Week Two HGP 9/4 Living Room & "Questions" We

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Hi everyone!

So week two - living room week.

For me that means decluttering and sorting the tv cabinet - mainly DVD's. I'm sure there are a few kids DVD's which are scratched beyond use (my toddler likes to put them in the player herself... doesn't always go so well...), and also some which are just outgrown.

Apart from that, it's the usual washing windows, couch covers, mopping etc. I am waiting for the insurance money to come through to, then I will be able to replace the floor coverings. It won't be this week though! Should at least be before Christmas :)

Have a great (and productive) week everyone!!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
WingedOne I am bowing at your feet as I write this. What a list you have.

I got my balcony (Porch week) done over the holiday weekend and my lists are finished. Time to move on to this weeks activities.

* Vacuum and shampoo sofa and chairs
x polished furniture
* clean verticle blinds. I really would like some new ones. Maybe I'll have a word with the rental office.
* clean inside patio doors/windows. Started to do this when I cleaned the outside but got lazy. LOL
* take down curtains to wash then rehang.
* take summer throws off chairs to wash and put away
* vacuum. I'm always doing this
x wipe down baseboards
x dust off frames of wall art.
* sort paper I found stuffed inside the tv cabinet. Don't even remember doing that. Haha
* dust silk flower arrangements. Always seem to forget those.
* put in some fresh oil scented plug-ins
* answer hgp questions

I usually put up my fall decor as I do each area but I am going to wait until the end of the month.

My best friend called me yesterday to see if this year's Christmas Eve dinner was happening. First I laughed and then asked what she's drinking and to put the glass down. Apparently she and her husband bought me a Mrs. Claus outfit for the occasion.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Thanks aggy! I need to take my silk flowers outside for a wash.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Work has taken over for a few days, didn't even have time to read the board this morning, Tomorrow afternoon it should start to slow down. Holidays always throw the schedule off around here and takes a few days for everything to get caught up. Enjoy your day. ~ Farmerswife

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I've put a few pictures on the wall in the living room today. Dusted above the fireplace (has my wooden box collect and a few elephants on top). I'll have my dh clean the mirrors that are on the wall over the fireplace. My arms will not reach. lol

I'd like to finish with the vacuuming but haven't the energy today. A little each day and it will be done by the end of the week.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Puffy or straight at the top curtain? Your vote counts!

Picked up new curtains for the Living room. Should I keep the curtains straight at the top or make them puffy? Pinned up the curtains on one side to look at for awhile. What do you think? Funny how dirty the mirrors look in the photo. Still I have the Windex out for dh.

http://magicalholidayhome.com/forum/album.php?albumid=42&pictureid=417

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Well, I actually like them both, the puffy is more formal, but the straight while being more casual is also more contemporary. So... I guess if it were in my home I would go with the straight because I like casual. :) ~ Farmerswife

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i got new living room furniture. son painted living room so all looks nice. i cleaned blinds and windows put up new curtains. been wanted to changed living room. put out some fall decor . got some spice candles. did the front porch yesterday . got my pumpkins on the porch getting some mums this weeknd. so looking fwd to fall.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Ahorsesoul, I like the puffy...but they make it look more formal...so if casual is what you want...go with straight.

I have put out a few fall things, but I seem to have hit a funk...got to get out of that. Maybe I can work on it tomorrow night and Saturday...going to the game Friday.

horsemama

MHH Member
Jun 22, 2011
Wanted to start on the living room tonight, but it will have to wait a bit. It's been raining ever since last night, and I have a leak in my bedroom ceiling, must be coming thru the venting on the peak of the house. It's a drip, drip, drip. My nephew will fix it, bless his heart, but we have to wait til it stops raining, which might be Saturday? Holy smokes. He says if it starts to sag, poke a small hole in it otherwise it might bust thru and then we'll have to replace two sheets of drywall up there. Just what I needed...

I have a fall decoration on my front door...that's something, eh?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Less work with straight curtains. And now I can always change them later. Thanks.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Boy am I backwards. Yesterday after work I went home with the intentions of working on the livingroom but instead I found myself working in the bathroom. I cleaned the entire bathroom from top to bottom. The only thing left to do is put up fresh linen. I guess I'll just go ahead and decorate that room for fall. But first I need to stop and pick up a new clear shower liner before I hang up the curtain.

Ahorsesoul they do look pretty puffy, but they look nice straight also. Oh I can't decide. :)

Housewife I was in Walmart the other day and was looking at the pretty mums. However they hadn't bloomed yet. I bought some like that a few years ago and only a very small number of the flowers bloomed. I'm not good with live plants. I will wait til I see some already in bloom and get a few for my balcony.

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I did a little work in the living room. Dusted and reorganized the year round village (tea light farmhouse, barn, church and lighthouse) before putting out the fall themed house. Hung two fall wreaths one on the door and one inside. Took down the summer wreath and the few summer decor items I have. Pulled out the fall candles harvest, pumkin pie, apple etc. and the tealight/tart fall themed burners from Yankee candle...not sure what those are even called. But I love them and have plain ones for year round, along with the fall and winter themed pairs. Went through the magazine rack and the DVDs. Pulled a few things to put in the garage sale. I think tonight I will delegate and put the youngest on dusting what I didn't get to and let the teens move and vacuum under the furniture.

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
I was able to get most of the living room done. I just love vacuuming everything and putting it back, especially the wall art. I still need to go through the entertainment center and clean out too little side cabinets. I need to do a little touch up painting on the window frame. We had to have part of our picture window replaced because there was a little leak and it was fogging up. Are we lucky we did it early this summer. I'm afraid to think what could have happened with all this rain! It's so good to read about everyone's accomplishments!

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
I thought I was sooooo behind until Dh asked me today if he could rearrange the Family room. Of Course!!!! We did and cleaned under everything etc. Thanks to his help I am back on schedule. Still have to wash windows but then I'm finished. I'm trading this room for the living room this week.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Just think of all the living rooms around the world that are being cleaned!!!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I'm actually on track this time. I did the back porch last weekend, and I did the living room on Monday. It does need a good mopping, but I've even decorated the mantle for fall. It's an "early fall" look, though...it'll need more decorations as the season progresses. We are having fabulous early fall weather=very very unusual for September in Arkansas-so I'm enjoying it and making the most of the energy it creates! Good job, everyone!!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Dreamto that's great you were able to get back on track. Cathymac I wish we had that weather. All of that rain we had this week, it was still hot out. I am going to finish my living room today. I had planned to get on it yesterday but ended up with a few girlfriends coming over for good food, wine and great conversation.