Week One - Planning & Paperwork

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Hooray!! It is starting! I'm SO excited!! Once the kiddos get back in school on Tuesday I am ALL OVER that office. Have been streamlining a bit through the summer and will be updating my digital Christmas notebook, printing return address labels, and doing all things paper. Also continuing with FlyLady (which got very behind over the summer) and the Declutter Club.

Jennifer73

Retire Member
Aug 7, 2013
Ontario, Canada
So excited to start this plan for the first time.

Heading into the office now to clear the remaining piles of paper and then put the stuff that's still in the hallway/dining area away.

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
Yay! It's here!

I've gone over my "work" paperwork today. I've updated my system to keep track of my licenses and certifications (I have multiple and each have different requirements and due dates). Yesterday I completed the medical paperwork filing. I'll take a look at my notebook tomorrow to see what else is on the list, but I feel much more in control just getting those things done.

Happy2beme, cindylouwho, and Jennifer73, I'm so excited to be on this journey with you.

Funny that Flylady was mentioned. I used to get her emails about 11 years ago. I have routines and zones set up, but still get distracted and let things fall through the cracks. I know that if those things were given priority, my House and Holiday plan would be more "holiday" and less "house". LOL

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm in the this plan. I looked over the two plans and thought this sounded good. I tend to mix the two plans together after awhile. I read what the other one is doing and jump tracks sometimes. lol

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
It is so great to read everyone's posts. I just love this plan.

I have lots to do this week:

- organize my file cabinet
- put a notebook in my purse with all my lists
- fill in my family values worksheet
- set up my budget
- make my Master Gift list

I set up my entire Christmas notebook on my computer this year. The kids said they can't believe they won't see me dragging around my red binder anymore!! I need to make sure I have all the categories I need on my computer.

I am going to be busy this week!!

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Tomorrow "Labor Day" will be my first day off in a very long time. I couldn't think of a better way to spend my day than kicking off the HHP with all the encouragement and support that this wonderful group has to offer.

My goal is not to kill myself trying to conquer the whole thing in one day and actually follow the plan doing a specific number of tasks each week. I printed off my lists tonight.

Since Monday is my day off I plan to:

[X] Clean off my desk (It's atrocious)
[ ] Redo my entire filing system (In Progress)
[X] Get the mail off of the breakfast table
[ ] Move all the business Christmas décor to the business (Started raining)
[ ] Set up my gift wrapping center & gift closet (In Progress)

It's a lot for one day but when you own a restaurant that is open 7 days a week you try to make the most of every second of "home" time.

Best of luck everyone!

Last edited:

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
I am very excited for this to begin, will be spending my day de-cluttering my paper. I am usually very paper free, but with all that has been going on this past 2 months, I've let the receipts and non urgent mail pile up, will be going through that today!

Love this plan as well as the HGP, like Ahorsesoul, I will be doing this one mainly and combining it with HGP. I love the holiday prep of HGP, but really don't need the cleaning part of if, since the Fly Lady came on the scene years ago.

Let the Plans Begin!!!

~ Farmerswife

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
It is so great to read everyone's posts. I just love this plan.

I have lots to do this week:

- organize my file cabinet
- put a notebook in my purse with all my lists
- fill in my family values worksheet
- set up my budget
- make my Master Gift list

I set up my entire Christmas notebook on my computer this year. The kids said they can't believe they won't see me dragging around my red binder anymore!! I need to make sure I have all the categories I need on my computer.

I am going to be busy this week!!

Did you use One Note?

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm about to relaunch the Digital Notebook thread. Give me a few minutes to comment on it. This is how I spent my lazy Labor Day morning. Getting the digital Christmas Notebook started again.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Cindylouwho, I looked over there and I can tell I'm digitally lost. Just not enough hours in my day to explore it all. *Sigh*

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
I'm old school and have all my lists, calendars, schedules in an Excel workbook on my computer. I just copy last year's for the new year and update the pages. I have everything color coded, with festive fonts and I love it. I don't use a pad or smartphone.

I do have a paper calendar/planner which I carry around with me so I can keep track of DH's gig schedule in addition to my schedule. When gigs come up I can pull it out and check what's already on the calendar. I just can't read those little devices, lol. My paper notebook binder is ready too, so I can check off things with a pen, and have a place to put receipts, labels, etc.

All my paperwork and files were done in the last few weeks so I am in good shape there.

I have a preliminary budget but no idea on gifts yet. DS usually gives me a list in October, emailed, complete with links. I usually give cash gifts to the nieces and nephews. I've been saving each month too so I think they are all covered.

Hoping I can keep on track because I remember very clearly the past few years how crazy it got after Thanksgiving!

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Darn, there just isn't enough hours, or energy, in my one day off, but what I did get accomplished has certainly made a big impact.

So how is everyone else progressing?

I'm looking forward to the digital notebook thread.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
I went through and organized and cleaned out all the paper and my filing system. I am still deciding whether to revamp my filing system. My list are all made in my computer notebook, I just want to tweak a few things and I'll be all set. I still do need to put up my autumn decorations, but the store I buy my mums from won't have them until Wednesday of this week. So, it looks like I will be doing that towards the end of the week.

~Farmerswife

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
HHP/HGP Fillable Forms

Last year I seemed to remember that work was being done to make the pdf forms "fillable" so that you could fill in the information before printing it off for your notebook. I can do this in Windows 8 but not here in my older Windows 7 computer. There is a Pay feature that will convert the files to Word or Excel but I wasn't wanting to spend the money for a monthly subscription for this feature. Am I missing something or was I just having a good wishful thinking dream? LOL

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I filled out the family values worksheet and got my budget done.

How is everyone doing so far?

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Thanks for the link. I prefer the neatness of computer generated forms over handwritten.

Well, I did finish payroll for the week...........does that count. LOL

I brought everything with me to the restaurant to work on it today and not five minutes after arriving I noticed the place filling with smoke. Within minutes the fire alarm was blaring. Our hood system malfunctioned sending all the smoke back into the restaurant. Of course all this happened within 5 minutes of opening. We had to close the restaurant, deal with the fire department, the insurance company, send home employees, call all those scheduled for later in the day and wait for the hood system people to call us back....................all the while the fire alarm is still blaring throughout the building. Hours later my son finally disconnected the fire alarm since there was no fire. The hood system people can't come out until Friday so this means we are closed for 2 more days. I hurried up and got payroll out of the way so maybe tomorrow I can focus on getting my personal paperwork and files in order. LOL Talk about going about it the hard way here!