Week Five: House Room Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm coming along. I'm feeling a bit stressed because we've had SO many school & sport activities and other odd things so my routine schedule is a bit off kilter. And I'm log-jammed on a few house projects. Need a few free days to bust through it all. Hoping to get those this coming week. Practicing my deep breathing. I'm going to keep my ongoing list of things I've missed and think that will help keep me on track for Christmas.

It really helps me to check in on this board and get my list sorted out.

Had a little lightbulb moment this week in that I'm no longer going to try to do FlyLady AND the Houseworks Cleaning Zone at the same time. Kinda defeats the point of FlyLady and is why I do Houseworks instead of Grand Plan in the first place. Too much going on this year in terms of house construction to make that work. Instead I'm going to stick to my FlyLady schedule and use the Houseworks Cleaning Area of the week to instead simply BRAINSTORM & TROUBLESHOOT so that I'm ready to tackle it when that area comes around physically each month on my FlyLady schedule. I think that will work better for me. But the Houseworks Holiday path is critical to my sanity. That part stays as is. :)

To Do this Week:
• Guest Room -- Figure out a new dresser. Ponder & Shop for artwork/decor items.
• FlyLady Zone of Week -- Great Room (in good shape), Garden shrubs purchased (which is one of my big projects so perfect timing for that one!)
• FlyLady work-ahead for next week -- Entries (since I'll be out of town), Take out Autumn decor.

Need to Catch Up
•Tackle huge inventory of unfinished house projects -- Ongoing til Thanksgiving.
•Christmas cards -- Take photo and order cards.
•Work on Kodak Photo Books so can order during Oct discount. (Groan!)
•Get a lock for gift closet. (Might just be "loss of presents if opened") ;-)
•Get moving on buying Stuffers.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I was thinking that this week would be a fairly easy one as our Rec Room is in good shape. As I took a good look around I realized that it needs a good cleaning. So, it looks like it won't be as easy as I thought.

I am already behind in my cards, so I have to make 6 this week.

CraftyLady

Retire Member
Apr 4, 2011
I'm doing pretty good with the plan. I cleaned the spare bedroom 2 Mondays ago when I had a free afternoon unexpectedly. I also did the upstairs hallway and stairs and I finished cleaning all the upstairs carpets. Last weekend I did the living room because that was the last room with carpet that I had to clean. I'm going to try to jump ahead again and clean the downstairs bathroom today because it's the laundry room. Then next week I can just go through the closets and bureaus for wardrobe week. I cleaned the freezer and most of the fridge when we got home from grocery shopping this weekend. I have to clean the drawers and door. Maybe I'll get to that later too.

kringle

Premiere Member
Sep 9, 2011
I haven't done anything in a week & a half. My mom fell and broke a few bones in her foot and two in her neck. She is doing very well and I hope to be able to get her moved soon to a rehab center so she can begin the healing process and start physical therapy. I have been down here in the valley trying to be helpful. It's been complicated by having my 14 yr old DD (who is fortunately being homeschooled this year so she's been able to keep up) and my 21 mo old DGD who is staying with us for a few months. I am so glad I could be here for this, but between you and me, I can't wait to get home and get back to normal. I'm not far off on my lists and have been able to get alot of knitting done that I'll use for Christmas gifts. I won't post a list unless I do get to go home this week. Take care.

Cindasnow

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
This past week was actually one of my best weeks for getting things done. We got almost everything done in the girls' rooms. I just have to clean off the game shelves. This week I don't have a guest room so I am hoping to catch up on areas I am behind and also work ahead in the closets and laundry room. Next week I am running a book fair at my girls' school so I will be home very little and when I am I will probably be exhausted and just need to be. SO hopefully this week will be successful.

This week:
()Girls' game shelf
()Catch up on my bedroom
()Laundry room
()DD5 closet

Holiday prep:
()Gift crafting

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I had some free time this afternoon, so I cleaned the Rec Room.

I moved the furniture out and vacuumed and mopped. I climbed up the step ladder and dusted all of those hard to reach places.

I dusted all of the pictures on the walls - there are a lot!!

I also vacuumed and mopped the stairs and the landing at the bottom of the stairs.

Now, I just need to get working on those cards.

How is everyone doing this week?

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
My mom is here this month, so she's been a huge help - especially this week since I have been crazy busy at work going through an audit.

Our guest room is in good shape (mom took out the fall bedding, but it's been too hot here this week to use it!) I still need to go through my DS(6)'s closet, but we are thinking about switching the boys' rooms, so I'll wait a bit longer.

Other than that, my Christmas prep is on hold this week. I have made all travel arrangements for December, so that is a big checkmark on my list!!!

It sounds like everyone is making good progress...keep up the great work!

CraftyLady

Retire Member
Apr 4, 2011
It seems the old two steps forward one step back thing is happening to me. I did get the downstairs bath cleaned this week and I finished cleaning the fridge, but yesterday when the contractor was working on adding roof support for the 3 season porch in the wall somehow a hole and a bulge appeared in our bedroom wall. Now he has a drywall guy coming to fix it tomorrow, but I already cleaned that room (in a whiny voice). Not to mention I just finished cleaning the carpets. I hope the guy won't mind taking his shoes off. I'm thinking about trying to tape off the area with plastic like a "kill room" from the show Dexter. We'll see how horrible it is tomorrow, I might be recleaning the master bedroom this week. One good thing is that it wasn't in the kitchen (below the bedroom) because I have wallpaper in there and I don't know if I have enough leftover to fix that. Good luck cleaning this weekend! Hope no one else has any setbacks.