Week One - Planning and Paperwork

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
My tasks for this week:

1. Go through last year's receipts
2. Declutter my file cabinet
3. Complete "Family Value's" worksheet
3. Set up holiday budget

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanks for starting this thread Mel!

I will try to focus on the following:
- Clear out paperwork on the kitchen counter
- Clear out more magazines
- Make list of what needs to be done until Christmas: cleaning, renovating, decluttering, Christmas preps, Halloween preps, go over gift list, elf gift list, gifts to buy for bdays until Christmas, etc...

FireWolf

Retire Member
Aug 31, 2008
My goals for this week:

Deep clean the computer nook
-remove any cobwebs from ceiling and walls
-clean radiator
-clean window inside and out
-empty, clean & return bookcase items
-empty, clean & return printer cabinet items
-empty, clean & return secretary items
-scrub floor
-move last year's files to long-term filing cabinet

Decorating, christmas cards and planning
-pick fall deco projects(5)
-complete 1 fall deco project
-make 9 Christmas cards
-gather and refresh address book
-prepare holiday budget
-start gift list

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
thanks Mel I am going to link this to the Holiday Grand plan thread if you don't mind. I know I do a combo of both.

My goal is to clean out and refile the bill folder and clean my craft side of the built ins. It's become a catch all again.

Also work on my lists, esp of things to make and what kind of things I will need for that.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
New order

The whole idea and inspiration of this plan is based upon developing a New Order of housekeeping skills and habits. In years past, I’d read the book and actually did it, exactly the way I did things in the past……………………tried to do it all at one time and bit off more than I could chew. Oh, I got it done alright but there wasn’t much of me or a happy me when all was said and done. I was exhausted and wanted to snap off someone’s head for daring to actually move or do anything to undo my hard work. I then felt like maybe this wasn’t the plan for me so I’ve jumped around to the HGP, CC and different ones that I could find. None of them worked for me because I wanted to do it all at once or nothing at all as though I was in a race.

All weekend I began feeling a bit disillusioned because on the HGP there was no way I was going to get my front porch/entrance done in 107º. Then I realized that the front porch isn’t the problem nor is the various plans that OC has graciously offered for us; IT”S ME failing to develop a NEW ORDER.

This brought me right back to HHP……………………right back to the basics. I guess with age comes wisdom. No matter what plan I’d use, if I continued doing things the exact same way, it was a certainty that I would continue to get the exact same results.

So, in my newfound wisdom I’ve decided to go back and very carefully reread, ONLY the assigned pages. You know me, I would have read the whole book to win the perceived race. LOL
This is MY plan to developing a NEW ORDER in my home and life.

Know your enemy: I’m a perfectionist/ procrastinator. Action – ONLY 15 minutes of doing/5 minutes putting away.

First lesson is implementing:
S-sort
T-toss
O-organize
P-put away

Items needed:
•Timer
•3 Boxes (Sell, Donate, Put Away)
•Trash bag or can

Focus this week:
Budget- Done
Savings Plan – Will set up Tuesday to begin Jan 06, 2011
Master Gift List – In Progress
Office/Paperwork/Planning

PLAN TO SUCCEED
Daily:
*Do 15 Minute S.T.O.P. session at least 3 per day
*Check cleaned areas of New Order daily to keep them in order.
SUNDAY: I spent about 1 hour total doing 15 minute increments on and off throughout this evening SORTING in my multipurpose room (office/laundry room/craft room).
MONDAY-WEDNESDAY-FRIDAY:
*Continue S.T.O.P. on all horizontal surfaces
TUESDAY-THURSDAY
*Finish reading assignments
*Restructure filing system
*Revise Notebook
SATURDAY
*Use the oosouji tradition, as mentioned on page 29, of finishing up all unfinished tasks for this week. This gives me the flexibility of allowing for interruptions during the week that may prevent me from completely each day’s goals. I also have many unfinished gift projects that I’m working on and on this day I would like to devote time to working on those as well.

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I am also doing a sort of combination of both plans. I am pretty happy with what I got done today. My planning and paperwork was already done. I have been keeping up with that on Rudy days. I concentrated on the entry ways into the house.

*Cleared toys, leaves, weeds and cobwebs in the areas around the front porch and back deck.
*Wiped down the patio table.
*Swept off the porch and deck areas.
*Swept the outdoor chairs clean of leaves and debris and wiped them down.
*Wiped down the front and back doors, door frames and cleaned the door windows.
*PAINTED the very weathered and distressed looking wooden rocking chair that is on my front porch. :D That rocker has been on my list FOREVER and I have been "meaning to" get around to it. Today, I decided-- JUST DO IT, ALREADY. Made do with some paint I already had in the garage and it actually looks pretty nice!

As for the home office, computer desk, etc. I sorted through and clipped a mess of coupons from the last 2 weeks. They are divided into main categories like grocery, HBA and restaurants and ready to be filed away tomorrow. Then, I told hubby to clean up/organize the bill paying area. lol Yeah, right:rolleyes: I knew that wasn't going to happen...so, I'll be working on that tomorrow along with the office and school supplies that need to be weeded through and organized.

Laney

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Hey there! I've got a thread going on over on MMC but I want to follow here too! The more support, the better! I am getting a late start this week due to a baby shower and birthday dinner yesterday. I am headed off to work now, but I'll be back later tonight to check in with my list for this week!

~Laney

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
I'm also one who is combining the HGP and HHP plans.

For the HHP this week, I am sorting out my filing cabinet. Yesterday (Sunday) I emptied the top drawer (there are two drawers), after the other drawer is sorted I'll be relabeling the files and putting everything back. It will be such a relief to have this done. At the moment, it's a crazy mess!!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
……………………tried to do it all at one time and bit off more than I could chew. Oh, I got it done alright but there wasn’t much of me or a happy me when all was said and done. I was exhausted and wanted to snap off someone’s head for daring to actually move or do anything to undo my hard work.

Yup Yup Yup! That used to be me also! I'm better now but it is always a struggle to manage my inner perfectionist. I mix FlyLady and HHP (during the season) and I still have to force myself to STOP when I am supposed to.

My mission for the week (and I'll come back and update my results):

1. Flylady ongoing for week. (The kids always help now)
2. Order new Address Labels and decide on photo cards - My #1 Procrastination item!
3. Christmas List & Budget -- Updated in Excel yesterday.
4. Find new wood file cabinets for our office desk. (Been looking for months. Ugh!)
5. Review Holiday Notebook (now kept on computer in Microsoft OneNote)
6. Savings set aside at Bank -- Done a few days ago.
7. Read Declutter 101 section again thoroughly. Little DD getting assigned junk drawers to declutter while watching Disney Channel. I'm doing the attic (for present stashing)
8. Paper Piles -- I have 2 big ones from end of school last year. Yep, see #7 and do whatever that says.

9. Fun Part: Paint stairwell that yummy chocolate brown. Can't wait!

Laney

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Okay, so I'm finally getting to work this week. I'll be signing off here and heading into my home office space. Oh gracious! I'm nervous. My previous cleaning method for this room has included: close.the.door. But I am not going to freak out. This room will be one major lesson in S.T.O.P.

I'm going to spend today in 30 min increments doing the STOP method in the room. I may not get through the whole room this week, but that is okay - This room includes both the home office and creative space area, so I've got two weeks to not only clean, but get this room looking awesome.

Once I complete the STOP method in the room, we'll make sure the filing cabinets are in order and clean off the desk. The light fixture will need to be cleaned. I'll do a good sweep for cobwebs and then a thorough floor cleaning.

After that, will be re-doing all of the room. We have paint all ready to paint that room and if I can find a new desk that will suit all of our stuff and give us more room off of craigslist, then I'll try to do that. Then I'll be setting up an organized place for any of the craft stuff that I do keep from the STOP sessions.

This may sound a little unrealistic, but like I said, I do have 2 weeks for this project and it has been a long time coming.

As for holiday prep - I'll be following the check list for this week:
- Make the promise to spend a little time each day preparing for Christmas
- Setup a Christmas Planner
- Complete the “Family Values Check-up”
- Setup a Christmas activity center
- Establish a holiday budget
- Consider setting up a Christmas savings plan
- Begin master gift list

Here goes!
~Laney

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Good luck, Laney!!

Don't forget to give us a progress report. Hearing how everyone is doing is a real motivator!!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I have had a productive morning.

I went through my file cabinet and last year's Christmas receipts and shredded a pile of stuff. I printed off some forms I had forgotten about and filled out the Holiday Values worksheet.

The only thing left to do is write out a holiday budget. I am the one that usually does this, but this year DH is going to be involved. He needs to see how much money there is and where it needs to go otherwise we end up going over budget. ;)

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I went back through the bill file. I have a muliti pocket folder and sometimes I end up just stuffing the bills in there so I sorted them and put old bills in the shreader box. Sorted all the bills and put them back in order. That was my main goal for the paperwork section.
NOw i am really behind on my coupons also so I want to finish getting that back in order b/c I need to shop this wknd.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
How is everyone doing on week 1's assignments? Tonight I will finish reading the assigned pages in my House Works book. I will attempt to begin sorting the piles of papers into manageable/fileable stacks. My new order went extremely well Monday. Today was wrought with interruptions but that is to be expected since I'm dealing with caring for both sets of parents with serious health conditions. I have a very loving and understanding husband so that helps. On top of all this I enrolled to begin my college online courses on Sept. 21st. Yes, I think I've officially lost my little mind. LOL Seriously, I would have never considered it had it not been for HHP and the love and support from people like you that share the same situations as I do and manage so well.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I'll be taking Accounting.

I just re-read Information Central, specifically pages 228-229, and they clearly repeat the mantra that "To File" folders are invitations to chaos and enemies of an organized home office. Yet on the very next page "An Action File" it states that you should have a tabletop file with folders labeled
"To do"
"To Pay"
"To File"

Now the question is: Should we have a "To File" folder or not? It cannot be both.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I'll be taking Accounting.

I just re-read Information Central, specifically pages 228-229, and they clearly repeat the mantra that "To File" folders are invitations to chaos and enemies of an organized home office. Yet on the very next page "An Action File" it states that you should have a tabletop file with folders labeled
"To do"
"To Pay"
"To File"

Now the question is: Should we have a "To File" folder or not? It cannot be both.

I have a To File folder both at home and work...the rule (for me) is that it has to be emptied at the end of the week...so that it is ready for the next week. That means Friday afternoon I spend a few minutes filing at the office and usually Sunday afternoons at home. It really helps to stay on top of it.

My problem is our filing system at home. 2 years ago DH asked for his home office to be "clean swept" for Christmas. That's all he wanted. Since I was 6 months pregnant, I enlisted my mom & brother to help. We painted and repurposed some pieces from around the house (bookshelf, dresser, dining table for a desk) and pulled it all together. Previously we used two old and mismatched metal filing cabinets that we both hated. To replace them I bought faux leather filing boxes at home goods. They look great, but since they are stacked, it's a pain to move all the boxes to get the one you need...I really miss drawers! I may have to replace them this year.

This week I need to go back through my tear files and PURGE! My desk is pretty neat, as long as you don't look in my holiday binders or file box! I also have to update a few addresses on my card list - I need DH's help since several are his friends. The rest of my paperwork is in order for the plan!

great job everyone! Let's keep up the good work and continue to inspire each other!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Colleen-

I need to update, redo my filing system.

I want to get a nice cherry wood filing cabinet.

Annie