Week 4: Master Bedroom

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
doing ok. Need to start working on lists so i have a better idea of what I need to accomplish. Master Bedroom is a mess. always is. I have stuff to go into the attic. I did get through DH's clothes so that helps. I need to take photos and try to craigs list some of it before yard sale or donations.

Last week we don't have a real entry way pretty much walk into living room but we always use the side door through the laundry room so i did some work in there.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I'm NOT doing that great but I continue doing so that has to count for something, right?! The master bedroom will be a lot of work for us. I still have a bunch of boxes that came over but never got unpacked. If I was brave enough I'd simply pitch them but I can't do that! We also need to redo closets and get a new closet system to better utilize the space.

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
I am still doing pretty good. I am following my own version of the HGP. I have made a spreadsheet of each room and what needs to be done in each room. What I have been working on over the past few weeks is lumping some things together. Last week I wiped down all of my window blinds. This morning I wiped down all of the inside doors including the closet doors. This week I am going to work on cleaning out closets, drawers, and cabinets. It might take more that a week. There is something very satisfying about marking each thing off of my spreadsheet.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
•Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.

This statement just cracks me up. I can just see someone pulling out something called HOLIDAY MEAL from a freezer with no idea of what is really in it. Might be kind of fun.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I am doing terribly to be quite honest. I go into each week with the intention of doing what's on my lists and then it doesn't get done. Right now is just such a busy time for us with DH getting ready to leave for a year and the work going on in the basement. We try to grab up every spare moment for together time so there hasn't been a lot of cleaning going on around here.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Ahorsesoul - That would be funny! I never really thought about it but there are some who would be that literal!

Jessica - I think you are doing the right thing by spending as much time with DH as possible. That is your priority right now so you should not feel bad about the plan. It will still be around when you get around to it.

Aggy - Thanks for the pat on the back - I needed it today!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
We try to grab up every spare moment for together time so there hasn't been a lot of cleaning going on around here.

No one will remember the cleaning waited while you and your family made memories that will last a lifetime.

Dakotasmamaw

Retire Member
Im with everyone else.. doing what I can and also working from my own list.. This plan actually at least gets us all to thinking about it and start doing things earlier than we would normally, so that is good... My Living Room was this week and I didnt finish, but thats ok.. its some big things I got finished in there, that I had no plans to do, so writing it down, made me do it... This week I will work on my entry, front porch and back porch..

And tonight most of my lists...

Tasha

Retire Member
Dec 29, 2007
Arkansas
This is one that shouldn't be too hard. I keep my bedroom fairly decluttered and clean. I do have a few things that could be put in other rooms. The bed needs to be moved so the floor can be cleaned a little better. And I desperately need to finish the headboard, I have everything but a piece of plywood because DH keeps forgetting to bring one home.

[]Clean under bed
[]Upholster headboard
[]Clean off chair
[X]Take down curtains and clean them
[X]Wash Windows

Last edited:

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
This is a MAJOR one for me....because I am in the middle of a major redo of the bedroom...

For this week....painting ceiling and trim and then walls....

Somewhere along the line:

1. Put down new flooring
2. Finish cleaning out closet
3. Put on new closet doors
4. Haul old dresser out.
5. Repaint antique dresser (it needs it!!)
6. Paint little end table I just got
7. Paint new (old) bed ...headboard, foortborad and frame.
8. Put bed together in room and add new sheets/dust ruffles etc.
9. Put together finishing touches/little things etc...

Have already painted my new lamp that I picked up at resale shop....it looks nice!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
[] Sort through DD's books in Living room and her bedroom
[] Bring another load to storage unit (There's only about 3/4 left in the attic so getting there)
[x] Change sheets and flip mattress on bed
[x] Wash mattress protector
[x] Check winter weight duvet is cleaned, ready to put on
[] Clear off dressingtable clutter
[x] Put remainder of summer clothes away (preferably into storage unit) - will move to storage as part of item 2 above
[x] Sort socks etc drawer so I can find things
[] Sort PJs/Tshirts drawer
[] Sort jumpers drawer (and put winter jumpers in again)
[] Put winter clothes back into closet from spare room
[] Clean the wall vent
[] Sort the jewellery box (this is the bonus points one!)
[x] Deep clean the room

[x] Update the presents list
[] Decide on location for the Holidays - know we'll be in MIL's for DD's birthday but where on Christmas Day itself? - Discussions are ongoing!! Still....
[] Write a master crafting list, to ensure nothing gets forgotten and I have time for it all
[] Buy the Wii for DH (and family) present, before it goes up in price
[] Add a few more items into the food drives box
[] Check the battery stocks and add a few (I think I need AAA, AA and C sizes) – perhaps this year I’ll get a rechargeable set!
[] WORK on the crafts
[] Check latest mailing times for abroad (for cards)

[] Sew DD's pillow cover (need some backing fabric for the pillow cover as not enough patterned fabric left)
[] Sew DD's Christmas PJs
[] Sew 3 crayon rolls (already cut out)
[] Sew 2 makeup brush rolls
[] Sew Dollie clothes (one or two outfits, depending on time)
[] Make 3 cards

[] Harvest vegetables from the plot, and continue getting it covered for winter
[xx] Keep working on emptying freezer before a re-stock (and the cupboards too)
[] Pay house insurance
[] Pay for DD's afterschool activities
[] Talk to bank about new chequebook
[] Make doctor's appointment

Someone mentioned this morning that I might get the Wii a bit cheaper up North, so I am going to check that out and use the excuse of going "food shopping" to DH. But that means I have to expedite the emptying of freezer and cupboards. But I AM making progress there. (And I DID check out prices over the weekend, so I think I know where to go for the best price here - will see tonight if it's worth postponing or not).

Luckily I don't need to replace any linens, as I still haven't done the batteries. But I should get out at lunchtime tomorrow so will do that then.

My list looks horrenduous this week, but there are a few "reminders" there that are easy to do (but also easy to forget). And I actually managed to get a good few things done this weekend already on this room.

So I hope to get crafting and/or sorting winter clothes at least 2 evenings this week, which would see a lot more progress made and me very happy!! (And if not, I am happy that I have already made progress).

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Hello all! :)

I am doing okay on the HGP so far. Not great, but okay!

Last week I subbed the Sunroom for the Foyer/Entry Way and although I did not get through my whole list, it does look alot better out there!

I'm going to live with it and play catch up as I can during the weeks designated for just that on the HGP!

This weekend was rough for us - DH and I both came down with the stomach flu and missed our camping trip we've been looking forward to for so long! As it was, I didn't get along done on our bedroom yesterday, but I did make a start!

My dresser has been emptied, sorted and refilled. Some items stored for when I lose weight, some put aside for a garage sale.

DH's dresser was done a few weeks ago so it just needed touching up.

Closet was organized about a month ago so that made it alot easier to deal with. Clothes were all I needed to tackle - shoes and other storage are all nice and neat and labeled!

Summer clothes are moved to the off season closets. Remaining items are sorted by style and color.

Switched out bedding too - summer is down in laundry to be washed/put away and fall/winter is out!

All I have left to do now is the cleaning - which I will try to do - energy permitting during the evenings this week. :)

I will have to review holiday tasks again - I know I am falling behind there!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Snickerdoodle-
I like the idea of the spreadsheet. You can make a tab for each room.

Wings- WOW! You have a lot! Keep us posted on your progress.

GREAT job everyone!

Annie

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
It's week 4 and I've done NOTHING. How's that for a bad start. But I'm rationalizing this a bit since I've done all this work in my basement and family room. That pretty much marks off my craft/office/work area and family room all in one. So when I put the furniture back this week, the area is decluttered and good to go. I'll just need to catch up with the outside work on my front and back porch. But I usually don't do that the first week anyways, becuase it doesn't really fit there! So I'm thinking positive. I am going to do my room for sure this week. Tonight and tomorrow, I'm not watching DWTS unless I"m cleaning my room!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
[] Sort through DD's books in Living room and her bedroom
[x] Bring another load to storage unit (There's only about 3/4 left in the attic so getting there)
[x] Change sheets and flip mattress on bed
[x] Wash mattress protector
[x] Check winter weight duvet is cleaned, ready to put on
[x] Clear off dressingtable clutter
[x] Put remainder of summer clothes away (preferably into storage unit) - will move to storage as part of item 2 above
[x] Sort socks etc drawer so I can find things
[] Sort PJs/Tshirts drawer
[x] Sort jumpers drawer (and put winter jumpers in again)
[x] Put winter clothes back into closet from spare room
[] Clean the wall vent
[] Sort the jewellery box (this is the bonus points one!)
[x] Deep clean the room

[x] Update the presents list
[] Decide on location for the Holidays - know we'll be in MIL's for DD's birthday but where on Christmas Day itself? - Discussions are ongoing!! Still....
[] Write a master crafting list, to ensure nothing gets forgotten and I have time for it all
[] Buy the Wii for DH (and family) present, before it goes up in price
[xx] Add a few more items into the food drives box
[] Check the battery stocks and add a few (I think I need AAA, AA and C sizes) – perhaps this year I’ll get a rechargeable set!
[] WORK on the crafts
[] Check latest mailing times for abroad (for cards)

[] Sew DD's pillow cover (need some backing fabric for the pillow cover as not enough patterned fabric left)
[] Sew DD's Christmas PJs
[] Sew 3 crayon rolls (already cut out)
[] Sew 2 makeup brush rolls
[] Sew Dollie clothes (one or two outfits, depending on time)
[] Make 3 cards

[x] Harvest vegetables from the plot, and continue getting it covered for winter
[xx] Keep working on emptying freezer before a re-stock (and the cupboards too)
[x] Pay house insurance
[x] Pay for DD's afterschool activities
[] Talk to bank about new chequebook
[x] Make doctor's appointment

Made some progress, but I think I am falling behind on the crafting front in particular.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I got nuttin' done in this room! Why is it that I think my room isn't important? Gotta make this a priority, sometime...

Once this room is done the rest of the house will follow. Do it for yourself, you deserve it.