What is the Most Valuable Section?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
What do you consider the most valuable section(s) of your Christmas notebook. To be honest with you I hadn't used mine regularly in a couple years and then last year I did....it REALLY made a difference. For one thing as long as I know it's in the notebook I don;t have to feel all crazy (lol) trying to keep track of it in my head. These are the sections I used better last year and am again this year too:

Gift List: I've always used this one but I also added a little place to mark when it was actually bought and when it was wrapped!!

Stocking Stuffer and Elf Gifts: Have always used stocking list but added the elf gifts and ideas so we didn't end up with five holiday coloring books...lol

Baking and Menus: Last year I took this to a more organized level by selecting cookies/menus earlier and making the master ingredient list. Then I shopped each week for items needed. This worked out VERY well even though there were some items I still had to wait closer to an event for...but it sure helped the budget!

What sections to you use and have they made a difference??

:rudolph:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Most valuable would be the lists I have of gifts I've given and received. I forget so easy.

Menus: I have lists of what I cooked along with notes of what worked and did not work.

Crafts: Things I'd like to try, this section includes decorating ideas.

Cards: I print off an address list and keep one of that years Christmas cards in this section. I also keep track of who sent cards to me.

Debrief: This is so mislabeled. It contains schedules for cooking and cleaning.

Gift Ideas: Any gift ideas that sound interesting goes here along with my lists of given and received gifts. I do keep a file on my computer desktop for gifts ideas for my family and myself. That way when an idea comes to me I can just write it down quickly.

Recipes: This includes the ones I always make and things I'd like to try. Every two years or so I try to weed out any recipes I have not tried. After all there are always new ones grabbing my attention. And the old ones I can find on the net.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
My most important sections are my gift ideas lists and my elf section. I have been trying to be good at trying to write down all the ideas that pop in my head. When I look through those sections, I often realize how much I like an idea I had wrote down and I had completely forgotten about it. I have a page for each person I buy for to keep track of my ideas for that person in my notebook. I update it periodically on the computer. For all the gifts I have given I change the font color so I remember what I gave. My gift closet inventory is included in this section too, and is important so I know what I have. I have a similar section for all the decorating ideas that pop in my head too. I use this section alot too, but definitely the gift ideas and elf ideas sections are my most helpful.

My next most important would be my two folders for menu planning. I have a yellow one for thanksgiving, and a red one for Christmas that are inside my notebook. Inside the folders I have either a copy of the recipe, or a list of the one's that I am thinking of making. and where they are located. I still need to get more organized with my shopping lists though, way too many 2nd trips because I forgot something.

Last edited:

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Calendars, meals and menu planning! Love writing out menu plans, and editing from one year to the next.

I have been keeping all shopping lists on my iPhone, using a gift app... it keeps track of 'what & for whom' and if I wrapped or mailed it as I enter data. It also keeps a running tally of expenses, gifts left to buy (from the info I entered). Makes it a little easier for me, as I always carry my phone.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
As for me ...

My sections are Gifts List! Who's it for, how much and is it wrapped yet!!!

I use card list for addresses.

What's in the gift closet!!

Holiday Traditions: what we like to do every year or a new fun tradition idea!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I'm enjoying reading this thread.

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
This is a really tough question for me - I'm big on writing everything down, so all the sections get used.

If I had to pick one though... it would be the Meals and Menus section. This is where I have menus listed for every event that I will be preparing food for. From the "card writing party" I have with my mum and my sister (that's this week!) through to Boxing Day. I also have a master ingredient / shopping list for each. I would be lost without this section!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
It's funny but I do not have a shopping list for my Christmas menu. My Thanksgiving notebook has a very detailed list. Will make a list this year for Christmas.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I use parts of mine, but my gift list is the MOST important thing. It keeps track of what I have, when I've boxed it and what numbers each gift are assigned. Then checked marked when wrapped, so I don't miss anything. Next, I would say my swap list. Same thing...keeps my numbers in order, the cost spent and info on my partner.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I must agree, my Gift List and Stocking Stuffers list are the most "dog-eared" sections of my NB. But my calendar pages are a huge help also...I put "due dates" on it for cleaning and special projects not suitable for prying eyes, so they aren't on the family calendar in the kitchen.

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
Definitely my gift lists. I write down everything I want to get for each person, and then I underline them when I actually have them. It's very helpful to be able to look back at what I gave them in previous years, too. I have good intentions about using the rest of my sections, but I only do it sporadically. Hopefully I'll get better at it.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I use my calendar and gift section the most. I need to do better with the recipe/grocery section. One of the forms I really like is the black Friday sales form. On Thanksgiving afternoon, I sit down and pour over the sale papers and internet and write down what is where.

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
I have to say that I don't have a real christmas notebook. So far I only have notes and to-do lists but somehow I don't find time to collect this in a real notebook. This is very sad, as I had so many ideas for notebooks: Seasonal notebooks, Birthday Notebook, rainy day notebook (children activities), holiday notebook.

But I don't know when.... :-(

Chilli

goodpace

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Elizabeth City, NC
Believe it or not my decorating sections. I move around often and I use certain decorations in certain rooms like themes. So when I come across an item that doesn't fit in I can check with past themes and inventory and somehow make it work.

I have another smaller Christmas planner with tear pages of decorating ideas, recipes I'd like to try, and quick cleaning tips kept in one of those multi-pocket folders so I can flip through quickly.

Then next it would have to be my recipes which my family would throttle me if I lost their favorite side dish, cookie, and candy recipes from throughout the years!