What is Black friday?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HotMama

MHH Member
Oct 31, 2007
Just been reading the Black Friday link and I'm not sure about what it is? I'm from the UK and never heard of it before. Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
It's the day after Thanksgiving and it's just a day where stores have all kinds of amazing sales and loads of people go shopping. I'm not sure why it's called Black Friday, but it's nothing bad.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
It's a good thing if you can get the good deals. Every Friday after Thanksgiving in the US, stores open really early in the morning offering really low prices for clothes, electronics, home furnishings, toys, etc. It's like an early bird special. The really cheap deals are offered only for a few hours in the morning.

If you're not into crowds then this is not for you. People line up in front of stores as early as midnight. Some people will wait outside the stores the day before. It can be really crazy. Espcially at stores like Best Buys or Circuit City where everyone is trying to get the big flatscreen tv's for nearly half their original price.

I didn't go this year. When I go it's mainly for things for me.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
I've heard it's called 'Black Friday' because the store owners finally go into the 'black' and out of the 'red' on their ledger sheets -- they finally turn a profit for the year!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Holiday Joy when I worked in discount store yes that was their explanation of Black Friday. No store was in the red for the day. According to our news it was this year also.

We have an outlet mall a couple of hours away that for the past two years have been open starting at midnight on Thanksgiving night and have better deals though out the night. We went last year but holy cow the people there. No Way never again.