What tastes like Home?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

JodyLynn

Retire Member
Jul 18, 2008
Thanksgiving & Christmas dinner are always the same for us. My sister and her family are not here for Thanksgiving but they are for Christmas, so we have a T-giving redo.

Turkey
Mom's dressing (wouldn't be holidays without it)
Green bean casserole
Scalloped oysters
Corn casserole
Sweet potatoes
Rolls
Pumpkin pie (sometimes for Christmas there's an additional dessert, but almost always pumpkin pie is one of the choices)

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
MrsSoup, i agree with you. I like things the same, lol. I am such a creature of habit and we have the same meal for Thanksgiving and Christmas. You can anything you want but you can't take anything away, lol. I too have had a holiday meal at ex-inlaws and was so disappointed by their holiday meal as it was nothing like i was used to.

Our holiday meal:

turkey (sometimes my brothers family will bring a ham)
stuffing
mashed potatoes
gravy
green beans and carrots
cream corn
brown and serve rolls
salad (i think only my mom eats this, lol)
jellied cranberry sauce
black and green olives
celery w/cream cheese
pumpkin pie
oreo stuff

sometimes we have my chocolate fountain or other desserts, sometimes my sister in law makes homemeade rolls or green bean casserole, and sometimes they bring a ham, but nothing from above gets replaced, just added ;)

masslass

Retire Member
Nov 10, 2008
Massachusetts, USA
Thanksgiving for me just has to include:
  • roast turkey (brined before roasting so it stays juicy) and gravy
    mashed or roasted potatoes
    garlic green beans (saute green beans in a bit of olive oil and add chopped garlic and salt - delicious!)
    whole-berry cranberry sauce
    baked or mashed butternut squash w/maple syrup and butter
    rolls
    some kind of salad, usually romaine and spinach with oranges and walnuts and red wine vinaigrette
    pumpkin and apple pie

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
When I was growing up in Baltimore, everything was steeped in tradition. On Thanksgiving :turkey: , my foster mother's family always came to our house. She was one of five children. Each of the siblings were married, and there were all the cousins, 11 or 12 of us. Her parents were from (late) Victorian England. I loved their accents, except we couldn't always understand Pop's thick Cockney accent. We always had the same things: turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, veggies, cranberry sauce (jellied), rolls. But desserts!!! Ah, pumpkin pie, mince meat pie, but the very best was the English plum pudding with hard sauce. The grownups were around the dining room table, while we younger ones were in the breakfast and sitting rooms. Ahhhh, memories, memories. What I would give for just one more time....

:bigsnow: