What do you collect and how did it start?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Belles

Retire Member
It is always fun listen to people when they go on and on about the things they truley treasure. I was just curious about your "Chirstmas Collections", I for one love Christmas books, my dad gives me at least one very special book every year. It's the very first gift I open on Christmas morning, he sends it home with me on Christmas eve with a note "Do not open unitl Christmas". Most of my books are large colorful storybooks, he started this tradition when I was about 12 years old. Some of my favorties are "Why Christmas Trees aren't Pertfect", "Polar Express", ( love the book, movie was just okay) "The Time Life Book of Christmas". I post the story of how I began my collection on my Chirstams blogg along with photos, I would love for you to read it and share my memories.

So what do you collect and how did you get started.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I don't really collect anything but I do have 3 special Santas in my corner armoire - one is made of wood, 1 is like a rag doll and I have another one that is more primitive. I love them!

Belles I left you a comment on your blog - a wonderful story and precious souvenirs.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I have different areas of things but I guess I would say I collect churches. Started when my great grandma died and either my sister or grandma brought me a church from her auction. It is wood and plays music. Since then I have my other great grandparents church and my grandparents that are plastic and light up. I have some crocheted ones, glass ones. Since I put them out at Christmas I enjoy seeing them.

Belle, your father is such a thoughtful man. A TRUE lover of Christmas. I put Christmas books out and always buy them. I have a kids basket and then the others.

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
Among other things, I collect Willow Tree figurines. It started when I bought my husband one on our honeymoon, and then another for our first anniversary- Promise and Together. I got them for him, but they are ours. I also have the entire nativity, a "congrats" kid and "birthday girl", Friendship, Sisters by Heart, Spirit of Giving, and the angels of winter, spring, summer, and fall. Another friend told me today she got me one for my birthday, which is funny, since 7 of the ones I own I got just this week for my birthday!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I look for pig ornaments and hang them on the mantle. I found two new ones so far this year.

Merry Christmas

MHH Member
Oct 16, 2007
Rocky Mountains
I really don't know how it started...but I collect Snowmen. I love them. I try to buy one special one each year. I have so many the light up that it's fun to just turn all the lights off and sit and look at all of them.

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
I collect Angels but that is throughout the year as well. Thinking about it I've collected Cherish Teddies for years,especially the Christmas pieces. Also I try to pick up at least one Disney ornament a year either from a Disney shop or Disneyland Paris.

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
I collect snowglobes and carousels and i started collecting thomas kinkade things as i love his work i have been collecting snowglobes and carousels since i was in my twenties and about a year and a half or so collecting thomas kinkade but,i also enjoy collecting victorian things i love that era.:friendly::):sleigh:::eek:rnament:

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
When I was 20 or 21, I won a large hunk of money on a radio call in contest. After christmas I was out doing some shopping and a card store had Disney ornaments on clearance. My mom had just given me a bunch of multi colored ornaments to start my own tree the following year and right then, I knew I wanted a Disney tree. 20 years later, my collection has grown...almost out of control... But that tree makes so many people smile. These days, I only buy ornaments that represent the new movie characters. My mom works at hallmark and I had to tell her to stop buying me ALL the mickey and minnie ornaments, becuase I have NO ROOM! She has good intentions, but we already have 3 trees in the house! I had that same star with mickey on it, for years. Finally, I had to get another topper a few years ago. This time I went with a beautiful tinker bell and it looks like she's flying, waving her wand and lighting the Christmas magic! I thought it was fitting!

Last edited:

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
I collect postcards of "virgin mary" from churches/abbeys I have visited from all over the world - I even have one from a church in Madaba/Jordan. I can't remember why or when I started - one day I had the idea for this. And I also try to get information about the background of the artist and other historical facts around the pictures

Chilli

crazymo

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
Little Falls, Mn
My husband loves the look of an old fashioned tree with the old shiny brite ornaments, so I collect old glass ornaments. We have a ton and I just love the look of our tree when it's all decorated. I also collect pieces of the North Pole Village and I have several old nativity pieces. I have been thinking of selling off the nativity and starting a collection of Fontanini but I can't quite make up my mind!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I collect snowflakes and snowmen. I have a tree dedicated to each. My snowflake tree is beautiful but it takes masses amounts of work to pack up. Most of the ornaments are annuals and they have (I'm compulsive about this!) to go back in their right box, pouch, etc. My fiance has started collecting the Gorham sterling silver ornaments for me as well so he watches ebay and adds some to my collection throughout the year. I will miss my trees this year!

StressLess

Retire Member
Jun 4, 2008
Memphis TN
We collect ornaments. We buy a special one each year. Last year, we started a holiday vacation with the children. We have started collecting an ornament from each place we visit.

Christmas Paper

MHH Member
Dec 8, 2008
I collect Christmas Magnets. Have been for quite a long time now or since I have My Victorian House. I try to get a few each year, some years I'm more successful than others. I try to find some at Christmas Church Fairs, so the next time your at one, can you think of Me. I love them, I display them on my Metal 2 Cabinets in my Kitchen, & of course on my Refrigerator.

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I've never thought about it but I guess I do collect something Christmasy. My son adored snowmen when he was a baby. His first Christmas he was 8 months old and just loved looking at snowmen. I was given a Snowman nutcracker (has a snowman face complete with carrot) and a few snowman tea light holders. (I can't find two of my three. Not sure where they went.) Now I watch for snowman stuff! My son is now 5 and my daughter is 2.5y and both love Snowmen still! :)