What books can you read over and over again?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have two. One is Gone with the Wind. I read it almost every year. The book I have was given to my Dad by his mother. Very sentimental. Very sill Scarlet but still a great read. I've also read the sequels to it: 'Scarlett' and 'Rhett Butler's people' both interesting but HEA books. I like how Gone with the Wind ends so abruptly.

The other is a off the wall book about two people in the Special Forces. One of the best love stories I've read. Just not for everyone since it's very blood and guts, graphic and about alternative life styles.

Since my stroke I do find I can read books over again and do not realize it until I'm half way or more along in the book. Same with movies. lol

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I can re-read:

Little Women
Lonesome Dove

And the ones from my childhood really pull to me. I think they bring me comfort:

I love, love, love the Little House books. Right now I'm trying to get my friend's 9 year old daughter to read through them with me. Our own little book club. But, she's not a reader so doesn't seem as enthralled as me.

And The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe- I love it- especially when they first enter Narnia.

Annie

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I don't often re-read books. But I have a book called Amy's Eyes I have read several times and DS12 has it in his room, I should re read that. It's about a girl in a orphanage who has a sailor doll that comes alive and goes off to sea. There he has a crew of stuff animals come alive, she becomes a doll.... Go figure it's a sea/pirate story.

i also bought Treasure Island to re read recently. It was in the dollar spot at Target.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I love the Narnia series too. I kick myself every time I think about the time I gave away the set I had. It was printed in England and the pictures were outstanding.

I do not think I've read Lonesome Dove. I should order it. Liked the movies.

Little House books. Do not think I've ever read them. Didn't like the show at all. lol And I live close the area where she live. I stopped at the house on the property were she was born. Maybe I should read the books.

I always like the Boxcar children books as a child. My favorite children's books were the Black Station series. I had the whole set. In my early twenty we put these books into my mom's car trunk to move them. It rained that night. There were inches of water in the trunk when we opened it the next day. Never had leaked before and never did again. We tossed the books. They were soaked. I still moan the loss.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Ahorsesoul- The little house books aren't really like the show.
The basis of the show came from the books but that's really it.

The books go through the many moves of the Ingalls family. One book is about Laura Ingall's husband as a little boy. The heart and soul of the family is what I love and also reading about life as a pioneer. And the illustrations by Garth Williams- I just love.

That is so sad about those books getting ruined. I can see why your heart would be broken- especially for someone that loves books as you do.

Lonesome Dove- Oh my gosh- an expansive, beautiful book. It's a Western but never felt like it to me.

Piratemama- That Amy's Eyes books sound interesting too.

Another one of my all time fav's from when I was a kid is Where the Red Fern Grows but I've never had the heart to re-read it as an adult. I should do that, though.

Annie

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I usually don't read novels twice or watch movies twice. You gals have some good choices though.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I have read the At Home in Mitford series twice. I love the characters.
It is about a minister and his life in a small town.

I also like the Anne of Green Gables series.

My favorite childhood books were the Bobbsey Twins. My mom got one for me to read over the summer.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I love rereading books!
My favorites are the HPotter series and the Children of the Earth Series. I reread those almost every year. I loved the Little house series but I don`t own those, guess I should try to get a copy, same with the Anne of Green Gables series.

I think I`ll reread the twilight series this fall.

I also like Small Miracles by Halbertham, Yitta & Laventhal Judith. This book is different and very interesting - I recommend it. Annie you would love this.
http://www.amazon.com/Small-Miracles-Extraordinary-Coincidences-Everyday/dp/1558506462

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I have read the mitford series also, they were good and alot of the Janett Oke books.

Annie-I read that book, not sure I could reread it either.

Lisa-I don't often read book or re watch movies either. There are a few movies I can more than once but don't often watch/read things over and over either.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Pride and Prejudice....I find the classics I can read over and over.
I just read Little Women for the first time....I can see why so many of you can read it over and over. My daughter (I read it out loud to her) wasn't the biggest fan, but she's only 8 months old, so I'll give it time.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
The Hobbit, The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan, Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter Series, Mitford Series...:snowman2:So many books, so little time!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I ordered the first book of the Wheel of time series.

The Children of the Earth I've read several times.

And the Outlander series. Just a few years ago I decided to read the whole series in order. Oh my. Why I did this sitting in bed I do not know. My hips starting hurting so bad I had to do physical therapy. All from reading. lol

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
My favorite book is To Kill a Mockingbird...I can't count how many times I've read it since I was 8.

I also re-read A Christmas Carol every year and one book for Halloween. Ive read Dracula, Frankenstein, Phantom of the Opera, the Invisible Man, Dr. jeckyll and MR. Hyde several times each.

One book I could re-read over and over is Pride & Prejudice...watching the BBC version with Colin Firth isn't bad either! ;)

I am looking forward to re-reading the Harry Potter series with my sons...the 6 yr old is just starting to take an interest now.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Yep, I agree with the others Pride and Prejudice, as well as Emma, Chronicles of Narnia, many of the classics from highschool.

I mostly read nonfiction and I can reread many of those books over and over again, those written by C.S. Lewis, Francis Schaefer and Augustine are a few authors that I continue to read again and again. ~ Farmerswife

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Colleen- I wanted to re-read To Kill a Mockingbird in honor of its 50th Anniversary.

I think it's cool you do a Halloween book every year. One year I read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow at Halloween time- that was fun!

Annie

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I don't re-read much either but two I would take with me to a dessert island??

Anna Karenina and The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. I'd like GWTW too and The Stand by Steven King

Actually, if I was going to a dessert island I'd load lots of stuff on my kindle...

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I don't re-read books often. But I do have favorites I'll remember always. Of those that I actually re-read every so many years, they would probably be:

The Thorn Birds
Life of Pi
James Michener Books (Centennial, Hawaii)
Shogun

I did love the Harry Potter Series, Narnia Series, and Lonesome Dove.

Never heard of Children of the Earth or the one about Amy and the Sailor, Wheel of Time Series or The Outlander (wasn't that a tv show?). I just wrote all of those on my list.

Janette Oke's movie series was on tv and we enjoyed those on tv over the holidays last year. Haven't read the books. My DD loved the movies. We watched them snuggled up in front of the fire. DH and DS rolled their eyes.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I haven't read the Thorn Birds for years and years. Must put this on my list.

Shogun. I love this book too. My DS says it's the book he read that turned him on to reading.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Cindylouwho- Life of Pi- Good One!

I put that down on my list to re-read!

Colleen- Colin Firth- Yes! Very nice!

Annie