plan to do!

I was thinking if you saved an egg carton and either found little stuffed chicks or used plastic Easter eggs it would be a nice way to box the spring chickens gift.

Would you share your recipe for Spiced Cranberry Vodka and chutney?

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Go! Go! Winged one! :)

"dead chuffed"??? lol - love it!

I have made little progress on HGP cleaning tasks due to a cold. DS has it too. I have purchased some Christmas presents and have continued to purchase items off the master grocery list, etc.

But that is about it! Catchup tasks this week will include doing an HGP on the downstairs bathroom that I intended to do LAST week. {sigh}

Ah well, best laid plans...

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Ahorsesoul, bearing in mind I haven't tested this recipe yet, and it's in UK measurements, here it is:
100g dried cranberries
50g prunes
125g golden caster sugar
1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
1 tbsp juniper berries, roughly crushed
pared rind of 1 orange
70cl bottle of vodka

Put all ingredients together in a clean, sterilised, 1 litre bottles and leave for 2 weeks in a cool, dark place, shaking every now and then.

Will keep up to 3 months in a cool, dark place.

To serve, strain into glasses (magazine suggested presenting as a gift with a new teastrainer attached for this purpose).

Thanks to Good Housekeeping Magazine.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Now that I haven't lost the recipe. I think I am mad the way I keep adding to the list. I finally finished the candied peel last night - I just have to put it into jars tonight. Not 100% sure it worked, but it seems ok.

I have to acquire (i.e. make) stockings for the 6 siblings and 4 significant others as I passed a throwaway remark. But that should be easy enough (I can make them fancy if time allows, but I can run up 10 basic stockings in an evening if necessary).

But I have gotten 2 more presents this week so far, and I will get the book today. I LOVE the ideas of the chicks AHorsesoul!! Thanks! In fact, I think we still have some little chocolate chicks from last easter that I could use!!

Otherwise, I am just working on sorting my (work) office to get something done to reduce the choas around me!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Thanks for the recipe. I need to get this made this week.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Did some work on the HGP tasks for the downstairs bathroom yesterday. I am in crunch mode now since our dinner party is scheduled for Dec 4th.

House must be ready!

Have been making progress on gift shopping too! :)